Brexit, New residence permits

231 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Dembo said:

I'm having a bet with myself for which happens first: appointment at Auslanderbehörde or vaccination. Or death. One of the three.

In my case it will most probably be the first one - 2 weeks ago I got a letter giving me an appointment to turn up in person on the 19th May together with a list of what to bring.

When I went to local shop for a "Passfoto" the young lady there had a very English-looking name on her badge - married to an English guy who was going (or had been) through the same process.

On 24/04/2021, 08:14:47, GillyRose said:

I had my appointment at the KVR Munich at the end of Feb and received my residence card 10 days ago.

However, opposite to what they confirmed to me at the appointment, there is no mention under section 1 on my card of "permanent residency / Daueraufenthalt".

My hubbies card shows this as does 4 of my British colleagues who've also received their cards.

I have no idea why! Have sent a mail already asking for an explanation.

Screenshot_20210424-080655_WhatsApp.jpg

20210411_104716.jpg

Hello. Ours is the same. But we have only been resident in Germany since 2018 after moving from Scotland. Apparently according to BAMF you need to be resident for more than five years or more to quality to have the permanent residency qualification on your Aufenhalttitel-GB Karte: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/constitution/brexit/how-am-i-affected-by-this/what-does-right-of-permanent-residence-mean.html

I presume in 2031, when we renew, we will automatically qualify for Daueraufenthalt status. 

27 minutes ago, saadino said:

I presume in 2031, when we renew, we will automatically qualify for Daueraufenthalt status. 

Mine is only valid until 2027.  And no mention Daueraufenthalt.  I have been here over 20 years.

46 minutes ago, saadino said:

I would think you qualify 5 years after you arrived. You're not renewing the status in 2031, just the card. I.e. what it says on the card might not be important, but if I were eligible I'd want to ask the question. I wonder what GillyRose above found out; she presumably arrived the same time as her husband and went to the same office, so it clearly looks like a mistake.

13 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I would think you qualify 5 years after you arrived. You're not renewing the status in 2031, just the card. I.e. what it says on the card might not be important, but if I were eligible I'd want to ask the question. I wonder what GillyRose above found out; she presumably arrived the same time as her husband and went to the same office, so it clearly looks like a mistake.

I would guess card renewal too.  But the Daueraufenthalt thing should be on the card. And why my 6 years?  For temporary it would normally be 5?  At the moment I am grateful for anything.  Will query soon and report back.  The only thing is I hit retirement age in 2027.  Perhaps they want to chuck me out then!  I got my height 2 inches wrong.  Perhaps I will have shrunk.

even thugh i have been here for 38 years i only got 4 years validity on my Brexit card.Due to the fact my passport runs out next year

7 minutes ago, Mik Dickinson said:

even thugh i have been here for 38 years i only got 4 years validity on my Brexit card.Due to the fact my passport runs out next year

Okay, just looked.  My A GB is valid until day my passport runs out.

if anything the Brexit pass will not run no more than 10 years before having to be renewed.The rulings are all based on the German identity card rulings

You people need to bear in mind that one day, you may have to produce your WA residence permit in order to get annual increases on any UK pension. And who knows what other entitlements. This is the sort of snippet of information that crawls out of the wood-work when you are not looking - nobody tells you this upfront. I came across it on some radio programme about Brexit a few weeks ago. So much has yet to be clarified. And beware uniforms interpreting the rools their own way.

I got a French residence permit shortly before they finally gave me nationality. Logically I no longer need the residence permit to reside in France - but there is no way I will be surrendering it, precisely for this kind of unforeseen eventuality.

18 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Okay, just looked.  My A GB is valid until day my passport runs out.

That's interesting because my passport runs out in 2 years. It makes me wonder if I should try to renew it now just in case they send me an appointment, although I'm not sure if I can without the Aufenthaltsthingy. 

24 minutes ago, Dembo said:

That's interesting because my passport runs out in 2 years. It makes me wonder if I should try to renew it now just in case they send me an appointment, although I'm not sure if I can without the Aufenthaltsthingy. 

Hmm.  Though if they are giving you indefinite it should not make any difference?

32 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Hmm.  Though if they are giving you indefinite it should not make any difference?

Well yes. Just if I only get 2 years (or less by the time I get an appointment) it means having to renew it sooner. But Mik above said he got 4 years because his passport expires next year. Who knows? Maybe we can plot a graph of passport expiry vs. time in Germany vs. time from retirement and try to infer the way it works.

Just now, Dembo said:

Well yes. Just if I only get 2 years (or less by the time I get an appointment) it means having to renew it sooner. But Mik above said he got 4 years because his passport expires next year. Who knows? Maybe we can plot a graph of passport expiry vs. time in Germany vs. time from retirement and try to infer the way it works.

Yay!  Graphs!

22 hours ago, Dembo said:

I renewed mine at the end of last December in anticipation of this process as, from reading the available literature, it seemed like the length of passport would be used to guide the authorities on how the card should be valid for.

Under what was agreed with the EU, there should be no Brexit cards issued for less than 5 years or for more than 10 years. Your passport expiring within the 5 years from when you apply for the card shouldn't interfere with the minimum 5 year issuance nor should it mean that you need to get a new Brexit card when you renew your passport either.

I have to say I don't know what expiration date my card has got (or indeed if it is Daueraufenthalt) because it's still at the printers aka die Bundesdruckerei.

I had my visit to the local Ausländerbehörde this morning.

I turned up punctually - a security guy (lets say he was not Ur-Deutsch) outside the place checked my invitation against his list & ushered me inside.

I was sent along a corridor where another security guy (didn't speak much German) told me to take the elevator to 3rd floor & on return to take elevator again & not the stairs.

I was expecting a nice jaw-jaw with Frau K-H. as on the invitation but instead a young guy took a photocopy of my passport (I'd sent that by e-mail some time previously), took finger prints (just both index fingers), took 37 Euros via Maestro card & said I could come by in about 4 weeks to pick up my card.

He stated that I'd been in Germany a long time (so true) and that the card would show "Daueraufenthalt" but the card would be limited to the expiry date of my UK passport - when its 37 Euros (+ inflation) again.

Have to see that I live that long first...

On 5/17/2021, 6:33:41, Dembo said:

On 4/24/2021, 8:24:56, SusieT said:

It may have been something as simple as the person at the office failing to tick the box for you, but I hope you get an answer and they correct it for you.

I finally received a response to my email from the KVR where they confirmed that a box had remained "unchecked" in the application during my appointment which had resulted in the mention of Permanent Residency not being included on the card.  No apology.

That yes, I have permanent residency, but if I want it to be shown on the card, a new one would have to be ordered.

I'm struggling to understand why would anyone want a residency card that shows no mention of their actual residence status?!

And that was it.  No mention if they will order the replacement automatically or if I need to request another appointment and go through the process again.

I can't work out if they are deliberately vague or whether they just press "send" on their responses without actually reading what they've typed!

So I've sent yet another mail back to them asking to clarify and if anything is needed from my side.

So, a sloppy jobsworth. Crosses in boxes. Or not. Which can have consequences. I suspect that if you do not request a new card nothing will happen.

Just to add some more confusion to the matter, I was informed that my card will have an expiration date of exactly 5 years after my appointment with the Ausländerbehörde.

This date is after my passport expires.

I will confirm when I receive the physical card 

2 hours ago, NorthernLight said:

Just to add some more confusion to the matter, I was informed that my card will have an expiration date of exactly 5 years after my appointment with the Ausländerbehörde.

This date is after my passport expires.

I will confirm when I receive the physical card 

This will be correct.  It's the same for me.  My passport expires before the end date on my card (which is valid for 7 years).

They told me this at my appointment and said that I need to re-apply and pay for a new card when my passport is renewed.  I asked why the card then doesn't have the same end date as my passport but she couldn't / wouldn't explain and just told me that the 2 end dates are not related.