Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Renting a car without a driving licence

3 posts in this topic

A colleague of mine from Russia has been going to business trips in Germany & Europe by rented cars with his Russian driving licence. He has been registered in Germany for about 6 years, and the validity of his driving licence after the first 6 months is over. 

Company has an agreement with a car rental company, and the booking is carried out through an internal system. During the handover of the car, he shows his Russian driving licence.

We wonder, in the case of an accident, apart from his personal responsibility, will the rental company, and our company be held responsible? 

If yes, how? 

Could it legally effect his line manager, because he (theoretically) let him drive with an invalid driving licence?

one possible scenario after an accident:

Rental company 'He showed us a valid drivers license. We have no idea where he lives'

Company 'We assumed he had a valid drivers license because he agreed to drive the car.'

I would say that if he is registered her and Germany is main place of residency, then he is driving illegally

It is not the duty of the rental company to ensure that he has complied with the law of the land.  it is only their duty to ensure that he has a valid driving permit...  If he lies to them.. he is at fault..

I am sure it will be in the Rental companies T+Cs