Brexit, New residence permits

259 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Heidelbumm said:

I mean if I don't get the erlaubnis to stay, how long can I stay?

With the covid lockdown, is going even possible?

The requirement to register wasn't until 30th June, so you're probably okay to do nothing until then. But if you can't support yourself then under the old freedom of movement rules you could be asked to leave after 3 months anyway. It interesting that they seemed to have used this as an excuse to check up on us; I can't help feeling goes against the spirit of the law - i.e. that we should keep what we had as EU citizens and shouldn't have to start applying or providing proof.

The UK would have to let you in. You might have to go into quarantine.

On 2/13/2021, 11:28:33, Dembo said:

I can't help feeling goes against the spirit of the law - i.e. that we should keep what we had as EU citizens and shouldn't have to start applying or providing proof.

On 2/11/2021, 11:33:33, Heidelbumm said:

I fully agree with that sentiment, it would easier to simply give us all permission, especially in a lockdown.

Hear, hear. Or is it here, here?

Not only is the onus on us poor buggers to supply proof, but the proof has to fulfill certain conditions...

On 13/02/2021, 10:37:58, Heidelbumm said:

I mean if I don't get the erlaubnis to stay, how long can I stay?

Till they catch you. In practice.

Upon leaving the country I imagine (sorry to demonstrate my lack of knowledge of how things work in Germany and to fail to quote a source, so possibly wasting your time but someone will be along shortly to provide concrete evidence) you might be liable for a fine when they check your passport if you have outstayed your welcome (30 June + 3 months?) without obtaining documents justifying your residence.

Anyone got the new residence permit yet???

It has been nearly 3 months since I sent in the form and got a confirmation, here in Munich, but not a peep since!:mellow:

23 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Anyone got the new residence permit yet???

It has been nearly 3 months since I sent in the form and got a confirmation, here in Munich, but not a peep since!:mellow:

Have you had your appointment at the KVR yet?

You should have received a letter in the post a few weeks after your submission, saying you need to go into the KVR and pay the fees.

48 minutes ago, Electro said:

Have you had your appointment at the KVR yet?

You should have received a letter in the post a few weeks after your submission, saying you need to go into the KVR and pay the fees.

No nothing since the confirmation of receipt of the form.

Have you had an appointment?

21 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Have you had an appointment?

Yup, I got my letter on the 28th December with my appointment information and just had my appointment today.

9 minutes ago, Electro said:

Yup, I got my letter on the 28th December with my appointment information and just had my appointment today.

Hmm, quick question, does your surname begin with a letter in the first half of the alphabet or second?

Nothing here in Stuttgart. I got the confirmation and still waiting for an appointment letter.

In Hamburg, the website says fill in the registration online, and then wait to hear. about an appointment. I assume this is from the Bezirksamt, and not the Central Ausslanderbehorde, as the local Bezirksamter clearly deal with Ausslander visas etc.

Has anybody had an invitation for an appointment yet?  The cut off is given as the end of June 2021, but I assume we are ok if they are just slow getting their act together , and they won't turn around and say, sorry tough luck, you missed the deadline.  In some ways, I don't mind them taking their time with Corona cases still high in Hamburg. 

In Schleswig-Holstein (at least my area) I got a letter saying I did not need to do anything as My Name vos also on ze Liste & they would contact me to collect card and pay x Euros.

My letter confirms I'm allowed to be Erwerbstätig until 31st December, so clearly Stuttgart don't think they're getting it done by June. The deadline was just to apply, although if you don't have something that says otherwise your employer shouldn't allow you to work.

On 2/24/2021, 11:17:30, Electro said:

I echo that. I live in Munich as well and had my appointment yesterday. Was told I should get the permit within a couple of weeks. 

I wouldn't be too worried about not having the appointment yet. The system is apparently quite slow, and a couple of days difference in sending in the application could mean weeks/months difference in time-to-invite. Someone I know applied at around the same time as me and got an appointment for end of March. 

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

In Hamburg, the website says fill in the registration online, and then wait to hear. about an appointment. I assume this is from the Bezirksamt, and not the Central Ausslanderbehorde, as the local Bezirksamter clearly deal with Ausslander visas etc.

Has anybody had an invitation for an appointment yet?  The cut off is given as the end of June 2021, but I assume we are ok if they are just slow getting their act together , and they won't turn around and say, sorry tough luck, you missed the deadline.  In some ways, I don't mind them taking their time with Corona cases still high in Hamburg. 

Don't quote me on this, but I thought you would just need to register by end of June. Your 'temporary' residence card should be valid till end of the year. THe question comes to what happens if you still haven't received an invite by then... well, I guess that's an unlikely situation given the 'German Efficiency' with paperwork

4 hours ago, Munich Explorer said:

Don't quote me on this, but I thought you would just need to register by end of June. Your 'temporary' residence card should be valid till end of the year. THe question comes to what happens if you still haven't received an invite by then... well, I guess that's an unlikely situation given the 'German Efficiency' with paperwork

I think you are probably right that the online registration is all I can do at the moment, but unless someone knows for definite, I'd better follow it up with contacting the Bezirksamt.  On Hamburg's website they've said all the Amter are experiencing delays at the moment due to the Covid situation.  Still, I don't want to take any chances. 

BTW,  I haven't got any residence card, temporary or otherwise.  Only registered with the Einwohneramt. 

Can anyone think of ways that changing address to another Land right now might really complicate things?

I have not been contacted at all. I am currently living in Niedersachsen, but will need to move around a month or so from now.

I have an option of a place just over the border in NRW or possibly in Hesse.

At a push, I could find accommodation in Niedersachsen; this would be less desirable, but I might be swayed if it avoids a holy mess.

[Associated question: what are the main hassles from moving to another Land in terms of bureaucracy? I cannot think of anything major but maybe there are some things I don't know about? Insurance and tax registration would seem to make no difference...]

Thanks for any insights anyone can give.

Once you move outside your Gemeinde or Landkreis you're looking at a new Einwohnermeldeamt anyway so just staying inside the Land isn't likely to be of any particular benefit. At least that's the way it is in Brandenburg. My citizenship application was processed by Landkreis Havelland here in Brandenburg. If I'd moved to another Landkreis the whole process would have been interrupted or restart. I don't know which.

As to hassle moving Bundesland, most of it is trivial, informing everyone of your new address, your tax returns just go to a different office and you note the previous one on the first new return.

The car is the "biggest hassle" but you can use a registration service so you don't have to go to the Zulassungsstelle yourself if you don't want to.

Now moving a child from one education system to another can be a real problem, especially for older kids nearing Abitur.

On 3/2/2021, 6:26:35, Sumarokov-Elston said:

Can anyone think of ways that changing address to another Land right now might really complicate things?

I have not been contacted at all. I am currently living in Niedersachsen, but will need to move around a month or so from now.

I have an option of a place just over the border in NRW or possibly in Hesse.

At a push, I could find accommodation in Niedersachsen; this would be less desirable, but I might be swayed if it avoids a holy mess.

[Associated question: what are the main hassles from moving to another Land in terms of bureaucracy? I cannot think of anything major but maybe there are some things I don't know about? Insurance and tax registration would seem to make no difference...]

Thanks for any insights anyone can give.

If your Aufenthaltstaus is affected by Brexit, I would avoid moving anywhere until you have the new pass sorted.   

5 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

If your Aufenthaltstaus is affected by Brexit, I would avoid moving anywhere until you have the new pass sorted.   

He hasn't done anything yet. If you've applied and then move then obviously that complicates things, but you have until the end of June to apply. Just move first.