Brexit, New residence permits

261 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

I stand corrected. Looking at the EU blue-card website, it's clear that you are right.

That was the only interpretation of the text on the Berlin site linked that made any sense to me.

The current version of that site says:-

Sorry @pappnase, I was obviously referring to your post and not snowingagain's.

The official information on the Berlin site is not technically wrong, however, it is misleading. Unless the applicant has a new contract meeting the Blue Card requirements of the Member State where the applicant intends to move, I can see little advantage of the Blue Card. 

Update: After an email sent to the Landkreis Göttingen in early december, yesterday I received an email with a letter stating that after a preliminary investigation I met the criteria for receiving the GB-Residence card ( made my employer happy ). Also was an invite to a meeting late in April to check my identity and take my finger prints. I need to take the following:

• Passport
  • Biometric photo
  • An extended Meldebeschinigung
  • Daueraufentshaltskarte ( which I do not have )

Hope this helps....

A Daueraufenthalskarte sounds like the thing you're meant to be getting, not taking. Or is that something else?

Still waiting for an appointment. A bit frustrating - I'd hoped by applying by email on the day I first received a letter I'd be at the front of the queue. Maybe they haven't got around to it yet, or perhaps they're doing it in reverse order or something. 

Be careful on the "extended Meldebeschinigung" requirement, or perhaps seek clarification if needs be. For the citizenship application process my Landkreis in Brandenburg also asked me for that but when I turned up with one from where I currently live, they said, "oh no, you need ones from everywhere you've lived in Germany" so I had to request one from Berlin also (it was trivial and could be done remotely even before Corona but the requirements list wasn't really clear that they meant "all the way back to when you arrived in the country".

Maybe it's not the same or they don't care as long as you can prove x years residency or whatever they are looking for but something to watch.

On 18/03/2021, 07:20:29, Cheekyfox said:

Update: After an email sent to the Landkreis Göttingen in early december, yesterday I received an email with a letter stating that after a preliminary investigation I met the criteria for receiving the GB-Residence card ( made my employer happy ). Also was an invite to a meeting late in April to check my identity and take my finger prints. I need to take the following:

• Passport
  • Biometric photo
  • An extended Meldebeschinigung
  • Daueraufentshaltskarte ( which I do not have )

Hope this helps...

In anticipation that Munich will be asking for the same, what is a Biometric photo and where can you get one?

21 hours ago, murphaph said:

Be careful on the "extended Meldebeschinigung" requirement, or perhaps seek clarification if needs be.

Don't get that I understood that the "Brexit" qualification was that you needed to be resident on the 31 Dec-20, not that some number of years residency was required?

A biometric photo is one which fulfills specific requirements in terms of size of face in frame and usually there are other specific attributes such as no glasses, hair not tied back or whatever the destination authority wants.

eg. a UK passport photo is biometric and you have to abide by the guidelines set else they will reject it.

Presumably there are requirements available online to show what you need, or maybe the machines at stations etc for biometric pictures are set to a German national standard if there is one?

Maybe someone has actually done it recently - we did some, but now over two years ago and I have no idea what the standard was or how we found out. Sorry.

A local photo studio will certainly know, but whether visiting one is a possibility under Covid is probably different everywhere depending on case numbers.

2 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Maybe someone has actually done it recently - we did some, but now over two years ago and I have no idea what the standard was or how we found out. Sorry.

I found a suitable photo  machine this week.  Try googling Passfoto automat or similar, and town you live in. 

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

a UK passport photo is biometric and you have to abide by the guidelines set else they will reject it.

OK thanks for the info, I still have some photos taken for a recent UK passport application. Anyone know if they take them in electronic form as per the UK passport?

You may want to check if the rules for Munich's biometric photos are the same as the UK. 

"Biometric photo" confused me at first when applying for a German driver's licence. I imagined it was some special machine to which you had to give a DNA sample ;-) But I was able to use a year-old passport photo from a machine in the UK, and I still have one left for this. 

Fingerprints is a new one. Do they do that for all Germans? Does this mean I'm going to have to give up burglary?

Any burglar worth his salt is dressed in black, masked and wearing gloves.

Fingerprinting seems to be fast becoming universal. In France every applicant for an ID card or passport now has to get fingerprinted.

Big Brother is watching us. More and more. Lately, especially since Covid, I feel like the noose is tightening around our necks.

Cops in Germany don't even bother do fingerprints for burglaries.  They just say to hash it out with your insurance and goodbye.

So yeah, I'd say your burglary career is still good.

On 3/17/2021, 9:31:34, engelchen said:

Quite simply, the DA-EU (unlike FoM for EU citizens) requires sufficient funds to cover living expenses and does not include the automatic right to work.

The problem here is not my ignorance of the laws, but rather yours. 

The UK is no longer apart of the EU. Deal with it. 

The DA-EU like most other residence permits for 3rd country nationals has income requirements. Within Germany it offers automatic right of work and residence. In other EU countries, a German-issued DA-EU offers an automatic right of residence.

For DA-EU it is NOT a high income requirement, despite Engelchen insinuating you need to be part of some fantasy super rich elite to satisfy. You just need to be employed to a level you can support yourself.

In fact, the DA-EU income requirement is *considerably* lower than the EU blue card, since you just have to be earning a living - any living - and can be comparatively fairly low paid on a DA-EU. Flipping burgers is enough for a DA-EU. Flipping burgers is not enough for a blue card.

With regards to Brexit, an exception is also made as per WA for Brits in Germany (/ rest of EU) to get the Aufenthaltskarte-GB or equivalent (if they satisfy 5+ yrs residence) which Americans/Canadians etc cannot ever access.

This document should not have a minimum income requirement, although some poorly trained Beamter might initially mistakenly ask for it, until you insist that you are treated differently from other 3rd country nationals as part of the WA (just as EU27 nationals in UK should insist on being treated differently from other non-Brit in UK residents as part of the WA.

17 hours ago, optimista said:

Any burglar worth his salt is dressed in black, masked and wearing gloves.

Don't forget the sack over the shoulder with SWAG written on it!

21 hours ago, kiplette said:

You may want to check if the rules for Munich's biometric photos are the same as the UK. 

Yes thanks for that will do if they ever get round to offering me an appointment.:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, paulwork said:

In other EU countries, a German-issued DA-EU offers an automatic right of residence.

Oh really?

19 hours ago, paulwork said:

The DA-EU like most other residence permits for 3rd country nationals has income requirements. Within Germany it offers automatic right of work and residence. In other EU countries, a German-issued DA-EU offers an automatic right of residence.

For DA-EU it is NOT a high income requirement, despite Engelchen insinuating you need to be part of some fantasy super rich elite to satisfy. You just need to be employed to a level you can support yourself.

That is not what I said, but I can't be bothered to correct you. 

WARNING: I WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING PAULWORK'S ADVICE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, I'M NOT WASTING ANY MORE TIME CORRECTING HIM! 

On 3/21/2021, 7:20:05, engelchen said:

That is not what I said, but I can't be bothered to correct you. 

WARNING: I WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING PAULWORK'S ADVICE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, I'M NOT WASTING ANY MORE TIME CORRECTING HIM! 

On 3/17/2021, 9:31:34, engelchen said:

Warning - very bitter person with a shouty penchant for caps locks and bold typeface (in parallel, no less) gets even more uppity than usual.

More chips on shoulders than down at The Battered Cod on a Friday night.

On 4.3.2021, 08:58:11, RenegadeFurther said:

Germany chose to use a declaratory system.

On 4.3.2021, 13:06:55, Dembo said:

But we all have to send off a form before the end of June,

Just come off the Teams session with SSAFA, Rafe the consul and Prisca (or that's what it sounded like) from the Berlin Amt and it became clear that it is indeed declaratory. Your rights are enshrined no matter what.

The 30th June isn't a thing. You can wait 10 years to apply, that's clear, but Prisca made it clear that it may become harder to get the document the longer you wait because it may become more complicated to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt where you were on and before the 31st December 2020 or whatever the cut-off was. Also, (my addition) with the federal system, you run more risk of getting a clueless caseworker who makes life hard the longer you wait, because it's a thing of the moment and will eventually become something Beamter get confused about.

Honestly although they are still pushing the 30th June it looks more as if they know if there's no deadline we're such a bunch of administrative losers none of us will bother dealing with it until it becomes personally absolutely necessary, so giving us a homework deadline means most of us will hand it in and therefore fewer laggards will come out of the woodwork later. Win/win.