Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Severe Weather Warning - Thursday (27.02.20)

39 posts in this topic

Thanks, its looking as if there is going to ba a lot of wind on and off here in the north for pretty much all Feb. Everything is well battened down here and hopefully the roof tiles will stay on the roof.

My sailing club meteorologist took the unusual step of sending an email to all.at.the.club to warn us.

Seems the wind will be west then southwest (for us northerners). 

The worry is not the strength, but the duration of the blow.

So watch out for loose tiles, untidy tarpaulins, dry branches, as well as being careful on the roads near high sided trucks. 

And of course, sailboats poorly covered and outside on dry land.

Stay safe!

The wind is picking up a bit... 25 KM NW from FFM

Wetteronline.de for Munich says the strong winds will begin in the evening/night and be even stronger tomorrow and Tues. 

I hope we don't get blown away walking out for our 24th anniversary dinner tonight!

On 7.2.2020, 23:56:52, HH_Sailor said:

Seems the wind will be west then southwest (for us northerners).

At least that means not such a risk of a "Sturmflut" in Hamburg as North-West is bad for that.

Here (West of Hamburg) I can confirm South-West wind.

Wife + daughter & others are trying to bring the 4 yearlings from their open stall into the main building.

Luckily the trees have no leaves.

I'm on the RB from Salzgitter to Braunschweig right now and the train conductor just told us that they are stopping this RB after this run. It's a bumpy ride for sure. Now the question whether my other trains are running.

Update, second train got me to Hannover but all trains are stopped here and nobody knows anything

Update, got on one of the few trains still running to go back to Braunschweig. Hope to make it home this evening and try again tomorrow :)

I battened down my garden and terrace stuff and so far....

nothing.  Not a peep.  I think it's been rescheduled for the middle of the night.  

Ciara, Sabine, typical woman, always the same, come at you with the promise of wet and wild with a lot of sucking and blowing and when they have left the house is gone...!

In the German news they showed storm tourists on the seaside. Two were blown away and swept over the pavement for 10 meters. I guess they are too stupid to follow advice and stay indoors. 

Ok I'm home. Some private companies like enno and Westfalen Bahn were still running.

It's pretty wild out there. I had 15 min to walk from the bus stop and just saw an NP sign crash into a parked car a couple of meters in front of me. Didn't think to take pictures though but I'm not going out again for it.

Stay safe, folks in Germany. I am bitching because I am cold in the office right now and we have had 30 k winds a couple of times the past couple of days but hope we are safe from what you good folks are facing.

By the way as I told my boss I can't make it to work tomorrow he suggested I drive tomorrow morning instead. I asked him if he thinks that's safe then and if he's that bothered about losing a project day and then he's all like oh no it's not about the money.  Like hell it isn't ;)

Jesus! 

It's just a bit windy.

I bet if the media hadn't blown it all out of proportion everyone would still be out flying kites and having romantic strolls in the park. 

Now apparently, Planet Neptune has winds of 1,900 Km/h. 

That's windy! 

26 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Ok I'm home. Some private companies like enno and Westfalen Bahn were still running.

It's pretty wild out there. I had 15 min to walk from the bus stop and just saw an NP sign crash into a parked car a couple of meters in front of me. Didn't think to take pictures though but I'm not going out again for it.

Reminds me how I gave up sugar in my tea and coffee, Leon! Many years ago, I ran out of sugar where I lived in Hamburg..and there was a Tankstelle which sold it but it started snowing  one evening and I wasn´t go out there! No sugar since!

Glad you made it back home safe, babe! Stay safe!

49 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Schools closed tomorrow. Trains cancelled. Gonna be a big one. Storm hits at 5am.

is this the big boom you have been promising