Distance learning for High Schoolers

4 posts in this topic

In my past research, I remember some people were allowed to homeschool if their child was enrolled in an accredited distance learning program. I am looking for a list of high school programs accepted by German officials.

In a side note, I know there is/was a program for German children living outside the country. Does anyone know the name of that program?

6 hours ago, cherry_moon39 said:

In my past research, I remember some people were allowed to homeschool if their child was enrolled in an accredited distance learning program. I am looking for a list of high school programs accepted by German officials.

Well, i hope your German is up to par for this...

Only official list: https://www.zfu.de/suche/

That's the Staatliche Zentralstelle für Fernunterricht, the official accreditation agency for distance learning courses.

Select "staatlich/schulische Prüfung" in the Abschluss dropdown menu. You can filter the titles of programmes further with the "Filtern" field entering e.g. "Real" for finding those mentioning a Realschulabschluss. You can also sort by title, cost etc. Go through the results in detail as most courses will be targeted towards adults - most such programmes are for people who want to get a Realschulabschluss or Abitur later in life.

To cut your search short though:

https://www.zfu.de/suche/134306

https://www.zfu.de/suche/126700

Those two are the only distance learning programmes targeted towards teenagers.

• The first sorta mostly specializes in kids who are in acting or sports careers; starts at grade 6.
  • The second specializes in children with various problems requiring intervention under SGB VIII - read: the Jugendamt is involved - with the target of getting them back in school; starts at grade 7.

Both schools together have about 125 alumni per year, 80% of them at the second of the above.

You can btw also easily find them among all 270 or so results for "staatlich/schulische Prüfung" without filtering by just sorting descending by cost. Because yes, these are a bit pricey.

There are no distance learning programmes that are accredited Ersatzschulen. What these distance learning programmes do is prepare someone for the Externenprüfung for a degree. Final exams for degrees are held at a designated state school near their offices. Precondition for these distance learning courses is that the local Schulamt individually lifts the Schulpflicht for the child.

Also note that there are no programmes for children above 10th grade / beyond a Realschulabschluss. This is because children at this age are berufsschulpflichtig in various ways depending on the state they live in.