Help with Briefmarkenautomat (postage stamp machine)

29 posts in this topic

Hello. I've been in Stuttgart for a month now, and things are mostly going well except I still need to find a doctor and somewhere permanent to live. Minor problems.

I'm feeling slightly defeated by Germany today as I have some letters to send and I can't manage to buy stamps. I'd noticed die Post has a machine to buy stamps, and it looked simple enough. Chose the number of stamps I wanted, standard letter etc., but I couldn't work out what to do next. There's a green button which looks like it should have an option like "Bestätigung" (confirmation) on it, but it didn't appear. I tried to put money in the slot, but it was blocked and there was a message about card payments not being available. In my desperation I put it into English, and I was pleased to see that I'd understood the German perfectly and the English didn't help at all. There was a second machine outside that did exactly the same, so it doesn't seem likely it's the particular machine.

Does anyone know how these machines work? I found a couple of videos on YouTube and sure enough they show the option "Bestätigung" that simply doesn't appear when I try. Is it somehow detecting that I'm no longer an EU citizen ;-)

Re stamps- I go into PO  with mail and ask at the counter  for stamps. There are different prices for different sizes!  Show the letter and destination.

8 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

If op cannot manage after viewing video, then quicker to go inside!!

Thanks - that's the point. I feel like a complete numptie. I don't want to make it worse by telling someone I can't work the machine ;-)

14 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

not if they are closed.. 

go during opening times?

6 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Thanks - that's the point. I feel like a complete numptie. I don't want to make it worse by telling someone I can't work the machine ;-)

Don´t worry about it. Don´t feel like a numptie. Just smile and ask for help. It´s not World War 3.

6 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I feel like a complete numptie. I don't want to make it worse by telling someone I can't work the machine ;-)

Don't tell them you don't know how to work the machine. Just go to the counter.

BTW, you might want to also buy the self-adhesive stamp packs for future use.

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Don't tell them you don't know how to work the machine. Just go to the counter.

BTW, you might want to also buy the self-adhesive stamp packs for future use.

Second point of :Pyours..another video?

PS: I am going to Hamburg in March for a week and am DREADING those Automaten at the S-Bahn. So bloody complicated and I am expecting some " senior moments."

:lol:

As for the " go in and buy stamps" comments.. 

Some folks work on industrial estates and can't get to a post office easily during opening times..  Some or should I say most post offices come with the DIN standard 30 minute queue... 

If I decided that I needed to use public transport to get to my post office, there are only 3 busses per day that would get me there during opening hours... 

So a stamp dispenser is sometimes a God send

That is true, Spider, if  you live in the sticks. Or even if you don´t live in the sticks.

When I first arrived in Hamburg 30 years ago, the Hamburger Sparkasse used to close for lunch..and I wasn´t living in the sticks but in town.So my lunch free time coincided with their fuck-you time!

:P

By the way, our post office in town ( 20 kilometres away ) has closed down. The other one..also around 20 kilometres away in another town is still open but you wait for ever whilst they chat away and have a coffee...at some stage, they  wake up and serve you. But if Manolis´s cousin or Petra´s daughter is there first...you wait..but you get used to it! Different worldl!

Himself does all of our postage online with DP. He just measures and weighs if necessary with our digital kitchen scale and prints out the address labels with postage. Of course, I don't know how to do it myself. B) Still have to walk to the Postamt to mail things that are too big for post boxes or put them in the Packstation around the corner which I also don't know how to use.

Thanks. Of course I didn't go and ask because there was a big queue. But I want to know now. I was hoping somebody would say: "Aha - you forgot the choose secret option #7", or perhaps that there's a minimum price, or something else non-obvious.

Apparently you can send a text and they respond with a code you just write on the letter, but that's not working for me either. Perhaps because I have a prepaid German number.

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Himself does all of our postage online with DP. He just measures and weighs if necessary with our digital kitchen scale and prints out the address labels with postage. Of course, I don't know how to do it myself. B) Still have to walk to the Postamt to mail things that are too big for post boxes or put them in the Packstation around the corner which I also don't know how to use.

Oh god yet another thread where you`re sounding more and more like my other half 

Beginning to wonder if it`s not her posting under a pseudonym ;)

37 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Oh god yet another thread where you`re sounding more and more like my other half 

Beginning to wonder if it`s not her posting under a pseudonym ;)

Nice to hear that you love me, too!

I cannot say how it is in larger cities, but most villages and smaller towns have a shop that works in conjunction with DP.  Whilst we have a DP here, I would more often than not frequent the flower shop where I would send off packages and buy stamps (it was closer and more convenient).  Now it's a small grocery store that does it as the flower shop closed.  Never a queue and I get me shopping done at the same time.