Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

30 days in the USA, need a data SIM card

8 posts in this topic

I will be in the USA for a month.

I need a data SIM card, prepaid, as my current SIM card doesn't cover the USA for data.

Can anybody point out how this is done in the USA? Like "go to Walmart, choose a data plan, show your passport and pay"?

Hints appreciated!

@franklan Hey, walk into any Walmart, Walgreens, or CVS and you can get one for about $10-29USD. You won't have to show any passport. Normally, you go back to wherever you have an internet connection and do all the set up online. I use either AT&T or Tracfone when I'm in the US for longer than the usual 2 weeks.

Franklan,

You might also look at the Pay As You Go plans from Three UK.  United States is considered "roam at home", so there sim cards work in the US as if in the UK (I've tried it, and they do work).  They have pretty generous data allotments for the price:  10Gb for 15L, 20Gb for 20L, 36Gb for 27.50L, Unlimited for 35L.    

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

I've bought their sim cards on eBay, activated them and added funds before travelling to Europe.  

S.

If your phone is eSIM compatible it is pretty easy, you install the app and buy the eSIM from there and activate it.  But very few phones support eSIM, AFAIK it is only the latest iPhones and Google Pixel and the Samsung S20.