Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Severe Weather Warning - Thursday (27.02.20)

39 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Looks like Mother Nature voted against Brexit too!

Hope you're all warm and bunkered up!

storm.jpg

Or just offers a thorough rinse cleaning of all evil attracted while being part of EU.😬

Stay safe, everyone. 

The just completed new apartment house across the street with high ceilings and very high and wide windows and and sliding doors has some type of window covers on the outside. Not like normal jalousie but more like rollo shades. Many of them are closed now. We will see what happens in the night.

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

Now apparently, Planet Neptune has winds of 1,900 Km/h. 

Pfft. 1900kmh is nothing. Girlies.

45 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

is this the big boom you have been promising

Boom! Oh it's coming alright: Maybe he was warning us in 2017:

He looks scared. tbh, Now "we" know what he knows, I'd also be bricking it! :)

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I battened down my garden and terrace stuff and so far...

As did we, apart from an ancient and somewhat brittle rose-arbour seat thing - just didn't think about that. It is now on it's back in the flower bed below. Hey ho. At least it fell away from the house.

47 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

is this the big boom you have been promising

:lol: The Storm is here....

Glad you got home, @LeonG - stuff the boss, stay safe. My ridiculous other half is still intending to drive an hour in the morning to do a tour of a monument on top of a hill with a large group. Duh. Hopefully they will all change their minds now the wind is windy, as it were.

56 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Or just offers a thorough rinse cleaning of all evil attracted while being part of EU.😬

To be rinsed of Evil, you need the Winds of Neptune! Perhaps HF99 would like to take the lead? :ph34r::lol:

Munich seems to have dodged the windy bullet though.

@LeonG Glad you made it home safe! Random flying STOP signs can be extremely hazardous to health!

@kiplette I hope your OH sees sense soon! https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.13;10.42;7&l=wind-900hpa&t=20200210/0900&w=0DAKtpv2A

26 minutes ago, kiplette said:

As did we, apart from an ancient and somewhat brittle rose-arbour seat thing - just didn't think about that. It is now on it's back in the flower bed below. Hey ho. At least it fell away from the house.

Oh bugger, I may have to rebuild my home built rose arch this spring....

9 hours ago, HEM said:

At least that means not such a risk of a "Sturmflut" in Hamburg as North-West is bad for that.

Well, 9 hours on, things changed a bit... 

09.02.2020, 19:43
Für die deutsche Nordseeküste besteht die Gefahr einer Sturmflut.

Am Montag werden das Nachmittag-Hochwasser an der deutschen Nordseeküste und in Emden sowie das Abend-Hochwasser in Bremen und Hamburg 1,5 bis 2 m höher als das mittlere Hochwasser eintreten.

Die Sturmflutgefahr besteht bis etwa 10.02.2020, 17:35

09.02.2020, 19:43
The German North Sea coast is in danger of a storm surge.
On Monday, the afternoon high tide on the German North Sea coast and in Emden and the evening high tide in Bremen and Hamburg

will occur 1.5 to 2 m higher than the mean high tide.

The storm surge danger exists until about 10.02.2020, 17:35

(Translated by deepl.com)

Latest news here:      Storm Floodwarning (German)

Only 2m higher than normal, but probably floods the Hamburg Fischmarket - so don't park down there!

Some good comes from the high wind speed : 

Experts are hailing a British Airways flight as the fastest subsonic New York to London journey.

The Boeing 747-436 reached speeds of 825 mph (1,327 km/h) as it rode a jet stream accelerated by Storm Ciara.

The four hours and 56 minutes flight arrived at Heathrow Airport 80 minutes ahead of schedule on Sunday morning.

Storm Ciara helps plane beat transatlantic flight record

Cool. That's Mach 1.

My good news is that I gathered a seat in the U-Bahn this morning as it was quite empty at 9 am.

Trampoline destroyed... Barn door ripped of its hinges... 

It could have been worse!

I'm making a second attempt at my train ride. I phoned the DB hotline this morning and they had no idea what was up. The website shows trains running and suddenly cancelled. The one I'm on is moving anyway. So far so good.

Somebody sent me this on WhatsApp.

Storm give away, put everything you don't want outside your door and see who'll end up with it.

IMG-20200210-WA0006.jpg

Train update. They just announced that my train is stopping in Dortmund while it should have continued to Cologne. The problem seems to be with staff though, not with the tracks. They announced earlier that they had agreed to bring it to Dortmund although they were not supposed to go that far and I guess nobody is there to take over. However they say the local trains are running so no problem for ppl to get where they are going, just a bit more slowly.

Freising
Warning for Near Hurricane Force Gusts
Warning for Near Hurricane Force Gusts in effect until Friday, 4:00 AM CET. Source: Deutscher Wetterdienst
Less
There is a risk of violent storm gusts (Level 3 of 4). Max. gusts: < 115 km/h; Wind direction: west

Aye, here in Günzkofen (Landshut-ish) it was a bit breezy last night and I woke up to having a load of icy snow dumped on me.

Right now it's a beautiful afternoon but distant dark clouds over the mountains don't bode well for the morrow.

A journey that usually takes 1 hour, yesterday took 5 and half ... 

Bloody snow can piss off now!!   

An update on the DB train cancellation party on Feb. 9 and the aftermath.  I sent in a refund form and they didn't refund what I spent to get home on the 9th and from the 10th they only refunded me the second seat reservation and gave me a 25% discount due to a 76 min. delay.  This doesn't even cover my costs.  They had registered me as having traveled on the 9th but actually my train was 76 min. + 1 day late.  I phoned them and the lady said "it isn't a wish concert and you should have known there was a weather warning".  I told her that yes, I knew there was a weather warning but I had an economy ticket tied to those trains and as they didn't put it up on their website beforehand that these trains would be cancelled, I had to start my trip, otherwise, if the trains had continued to run, I would be explaining to my boss why I didn't travel and lost a day of work plus why I need to buy a new ticket.  She said I should send in again and protest.  I will be doing that but now I know that the correct action would have been to stand in the long line in Hannover at the time and demand that DB get me a hotel for the night rather than try to get back home fast while trains were still running.