Brexit, New residence permits

231 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Wasn't that RF?

Nope, never freelanced before. 

Now please put away that wooden spoon.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Wasn't that RF?

I had the impression it was an IT person with Indian or Pakistani heritage who thought that his UK company could pay him as though he was a UK resident. Maybe he was working through some kind of placement agency that he owned in the UK.

Don't you remember all those central Asian IT folks who got nailed by the FA and AB for offshoring their income? It was a popular dodge in the early 2000s. Maybe it was on one of the other expat pages.

@klaus_schnelligkeit

The following applies to Berlin residents only, for other Bundeslande you need to check with the local immigration office.

I registered and then received a permanent residence document from Berlin Immigration Office. Do I need to re-register?

• No, please do not re-register. Due to the earlier registration and the issued permanent residence document your residence in Berlin is known to the Berlin Immigration Office. You have already fulfilled your responsibility to notify your residence.
  • The residence title issued to you means you are staying lawfully in Germany, can prove your status and travel visa-free within the Schengen Area.
  • In principle the GB residence document will be issued when your residence title needs to be updated because your passport has expired or a temporary residence title needs to be extended. Having the permanent residence document instead of the GB residence document does not disadvantage you. Your rights of residence under the Withdrawal Agreement remain unaffected, even though you are not in possession of a GB residence document.
  • Please contact the unit E 5 when your residence title needs to be updated because your passport has expired or a temporary residence title needs to be extended. Your GB residence document will be issued then. We kindly ask you for your patience until then.
  • In case you need a confirmation of your registration, please get in touch with us using our contact form. We will then send you the confirmation.

Source

On 22/01/2021, 08:34:09, optimista said:

My little angel, sometimes you can be really unnecessarily pedantic. And if you don't get that, take a couple of seconds to reflect. Please.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Yes. Do it. Definitely.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

are you talking from experience? I'm sure your intentions are good but as you live in France you're not exactly on the top of my list to take advice from on German affairs.

9 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

@klaus_schnelligkeit

The following applies to Berlin residents only, for other Bundeslande you need to check with the local immigration office.

Source

@optimista

You live in France and have just demonstrated your ignorance of how things work in Germany<_<

@Sir Percy B

Thank you for posting FACTS and including a source. :)

Sigh.

Ooooh, demonstrating ignorance. Wasting folk's time. Fair enough I will skulk off now. Sorry for breathing.

But rubbing noses in it... hmm...

I greened you by the way.

Any UK national who was living here but paying taxes in the UK through use of a dodgy ltd company should be very worried right about now. Very worried indeed.

Has anyone had their appointment yet at the KVR in Munich?  I received the letter already and confirmation of my appointment but nowhere do I see listed what I need to take along for this appointment.  I'm presuming...  original documentation that was submitted with the application / passport / passport photos.  But what else...

So I finally got my invite to the Berlin Immigration Office last week and this was my experience:

-Got an email (watch out for your junk folder where mine landed!) on the 25th Jan for an interview last week

-Told not to arrive until 15mins before the appointment. I was a bit earlier because of travelling, but they have security outside who won't let you in before time. Nothing much around there (Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24) what with everything being closed, so I went for a walk to try and keep warm in the meantime.

-Once in I was directed to a waiting room that appeared to process immigation from Turkey and a few other countries - no mention of the UK on the country list. Anyway, I waited for my number to appear on the screen and was seen very promptly.

-A friendly guy asked if speaking in german was ok (yes) and I gave him my application form, photo, passport, krankenkasse certificate and proof of income

-I was then asked to return to the waiting room whilst they took copies and processed this

-Within 10 minutes I was called back and told everything was fine. My documents were returned to me and I was given a letter than confirmed I now had the Aufenthaltsdokument-GB which was valid for 10 years. He explained that this could be exchanged for permanent residence without further checks, once I had been here for 5 years (which for me is later this year). The credit card sized document with the photo takes at least 6 weeks to be sent to your home address

-To pay the 37€ fee I could use a machine in the waiting room (only EC) or you can pay cash at a desk there

All in all it was a quick and efficient process

6 hours ago, hamsterberlin said:

So I finally got my invite to the Berlin Immigration Office last week and this was my experience:

(off to check my spam folder).

If you don't mind me asking, what did you provide as proof of income, and did you need to apply for a Krankenkasse certificate (I don't think I have one) - or is it just the card?

2 hours ago, Dembo said:

If you don't mind me asking, what did you provide as proof of income, and did you need to apply for a Krankenkasse certificate (I don't think I have one) - or is it just the card?

For the krankenkasse certificate, ask your provider for a Versicherungsbescheiniig.  With  TK for example you can download one from their website or phone them and they will send you one. 

11 hours ago, hamsterberlin said:

-Got an email (watch out for your junk folder where mine landed!) on the 25th Jan for an interview last week

-Told not to arrive until 15mins before the appointment. I was a bit earlier because of travelling, but they have security outside who won't let you in before time. Nothing much around there (Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24) what with everything being closed, so I went for a walk to try and keep warm in the meantime.

-Once in I was directed to a waiting room that appeared to process immigation from Turkey and a few other countries - no mention of the UK on the country list. Anyway, I waited for my number to appear on the screen and was seen very promptly.

-A friendly guy asked if speaking in german was ok (yes) and I gave him my application form, photo, passport, krankenkasse certificate and proof of income

-I was then asked to return to the waiting room whilst they took copies and processed this

-Within 10 minutes I was called back and told everything was fine. My documents were returned to me and I was given a letter than confirmed I now had the Aufenthaltsdokument-GB which was valid for 10 years. He explained that this could be exchanged for permanent residence without further checks, once I had been here for 5 years (which for me is later this year). The credit card sized document with the photo takes at least 6 weeks to be sent to your home address

-To pay the 37€ fee I could use a machine in the waiting room (only EC) or you can pay cash at a desk there

All in all it was a quick and efficient process

Wow. Genuinely pleased that you got it sorted.

Well down here in my particular Landkreis, the official response was “the law regarding Aufenthaltsdokument-GB is unclear and we will probably write to you with more details”. By the way, that was after the law was passed.

They don’t have any forms on their website regarding Aufenthaltsdokument-GB, in fact there hasn’t been an update since 2019 on the subject of Brexit.

Numerous emails asking them to inform me of how I can notify them of my need for Aufenthaltsdokument-GB, have been ignored.

I don’t think there are many Brits down here.

Nobody to complain to really, guess I need to just wait for the deadline to pass before anything actually happens

6 hours ago, NorthernLight said:

Numerous emails ... have been ignored.

Sounds familiar... but I am not allowed to say that because... IANIG.

The email I got from the Landesamt für Einwanderung asked you to bring the following documentation to the meeting:

• A valid British passport (which must be valid for at least six months after the appointment)

• One recent biometric passport photo (35mm x 45mm, frontal image, neutral facial expression, mouth closed, looking straight at the camera, light background)

• The completed form “Information for the issuance of a GB residence document” (see attachment)

• Proof of main residence in Berlin ( Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung) or lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord)

• Only in specific cases for assessing the right of permanent residence: proof of continuous residence in Germany (Have you been in Germany for more than 5 years without a break? How long have you been in Berlin?

Then please bring proof of your previous place of residence in Germany (e.g. tax declaration, tenancy agreement or similar document) with you.

• Document of permanent residence in Germany, e.g. certificate of permanent residence for EU citizens (only if a German Foreigners Authority has ever issued you with such a document)

• If you are a worker: Current employer certificate detailing nature and duration of your employment, plus most recent payslip

• If you are self-employed: Registration of business outlet or excerpt from trade register, plus latest tax return

• If you are not / no longer engaging in economic activity: Certificate of current health insurance cover and proof of income (e.g. pension slip)

• If you are studying: Current certificate of matriculation at educational establishment

• If you are drawing job centre or welfare office benefits in accordance with the German social assistance  legislation SGB II or SGB XII: current job centre or welfare office statement

Sorry to hear it's not so clear in some areas of the country. The Berlin website is pretty good at answering most questions:

FAQ on Brexit and the online registration form of the Berlin Immigration Office - Berlin.de

I'm guessing - because IANIG and do not actually know and cannot provide a source of information but still feel like opining anyway - that they will not cross a box. Maybe a bank statement showing the size of your nest egg would swing it.

On 11.2.2021, 11:33:33, Heidelbumm said:

What happens if I can't show proof of income?

Not sure, but the Berlin website says this for those that are not economically active but are with a partner:

Like optimista says - key is to show you have some means of supporting yourself or being supported. Goes back to the EU rule for those that aren't in employment or education:

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

• proof of comprehensive health insurance

• proof you can support yourself without needing social assistance benefits: resources may come from any source, including from a third person.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/inactive-citizens/index_en.htm

On 2/11/2021, 11:33:33, Heidelbumm said:

What happens if I can't show proof of income?

I mean if I don't get the erlaubnis to stay, how long can I stay?

With the covid lockdown, is going even possible?