Brexit, New residence permits

259 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, GillyRose said:

This will be correct.  It's the same for me.  My passport expires before the end date on my card (which is valid for 7 years).

They told me this at my appointment and said that I need to re-apply and pay for a new card when my passport is renewed.  I asked why the card then doesn't have the same end date as my passport but she couldn't / wouldn't explain and just told me that the 2 end dates are not related.

The card does not have the same date because it has to be valid for a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 10 years. So if your passport needs to be renewed in less than 5 years there will be a difference. There were some earlier cards issued for less than 5 years, but there has been a message sent out recently to all the auslanderamt to remind them that EU law is 5-10 years.

55 minutes ago, GillyRose said:

This will be correct.  It's the same for me.  My passport expires before the end date on my card (which is valid for 7 years).

They told me this at my appointment and said that I need to re-apply and pay for a new card when my passport is renewed.  I asked why the card then doesn't have the same end date as my passport but she couldn't / wouldn't explain and just told me that the 2 end dates are not related.

This is confusing since it contradicts what is written on the federal website: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/constitution/brexit/faqs-brexit.html;jsessionid=C532D42A97DF93F3B67F63C8CE505DB9.2_cid287 

The document states a passport number, but that passport expires before the document becomes invalid. Do I have to apply for a new document?

No, that is not necessary. The inspection authorities are aware that the passport number entered in a document may refer to a passport that has already expired and was valid when the document was issued. You do not need to take your old passport with you when you travel.

Timeline update:

After 4.5 weeks from the date of my appointment, the card has been printed and is ready for collection

however

there's another 3.5 week wait before I'm allowed to visit the office to actually collect it.

On 5/20/2021, 7:56:57, GillyRose said:

I finally received a response to my email from the KVR where they confirmed that a box had remained "unchecked" in the application during my appointment which had resulted in the mention of Permanent Residency not being included on the card.  No apology.

That yes, I have permanent residency, but if I want it to be shown on the card, a new one would have to be ordered.

I'm struggling to understand why would anyone want a residency card that shows no mention of their actual residence status?!

And that was it.  No mention if they will order the replacement automatically or if I need to request another appointment and go through the process again.

I can't work out if they are deliberately vague or whether they just press "send" on their responses without actually reading what they've typed!

So I've sent yet another mail back to them asking to clarify and if anything is needed from my side.

Received a reply back from the KVR and they've confirmed that I have to start the entire process again as my fingerprints & digital signature need to be given and that they cannot simply issue a replacement card.
The old card will be cancelled and if I need to travel in the meantime, I have to use the Fiktionsbescheinigung (which fortunately I had already applied and received earlier in the year).
The new card will be issued again free of charge and I've already received a new appointment in two weeks time.  I'll be making sure this time to ask them if they've ticked all the relevant boxes!!

I picked up my card today and as expected it has an expiration date of exactly 5 years from the date they sent it for printing.

My passport expires before this date. Approximately 1 year before.

The Ausländerbehörde said that I need to apply for a new card when my passport expires. This can’t be correct surely ?

8 hours ago, NorthernLight said:

I picked up my card today and as expected it has an expiration date of exactly 5 years from the date they sent it for printing.

My passport expires before this date. Approximately 1 year before.

The Ausländerbehörde said that I need to apply for a new card when my passport expires. This can’t be correct surely ?

Typed a long answer but forum lost it when I hit enter, will try again in a moment.
The EU regulations state that the card must be issued with a validity of between 5 and 10 years, if your passport expires before the date on the card you can either renew the card, or, wait until the card expiry date and just carry your old passport with it to prove that the card relates to you if that is needed. The WA status does not depend on the card and does not expire, but the card is needed if you ever have to prove that you were in Germany before the exit date. This could be very important in the future for things like pensions. 

2 hours ago, SusieT said:

... the card is needed if you ever have to prove that you were in Germany before the exit date. This could be very important in the future for things like pensions. 

Yes !

I came across this. It highlights the vulnerability of Brits in France post WA and makes fascinating, if not eye-popping reading. The issues are doubtless the same for Brits in DE. I was also aware that I personally did not meet the income requirements, being a dependent wife. In case of divorce I would have been in a hard place.

https://www.remaininfrance.fr/rift-sounds-the-alarm-bell

1 hour ago, optimista said:

I came across this. It highlights the vulnerability of Brits in France post WA and makes fascinating, if not eye-popping reading. The issues are doubtless the same for Brits in DE. I was also aware that I personally did not meet the income requirements, being a dependent wife. In case of divorce I would have been in a hard place.

https://www.remaininfrance.fr/rift-sounds-the-alarm-bell

Although there is a lot of paperwork in DE, its times like this that (provided people have complied) it makes it easy to prove you were registered and living here prior to 31 Dec. Plus DE has a declaratory system, whereas in France I belive you need to apply which is a lot harder, and there not being a minimum income requirement here. I do feel for those in places like France, who have lived according to the rules and are now having big problems though

4 hours ago, SusieT said:

Although there is a lot of paperwork in DE, its times like this that (provided people have complied) it makes it easy to prove you were registered and living here prior to 31 Dec. Plus DE has a declaratory system, whereas in France I belive you need to apply which is a lot harder, and there not being a minimum income requirement here. I do feel for those in places like France, who have lived according to the rules and are now having big problems though

My father and step-mother retired to France 7 or 8 years ago now and haven't had any significant problems. Like some people here they were originally given the wrong document/status and had to reapply after the WA was settled. The worst issue for them is their income is in pounds and that's dropped significantly because of you know what.

I have heard nothing from KVR München since the confirmation that they had received my application back in late December, do you think I should be worried or making enquiries? No travel plans at present given the current coronavirus situation so no urgency, but???

44 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I have heard nothing from KVR München since the confirmation that they had received my application back in late December, do you think I should be worried or making enquiries? No travel plans at present given the current coronavirus situation so no urgency, but???

Nothing here for me either. I wonder if they're simply waiting until after the 30th June deadline to move on to the next stage. Or maybe they looked at my passport scan and don't like my face.

I was thinking of sending an email, perhaps under cover of enquiring about a Fiktionsbescheinigung as I'd like to go to France sometime this year. Another complication is that I may  move.

26 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Nothing here for me either. I wonder if they're simply waiting until after the 30th June deadline to move on to the next stage. Or maybe they looked at my passport scan and don't like my face.

I was thinking of sending an email, perhaps under cover of enquiring about a Fiktionsbescheinigung as I'd like to go to France sometime this year. Another complication is that I may  move.

Good to know I am not alone, as far as I know the 30th June deadline is for actually applying for the residence permit, so we should be OK. Good idea to try the Fiktionsbescheinigung inquiry I may do the same as, restrictions permitting, I am hoping to visit relatives in the UK in the Autumn, failing that I think I may ask the local British Consulate what is going on.

48 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Good to know I am not alone, as far as I know the 30th June deadline is for actually applying for the residence permit, so we should be OK. 

I meant maybe they've decided to collect all the applications, see how many they have on the 1st July and then start processing them. But pure speculation on my part. It doesn't seem to be consistent in BW so it's not even something we can blame on fedarlism. 

My letter says I'm allowed to work until the 31st December. If we get to November and I still haven't heard anything then I'll be worrying. 

On 19/06/2021, 12:51:11, Dembo said:

My letter says I'm allowed to work until the 31st December. If we get to November and I still haven't heard anything then I'll be worrying. 

I'm retired so that is not an issue for me. From some of the posts here it does look like others in the Munich area have had appointments and even received the permit. I do wonder if they are working through the straightforward applications first. In my case they did not ask for my income only the original letter (now out of date) from the pension office confirming how much I get from my German contributions which is only a small portion of my pension income and certainly not enough to live on. Maybe that has raised a flag which has caused the delay.

On 6/19/2021, 11:55:11, keith2011 said:

Good to know I am not alone, as far as I know the 30th June deadline is for actually applying for the residence permit, so we should be OK.

As far as I know, you are even fine applying AFTER 30th June, as it is more a case of taking up rights enshrined by law, as it were. If you apply after this date, it might make things harder overall, but you keep the same rights you always had. This is specific to Germany, of course; other countries are a different case.

For my part, all I received was an acknowledgement from the local office that they had received my email declaration and a sentence that they have a high volume of mail, so usually take a couple of weeks to answer. But I left it until I moved to a different Bundesland this month, just so as not to avoid any confusion over applying to one office and then being registered elsewhere (although it is stated in the official advice that this is not a problem).

Because this is not a pressing issue, really, in terms of "rights", I can imagine that the Brits applying for residence are not treated as urgent compared to potentially more pressing business at these offices, so are put on the back burner...

I went to the office this week to do the fingerprinting and picked up on the way a photo at the photo booth. It's just a passport photo.

I also asked why the period was not indefinite. I was told when you renewed your UK passport, you had to book an appointment to update the card.

Anyone tried renewing a UK passport from abroad post brexit? Seems it's done in Berlin now.

3 hours ago, scook17 said:

Anyone tried renewing a UK passport from abroad post brexit? Seems it's done in Berlin now.

All done by post now I believe. I haven't done it, but I did look it up recently as mine is due in < 2 years.

On 24/06/2021, 13:15:31, scook17 said:

I went to the office this week to do the fingerprinting and picked up on the way a photo at the photo booth. It's just a passport photo.

I also asked why the period was not indefinite. I was told when you renewed your UK passport, you had to book an appointment to update the card.

That's not true.

"The document states a passport number, but that passport expires before the document becomes invalid. Do I have to apply for a new document?
No, that is not necessary. The inspection authorities are aware that the passport number entered in a document may refer to a passport that has already expired and was valid when the document was issued."

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/constitution/brexit/faqs-brexit.html