Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2020 Real ID in the US

9 posts in this topic

Important for all US citizens to be on top of this rule that takes effect in October 2020.  Make sure your family and friends are aware of it.

That sounds like the star card driver's license they are talking about here in the U.S. I have it now, even though I have a passport. The driver's license with the star will also be needed to enter government buildings.

Yes.  I don't yet have the star DL.  Also, for some of us expats it may mean carrying the passport everywhere in the US.  I'm gonna work to get a passport card to have on my person.

On ‎29‎.‎01‎.‎2020‎ ‎09‎:‎34‎:‎58, Metall said:

You can apply for a US passport card as a second, much smaller form of ID from Germany. Check the website of the nearest US embassy. Hope this helps!:)

Do you know if they started putting the issuing agency on the card as a field?  Sure, it says "US Department of State" on the card, but the PostIdent forms require an Ausstellungsbehörde, and every time I've tried to use the passport card the post office workers have had trouble. 

I just renewed my passport and I didn't bother getting a new passport card.  

I've used PostIdent and they've always just entered US Department of State. If they ask where the document was issued, I tell them it was the New York Passport Agency (which it was), but you could also say US Consulate General Frankfurt if they really want the exact authority. Mostly, though, the State Department works fine.

Also, remember that not just US citizens need to get a star card, but any resident who wants to use a DL or State ID. I have one now, but I much prefer to use the passport card as it has no address on it. It's much more impersonal, which I like.

3 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I've used PostIdent and they've always just entered US Department of State. If they ask where the document was issued, I tell them it was the New York Passport Agency (which it was), but you could also say US Consulate General Frankfurt if they really want the exact authority. Mostly, though, the State Department works fine.

Actually, it really *is* the State Department these days. The consulates no longer issues documents, they merely ship the applications to the US.

Yes, you're right, as is the case in Germany, where the Bundesdruckerei prints all passports and ID cards. But, they are still issued in the name of the local authority, and that's what's indicated in the documents. Don't know why the US keeps the immediate issuing authority off the documents.