Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Potassium bromate / Bromine still added to bread in Germany?

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I just want to know if anyone knows if Potassium bromate / bromine is added to bread and bakled goods in Germany? In Canada this has been banned, but in US it is still common practice. However, I did not find any info for Germany?

Thank you in advance, 

love 

cherry

6 minutes ago, Cherryalessia said:

but in US it is still common practice.

that's why it's called Wonder bread, you wonder what's in it

Potassium bromate is typically used in the United States as a flour improver (E number E924). It acts to strengthen the dough and to allow higher rising.

Potassium bromate is classified as a category 2B carcinogen (possibly carcinogenic to humans) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).[5]

Potassium bromate has been banned from use in food products in the European Union, Argentina, Brazil,[6] Canada, Nigeria, South Korea, Peru and some other countries. It was banned in Sri Lanka in 2001,[7] China in 2005,[citation needed] and India on 20 June 2016.[8]

In the United States of America, it has not been banned.

Wiki is your friend

My family back home buys Dave's Killer Bread. Organic and no artificial ingredients and tastes great. Of course it's too soft for German standards.

Dave was a convicted felon who got out and did well.

The history of Dave's Killer Bread began in 2005, when co-founder Dave Dahl was welcomed back to the family bakery by his older brother Glenn after serving 15 years in prison. Dave seized the opportunity and worked tirelessly to develop a killer new recipe for organic and Non-GMO bread, which was debuted at the Portland Farmers Market in 2005. Dave’s Killer Bread was an instant hit.

Thank you all for the great answers. I really enjoyed reading all of them and having my question answered. 

cherryA

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

My family back home buys Dave's Killer Bread. Organic and no artificial ingredients and tastes great. Of course it's too soft for German standards.

Dave was a convicted felon who got out and did well.

omg that reminds me of my favorite baker when I lived in CA - by the name of "your black muslim bakery"

their bread was the bomb, but their cinnamon buns...holy hell.  Just drool worthy but WITHOUT the icing, obnoxious sweetness or greasiness of standard buns and fully whole grain on top.  Like, you could eat them without any major guilt!

sadly...  https://evilleeye.com/history/former-black-muslim-bakery-san-pablo-still-making-news/

how does one split the difference on that?  I dunno.  Apparently total lunatics who really know how to bake...tough call as a consumer.  Do note there was no whiff of evildoings when I was buying their products in the late 90's

8 hours ago, silty1 said:

You actually looked that up?  :unsure:

I did because you didn't.

Not sure of their reach but t really the best quality baked products in Germany have to come from Hopfisterei. 

https://www.hofpfisterei.de/

Wide varieties of flavours made with sourdough I believe. Very "clean" techniques. As for bromide no idea but I can't believe they use it.

2 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

As for bromide no idea but I can't believe they use it.

19 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Potassium bromate has been banned from use in food products in the European Union

So presumably not.

3 hours ago, catjones said:

I did because you didn't.

You win this week's Toytown banter award...