Brexit, New residence permits

235 posts in this topic

So for all those that have been asked to fill out the generic residency forms, has anyone been successful when pushing back and reminding them of the legal basis of our special residency titles?

https://mobile.twitter.com/britsingermany/status/1334817555538710528?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fbritishingermany.org%2f2020%2f12%2f04%2fresidency-in-germany-after-transition%2f

british in Germany made a tweet about this here

https://mobile.twitter.com/britsingermany/status/1334817555538710528?prefetchtimestamp=1607772084795

On 08/12/2020, 09:33:07, kaffeemitmilch said:

I presume that if you've been here for at least five years as a Brit, you will get permanent residence, whereas if you change to being the spouse of an EU national next year, your clock starts again on a new type of permit? I'm not sure.

It has to be applied for, it is not automatic. 

On 12/12/2020, 12:20:29, NorthernLight said:

So for all those that have been asked to fill out the generic residency forms, has anyone been successful when pushing back and reminding them of the legal basis of our special residency titles?

A question to be asked again in a couple of months time, after people have applied. Most places aren't starting anything until the new year in any case.

The current advice is to be registered, nothing more, unless you have been contacted locally and have been told to actively do something more. I'm registered and have been put on a list so that I can be contacted. Technically I need do nothing more until they contact me, as I already have proof of being registered and having contacted the foreign citizens office on an entirely voluntary basis. 

Brits have until the end of June to merely apply for the card. 

On the twitter link you posted it is also stated that the issuing of the cards will take many, many months. Our local place hasn't even received the instructions or forms as yet. 

If you a resident on 31.12.20. you are already home and dry and the W.A. protects your rights. Anything else, such as talk of scrambling for permits for example, is mere fearmongering. ;) 

On 17/12/2020, 07:31:54, lunaCH said:

A question to be asked again in a couple of months time, after people have applied. Most places aren't starting anything until the new year in any case.

The current advice is to be registered, nothing more, unless you have been contacted locally and have been told to actively do something more. I'm registered and have been put on a list so that I can be contacted.

Yes, here in Munich we have been asked to complete a specific brexit form for UK passport holders resident in the area. I emailed my completed form back and got a confirmation with a message that basically said don't call us we will call you. Good advice I think at the moment.

No appointment, but today I received in the post a Betätigung des Eingangs der Anzeige nach Artikel 18 ... blah blah.

The important bit says: "Es wird vorläufig bis zum 21.12.2021 bestätigt, dass die Ausübung einer Erwebstätigkeit erlaubt ist". I.e. this bit of paper comfirms that I'm allowed to work here until the end of 2021. Though it does also say "Diese Bestätigung beinhaltet keine Feststellung eines Aufenthaltsrechts" - i.e. this isn't the real document yet.

I would hope this also would replace the aforementioned Fiktionsbescheinigung in terms of letting me back in the country if I were to leave.

1 minute ago, Dembo said:

I would hope this also would replace the aforementioned Fiktionsbescheinigung in terms of letting me back in the country if I were to leave.

You only need a passport to get back into the country (if checked), - nothing more. ;) 

On 12/2/2020, 2:05:53, Feierabend said:

So, so much for "just make sure you are properly  registered and everything will be easy-peasy ..."

OH has just received instructions from LDS to apply for the Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

This consists of a 12 page form and the requirement to provide copies of nine documents;

passport, marriage certs, spouse's passport, full recent Meldebescheinigung, up to date photo; health insurance certificate, pension record, statement of income, any social security benefits, Europöisches Führungszeugnis (criminal record cert.)

Then he has to book an appointment to give signatures and fingerprints.

(We've been registered here for over 20 years.)

For any interested Brandenburgers (since my original post was unhelpfully transferred from that forum):

OH wrote a polite letter to LDS  pointing out that they had sent  the incorrect forms. We need Aufenthaltserlaubnis-GB.  Finally yesterday they replied, sending him a much simpler form and a request to make an appointment, bringing fewer required docs.

Thanks also go to BIG for helpful advice. 😊

In France, the computer threw a wobbly when they tried to finger-print me. I have a crooked pinkie so only 7 digits came up on screen instead of the 8 required for the computer to Digest Your Info And Continue The Procedure. I left without a permit. They are gonna be in touch. Watch this space.

8 minutes ago, optimista said:

In France

You do realise that this is still a forum for foreigners in Germany, right? 

13 minutes ago, engelchen said:

You do realise that this is still a forum for foreigners in Germany, right? 

We're an inclusive bunch though.  We tolerate QAnon supporters, and they're on fucking Pluto. 

17 minutes ago, silty1 said:

We're an inclusive bunch though.  We tolerate QAnon supporters, and they're on fucking Pluto. 

There are limits to my tolerance; I have the QAnon nutcases on ignore.

31 minutes ago, silty1 said:

and that's not even a planet any more...

1 hour ago, silty1 said:

We tolerate QAnon supporters. 

Speak for yourself, Saddam. I do not tolerate those fucknuts. You tolerate them, and they put you in a woodchipper.

18 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Speak for yourself, Saddam. I do not tolerate those fucknuts. You tolerate them, and they put you in a woodchipper.

Okay, I meant tolerate their presence, not subscribe to their whacko ideas.  J-squared doesn't get banned just for posting shite, does he?

My little angel, sometimes you can be really unnecessarily pedantic. And if you don't get that, take a couple of seconds to reflect. Please.

4 hours ago, optimista said:

My little angel, sometimes you can be really unnecessarily pedantic. And if you don't get that, take a couple of seconds to reflect. Please.

Ma chère baboo, please, you are taking this far, far too seriously.  

Ok folks, time for a stupid question from me. I already have an unbefristetes Niederlassungserlaubnis, issued in Berlin in 2019. Do I need to register online (again) and fill in a form (again) and apply for the new card? Even if I don't have to, would it be advisable? 

13 hours ago, klaus_schnelligkeit said:

Ok folks, time for a stupid question from me. I already have an unbefristetes Niederlassungserlaubnis, issued in Berlin in 2019. Do I need to register online (again) and fill in a form (again) and apply for the new card? Even if I don't have to, would it be advisable? 

I'm in the same position as you and caught a glimpse of an article yesterday which i cannot find. Will have a look today and post back.

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Yes. Do it. Definitely.

are you talking from experience? I'm sure your intentions are good but as you live in France you're not exactly on the top of my list to take advice from on German affairs.

8 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

I'm in the same position as you and caught a glimpse of an article yesterday which i cannot find. Will have a look today and post back.

Maybe you wrote it, deleted it, then claimed you never saw it.

Hey, whatever happened to that one British poster who was using a UK limited corporation to funnel his freelance income and, as a result, didn't have a SCHUFA or the correct residency records to get his visa? That entire thread got pulled. I bet that dude is f***ed.