Brexit, New residence permits

231 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Mackle said:

When going from Non-schengen to Schengen, yes. But when going from Schengen to non-Schengen then it was eGates.

How long ago was this? My last time was a year ago. I flew Manchester to Frankfurt and had the "oh shit" moment as I saw the huge queue for passport control, before remembering that as an EU citizen I could walk past the queue and use the e-Gates.

If I were to take the same flight next year I'd likely miss my connection. Well done Brexiteers.

6 minutes ago, Dembo said:

How long ago was this? My last time was a year ago. I flew Manchester to Frankfurt and had the "oh shit" moment as I saw the huge queue for passport control, before remembering that as an EU citizen I could walk past the queue and use the e-Gates.

If I were to take the same flight next year I'd likely miss my connection. Well done Brexiteers.

First half of 2018, then I switched to direct flights from FRA-LHR / FRA-LCY.

Thinking about it as well, on some occasions (but I don't think all) when flying the BRU-FRA section of the return, I'd have to show ID during the boarding phase. Not scanning a passport, but just flashing that I had one. Other people would produce cards.  But I don't recall this happening when flying from FRA-BRU, but might just be bad memory. 

Agree with your sentiments by the way. I know it's a sweeping thing to say, but I think they mostly fall in to two camps - those who don't care and insist that "the old way was better", or those who believed that we would still be using the quick queues because of "British exceptionalism" 

23 minutes ago, Uncle Jamal said:

Shouldn't this topic be moved? It's not exclusive to Brandenburg residents.

Looks like it has and for me is no longer visible on the Home page section.:angry:

I moved it. Any of you could have, too - just click "Edit this topic" on the upper right.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Am I missing something here? the original question, which I would like to reiterate,  was why do you need this Fb document if I use my British passport? Would a French border guard refuse me entry to the Schengen area with or without an Fb when transiting to my residence in Germany? How would they know I was a resident in Germany rather than a tourist and if they did know from some database or other then why would they need further proof?

I made some more enquiries.  Was told an Fb is needed from Jan as a border guard can now pull you up with a British Passport if you had spent more than 90 days in Schengen previously in a 180 day period.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

I moved it. Any of you could have, too - just click "Edit this topic" on the upper right.

Well would you move it back, or if you know how make it visible in the Home page. This is an important thread and it has now become bloody hard to find! 😡

Still waiting for my local Landkreis to update their procedures for British nationals. Not many around this way so it could take a while !

I also have the option to claim residence as the spouse of an EU citizen (non German).

Until now, they wouldn’t let me do this here because I was still technically an EU citizen myself.

Obviously that changes on 1st Jan!

The question is, which option is easier ? The EU spouse Visa or the GB Visa (here before 31st dec)?

And which ones gives more rights?

59 minutes ago, NorthernLight said:

Still waiting for my local Landkreis to update their procedures for British nationals. Not many around this way so it could take a while !

I also have the option to claim residence as the spouse of an EU citizen (non German).

Until now, they wouldn’t let me do this here because I was still technically an EU citizen myself.

Obviously that changes on 1st Jan!

The question is, which option is easier ? The EU spouse Visa or the GB Visa (here before 31st dec)?

And which ones gives more rights?

It is not a visa as such, rather than an entry in your passport it is a card that will prove residence as an old Brit, so gives the same rights as we have now. As far as I know you can also get residence/permanent residence added to it if you have been here long enough and have the other requirements. Personally I am going to hang on until the first rush is over, and then get the WA status, and have permanent residence added to it. For people who may want to work in other countries it is worth investigating the possibility of having an EU Blue card, but I have no idea how that works or if it is possible,

On 03/12/2020, 07:18:49, keith2011 said:

The Munich KVR website claims that in week 49 this year they will be sending every UK citizen living in their area a letter with a form to fill in. Week 49 began last Sunday the 30th November, anyone received it yet???

Still no letter as of today which is the end of week 49.:blink:

5 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Still no letter as of today which is the end of week 49.:blink:

Nothing here in Rhein Neckar Kreis either and have emailed their department.

3 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Nothing here in Rhein Neckar Kreis either and have emailed their department.

Further, according to the Munich KVR website if the form and documentation requested are ok the they will make an appointment for an interview, is that the same in Rhein Neckar?

Seems to me to be much the same process as I went through when I first arrived in the 1980s before freedom of movement to and from the UK!

Website is not updated here for ages.  Saying as long as you are registered, you will be contacted. If anyone in RNK knows more,  please let me know!

On 04/12/2020, 11:08:49, snowingagain said:

without one, a stroppy border person could ask you for proof of health insurance, sufficient funds, proof of return ticket, etc.   

No obligation to carry anything but your passport though at the moment. This is unlikely to change anytime soon for Brits resident in Germany.

You can potentially apply for the card as late as the end of June - so there can't be any obligation to show the card which you're not even obliged to appy for yet. :rolleyes: 

They can only check for the card once the period for issuing these has ended and all of the cards have been issued surely? And this is not from January, but from July at the earliest and presumably later still if people leave it until the last month to apply. Anything else doesn't make sense. 

Plus border guards have better things to do that get into a strop about a Brit who is already resident - something they should be able to check anyway.

13 hours ago, lunaCH said:

No obligation to carry anything but your passport though at the moment. This is unlikely to change anytime soon for Brits resident in Germany.

You can potentially apply for the card as late as the end of June - so there can't be any obligation to show the card which you're not even obliged to appy for yet. :rolleyes: 

They can only check for the card once the period for issuing these has ended and all of the cards have been issued surely? And this is not from January, but from July at the earliest and presumably later still if people leave it until the last month to apply. Anything else doesn't make sense. 

Plus border guards have better things to do that get into a strop about a Brit who is already resident - something they should be able to check anyway.

The problem is, unless they can prove otherwise, all Britons travelling to the EU, will be considered as tourists and have their passports stamped as a marker of when they first entered Schengen on Jan 1st (or later). The clock starts counting 90 days until they leave again.

So if a Brit in Germany returns from non-Schengen to Schengen on Jan 1st, then as soon as 90 days (April 1st) is reached, they will be flagged in the separate un-interfaced border systems as "overstayer" (+ given a good grilling the next time they pass a manned Schengen border point).

And because there are 8+ separate un-interfaced systems, removing/scrubbing that flag once it is on there (assuming you can later offer proof you aren't a tourist) doesn't neccessarily scrub it from all systems.

Potentially, remnants of your "overstay" flag could linger depending on which EU Schengen country you transit(ed) to reach Germany.

7 hours ago, paulwork said:

The problem is, unless they can prove otherwise, all Britons travelling to the EU, will be considered as tourists and have their passports stamped as a marker of when they first entered Schengen on Jan 1st (or later). The clock starts counting 90 days until they leave again.

If this problem occurs though, presumably it will only happen at external Schengen borders. So for someone like me who can go for 10 years without crossing an external border, say to go the UK, mine will not get stamped for all that time - and when I do leave I won't have an entry stamp, but I'll get an exit one. :unsure: 

I still doubt that any overstaying stuff can legally be enforced until all of the cards have been issued. Our nearest airport is Zurich. Will the Swiss be able to see that I have been legally residing in Germany, will they even care? 

I cross internal Schengen borders multiple times daily and won't see any change there.

I have not been checked for years in any case as most crossings are not staffed.

I presume that if you've been here for at least five years as a Brit, you will get permanent residence, whereas if you change to being the spouse of an EU national next year, your clock starts again on a new type of permit? I'm not sure.

Letter and form from the Munich KVR arrived today. You have to send the completed form back by email or post with a copy of your passport and additional documents depending on your status. On receipt they say they will issue a confirmation of application and at some stage an appointment for an interview after which they will issue the Residents Permit for a fee of €37,-

10 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I presume that if you've been here for at least five years as a Brit, you will get permanent residence, whereas if you change to being the spouse of an EU national next year, your clock starts again on a new type of permit? I'm not sure.

I might be wrong here but by reading the WA, it looks like you can apply for any time of permit you want and your rights will still be based on the WA. 

So in effect you can apply for Spousal Visa, Blue Card, or any other permit and you will still be able to claim permanent residency based on the WA.

Could be wrong but would be interested if someone could confirm.