Suggestions needed for Road Trip in Spain/Portugal

29 posts in this topic

Edit: Agree with MMelga about the timing and the weather. Galicia and the north coast are green for a reason. Maybe this is the time to stick to the southern half of the peninsula. Granada, Alentejo and Lisbon.

1 hour ago, Acton said:

Have a word with Greta. Maybe by bike?

Or do one of the Camino de Santiago routes by foot? If starting in Porto, it would be a little over 20km per day over 10 days.

1 hour ago, pmd said:

Or do one of the Camino de Santiago routes by foot? If starting in Porto, it would be a little over 20km per day over 10 days.

Too wet in this time of the year. Need to wait till May to have good weather. As a comparison, on yearly average it rains 50% more in Porto than in Munich. And most of the rain is concentrated in the autumn and winter!

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Too wet in this time of the year. Need to wait till May to have good weather. As a comparison, on yearly average it rains 50% more in Porto than in Munich. And most of the rain is concentrated in the autumn and winter!

15 hours ago, Acton said:

Not disputing your local knowledge MikeMelga. 

I had a look at the forecast for Porto up until 18th February - the weather actually looks quite good - of course, some rain, but plenty of dry, sunny days forecast too. 

I know the OP wants to do a road trip and pack more in but I would do this route at the drop of a hat if I had a free 10 days.

8 hours ago, pmd said:

Not disputing your local knowledge MikeMelga. 

I had a look at the forecast for Porto up until 18th February - the weather actually looks quite good - of course, some rain, but plenty of dry, sunny days forecast too. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto#Climate

North of Portugal is very windy. Together with rain and cold weather and it feels much colder than Munich.

https://myportugalholiday.com/elvas-portugal.html

Elvas, Portugal! Just across the former border with Spain ( Badajoz ).

Just for the contrasts - Spanish and Portuguese architecture! Both glorious.

And go for the " golden " fish meal there over in Portugal!

I hate fish in general...the smel!! Urgghh!..except for the peixe dourado there!

:rolleyes:

Thank you everyone, as per suggestions from everyone i am going to skip Porto for now and stick to the southern part of Spain. 

Appreciate all the feedback, you guys are awesome! 

9 hours ago, MechEng said:

@MikeMelga when would be a good time to visit North Portugal/ North Western Spain? Looks like a great place for road tripping,

Mid May till mid September. Except for some freakish summers, it does not rain much on those months.