Brexit, New residence permits

248 posts in this topic

On 24/06/2021, 13:15:31, scook17 said:

Anyone tried renewing a UK passport from abroad post brexit? Seems it's done in Berlin now.

When I recently renewed mine pre-brexit  it was all done online and I just had to send the old one back to the UK passport centre then they sent out the new one, very quick and efficient though you can only pay by credit card or direct debit (British bank only), no cheques or international transfers. I would be surprised if that has changed.

I will be going to Austria later this month, according to the Munich KVR website a copy of the application confirmation is now sufficient for reentry if controlled at the border a Fiktionsbescheinigung  is not required!

Picked up my card on Friday, in and out in ten minutes, just a few forms to sign and pay the 37 euro.

On 10/06/2021, 12:05:19, optimista said:

I came across this. It highlights the vulnerability of Brits in France post WA and makes fascinating, if not eye-popping reading. The issues are doubtless the same for Brits in DE. I was also aware that I personally did not meet the income requirements, being a dependent wife. In case of divorce I would have been in a hard place.

https://www.remaininfrance.fr/rift-sounds-the-alarm-bell

Interesting read. I wonder if there is a similar group to RIFT in Germany?

Still nothing.

I sent an email a couple of weeks ago and got an automated response which said no appointments were being given unless urgent and un-postponable ("unaufschiebbar" - new word for me) cases because of Corona.

Hopefully a human will read my email at some point.

On 19/08/2021, 17:05:07, Dembo said:

Still nothing.

Same here!

I am travelling to the UK, long overdue visit to my aged mother! I will take a copy of the application confirmation with me, which is supposed get me back into Germany, we shall see!

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Same here!

I am travelling to the UK, long overdue visit to my aged mother! I will take a copy of the application confirmation with me, which is supposed get me back into Germany, we shall see!

A human did read my email. I asked about a Fiktionsbescheinigung for a trip abroad and they asked when I'm going and have given me an appointment beforehand. But I don't know exactly what I'm going to get. They've asked for my passport, a photo and €35 so I think it is the real thing, and maybe they'll give me the temporary proof too. I was only going to go to France by car so obviously wouldn't normally expect any kind of passport check. 

I hope you don't have any aggro; I don't see why the confirmation wouldn't be enough, assuming that is you're arriving back in Germany. How it's meant to work if you land in some other part of Schengen I've no idea.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

A human did read my email. I asked about a Fiktionsbescheinigung for a trip abroad and they asked when I'm going and have given me an appointment beforehand. But I don't know exactly what I'm going to get. They've asked for my passport, a photo and €35 so I think it is the real thing, and maybe they'll give me the temporary proof too. I was only going to go to France by car so obviously wouldn't normally expect any kind of passport check. 

I hope you don't have any aggro; I don't see why the confirmation wouldn't be enough, assuming that is you're arriving back in Germany. How it's meant to work if you land in some other part of Schengen I've no idea.

I will be arriving back to Munich as I elected to go by plane rather than my preferred method by train to Belgium and Eurostar as I suspect the covid red tape would have been even worse let alone without a residence permit via Schengen.

I've done the deed and got a Fiktionsbescheinigung too. 

Just to add to the confusion I was told that I'll need to get a new card in 2023 when my passport expires. If this really isn't true it appears the memo hasn't reached everywhere yet. ;-)