Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New skier in Munich - Garmisch

40 posts in this topic

Iffy means questionable - as in "it's questionable whether you will be able to buy a set of used rental skis right now".

IMO the best time to buy is after winter vacation at the very least, closer to Easter at best.

22 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Iffy means questionable - as in "it's questionable whether you will be able to buy a set of used rental skis right now".

IMO the best time to buy is after winter vacation at the very least, closer to Easter at best.

Got it! Thank you for the suggestion. When I bought my old ones, they were also from a rental shop and quite good (can't remember at what time of the year they were from, but was actually quite happy). Would you suggest any particular shop for example...

Hey, 

Maybe to late, but might still help. 

I was last year in Salzburg as a student and I went skiing a lot when I was there. I went mostly to areas in Austria, but i was also 2 times in Garmisch. Now by this time, last year the weather was a lot better to go skiing but I think you will still get some snow, or who knows snow machines will be working. But Garmisch is a nice place and you could have a lot of fun. The first time I was there, was whit my brother (he lives in Munich, so i was visiting him). The second time with my family. Both times we were more relaxed skiing, so if you are a relaxed skier it will suit you for sure. I also rented my equipment at the beginning, as i didn't have my own... Now I have my equipment as it is better, specially since i go skiing a lot during the winter. Boots I bought at one of those big shops and skis I bought from a rental shop around February, before leaving Austria.

this is a bit farther afield but if you have time to spend, the Dolomites are worth a trip as it's INSANELY beautiful with something like 1500 km of trails for all levels.  I stayed in Alta Badia, myself, didn't have a car - didn't need one.   As I recall it took a total of about 5 hours including train and bus to get there, but local transport is good so you can still get around no problem. You'd probably shave off an hour at least if you drove, but there's always the risk of getting stuck in traffic around Brenner pass that would negate that potential win and then some.

I am NOT a good skiier but there were plenty of trails for me to enjoy, and the best part was they were quite long (2-4 km if I recall) with huts along the way so you can stop for lunch or a beer or whatever.  This was always a problem for me where I originally learned to ski in the US as the beginner runs were so short I couldn't catch my groove before it was over.  The sledding trails are also outstanding and of course there's cross country skiing and other winter sport activities to be had.  Truly THE best winter vacation experience I've ever had - I can't say enough good things about it.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Dolomiti-Superski

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

this is a bit farther afield but if you have time to spend, the Dolomites are worth a trip as it's INSANELY beautiful with something like 1500 km of trails for all levels.  I stayed in Alta Badia, myself, didn't have a car - didn't need one.   As I recall it took a total of about 5 hours including train and bus to get there, but local transport is good so you can still get around no problem. You'd probably shave off an hour at least if you drove, but there's always the risk of getting stuck in traffic around Brenner pass that would negate that potential win and then some.

I am NOT a good skiier but there were plenty of trails for me to enjoy, and the best part was they were quite long (2-4 km if I recall) with huts along the way so you can stop for lunch or a beer or whatever.  This was always a problem for me where I originally learned to ski in the US as the beginner runs were so short I couldn't catch my groove before it was over.  The sledding trails are also outstanding and of course there's cross country skiing and other winter sport activities to be had.  Truly THE best winter vacation experience I've ever had - I can't say enough good things about it.

I think that is the worst problem of learning how to ski... those tracks which are so short and you just can't get the rhythm... And I would also add the lifts... at the beginning they could be quite tricky...

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

Worth a try for sure... but maybe organize for a longer stay and with more people right? 

My idea of being so close to Garmisch is I can always grab someone and spontaneously go there without any restrictions... Driving or taking transports for 5 hours would require for us to stay, and I'm kinda scared the prices might be to high

2 hours ago, DieJessie said:

Hey, 

Maybe to late, but might still help. 

I was last year in Salzburg as a student and I went skiing a lot when I was there. I went mostly to areas in Austria, but i was also 2 times in Garmisch. Now by this time, last year the weather was a lot better to go skiing but I think you will still get some snow, or who knows snow machines will be working. But Garmisch is a nice place and you could have a lot of fun. The first time I was there, was whit my brother (he lives in Munich, so i was visiting him). The second time with my family. Both times we were more relaxed skiing, so if you are a relaxed skier it will suit you for sure. I also rented my equipment at the beginning, as i didn't have my own... Now I have my equipment as it is better, specially since i go skiing a lot during the winter. Boots I bought at one of those big shops and skis I bought from a rental shop around February, before leaving Austria.

Boots I already have! Going to take mine from spain as they still fit and are quite comfortable... I'm worried only with the skis, as I haven't rented equipment for a long time now...

8 hours ago, ElTobias said:

Would you suggest any particular shop for example...

Skiing is sadly an expensive sport. Best ways to save money are buy good ski gear but get cheap ski clothing in the middle aisle in Aldi when they come. I forgot to mention ski basaars. They come up sometimes and you can get real bargains on gear there.

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

this is a bit farther afield but if you have time to spend, the Dolomites are worth a trip as it's INSANELY beautiful with something like 1500 km of trails for all levels.  I stayed in Alta Badia, myself, didn't have a car - didn't need one. 

Alta Badia is awesome. The Sella Ronda is the classic 50km round trip which is huge fun and doable for an intermediate.

2 hours ago, ElTobias said:

Worth a try for sure... but maybe organize for a longer stay and with more people right? 

My idea of being so close to Garmisch is I can always grab someone and spontaneously go there without any restrictions... Driving or taking transports for 5 hours would require for us to stay, and I'm kinda scared the prices might be to high

I dunno - I went alone but I like to travel solo so really up to you.  Yes you would most definitely want to stay for a few days at least!  I was there for a week and never got bored for a minute :)

What I recall is that there was a wide range of accommodations/price points from hostels to 5 star resorts and everything in between.  No idea what your budget would be but the only way to find out is to have a look.  The site I linked has search functions for lodging in the area so check it out if you want.

It's absolutely not a day trip but wanted to plug it just so you were aware - it really is a wonderful experience.  I can't speak for Garmisch specifically but most people I know who ski regularly avoid places that close to munich as it's too packed and too expensive.  The skibus to Austria gets much better reviews from the people I know who've tried it.  There are several bus companies, and they stop all over the city - it's a pretty sweet offer.

14 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Skiing is sadly an expensive sport. Best ways to save money are buy good ski gear but get cheap ski clothing in the middle aisle in Aldi when they come. I forgot to mention ski basaars. They come up sometimes and you can get real bargains on gear there.

Clothes I already have and boots as well. Only concern is skis itself... looking to upgrade them

14 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I dunno - I went alone but I like to travel solo so really up to you.  Yes you would most definitely want to stay for a few days at least!  I was there for a week and never got bored for a minute :)

What I recall is that there was a wide range of accommodations/price points from hostels to 5 star resorts and everything in between.  No idea what your budget would be but the only way to find out is to have a look.  The site I linked has search functions for lodging in the area so check it out if you want.

It's absolutely not a day trip but wanted to plug it just so you were aware - it really is a wonderful experience.  I can't speak for Garmisch specifically but most people I know who ski regularly avoid places that close to munich as it's too packed and too expensive.  The skibus to Austria gets much better reviews from the people I know who've tried it.  There are several bus companies, and they stop all over the city - it's a pretty sweet offer.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Will definitely take a look at the resort. Thank you so much for the help. 

Yeah I understand, I also avoid packed crowds. In Spain I usually go during the week as there aren't that many people. But this year snow also has been missing, so I couldn't go that many times...

15 hours ago, ElTobias said:

Boots I already have! Going to take mine from spain as they still fit and are quite comfortable... I'm worried only with the skis, as I haven't rented equipment for a long time now...

There are so many possibilities... 

I had a friend that shipped his skis when he went to study in Austria and after his studies finished he shipped them back home. If you are looking to really buy skis and want to buy them from a rental shop I would advise the following. Test the skis at different rental shops (don't go with your first option). Once you liked some skis keep them in mind and after testing more, come back to the ones you liked the most. I did it like that and ended up buying them at Sport 2000. But what works for me, might not work for you... I'm quite happy, but it was a long process before deciding which ones to buy... Also keep in mind your level of expertise, because maybe you will rent not so good equipment as it is cheaper. You want something to last for a long time, so be careful... Hope it helped

5 hours ago, DieJessie said:

There are so many possibilities... 

I had a friend that shipped his skis when he went to study in Austria and after his studies finished he shipped them back home. If you are looking to really buy skis and want to buy them from a rental shop I would advise the following. Test the skis at different rental shops (don't go with your first option). Once you liked some skis keep them in mind and after testing more, come back to the ones you liked the most. I did it like that and ended up buying them at Sport 2000. But what works for me, might not work for you... I'm quite happy, but it was a long process before deciding which ones to buy... Also keep in mind your level of expertise, because maybe you will rent not so good equipment as it is cheaper. You want something to last for a long time, so be careful... Hope it helped

Thank you for your help. Yeah, if I end up buying them I will ship them back home. Hope the company are careful with them, as sometimes things can be broken etc.

Many resorts now do a deal, where you can rest a ski for the day, and take it back and change it multiple times during the day. That way you can try quite a few different ski's on the same day - then maybe if you like you - you can think about buying.

This is a locals guide to ISCHGL ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljf1oEY9rAM), the guy in the video, describes how it works, of course you need to ask some local ski shops in  Garmisch or lenggries if they do that as well.

yes the Dolomites are stunning - but Ischgl also has some very nice scenery, in fact at of places have nice scenery and are much closer

If you are really worried about the cost, you could think about ski touring, where you walk up the mountain ( for free ) and ski down - so you get a work out ( on the way up )  and the fun of coming down - there are several clubs in the Munich area to contact if you want to do it, just ask

Many good tips here already on resorts, completely agree on heading for Austria or the Dolomites if you can. I’m sure there will be tons of student-organized trips as well, that should be cheap and easy.

Regarding buying, have a look at the shops in Munich, Sportscheck for example, and get advice on what type of ski makes sense for you (on/off slope, speed, carve etc.). Then rent the same skis at the resort , if you like them, buy it after the season at Sportscheck (or buy the previous year’s model); normally they have massive discounts. 

Of of course you can check multiple skis in a day at a rental shop, but that’s a huge hassle: you have to go down to the shop, wait to exchange, fit them to your boots etc. That would be too much of a waste of time for me...

16 minutes ago, Dubya said:

Of of course you can check multiple skis in a day at a rental shop, but that’s a huge hassle: you have to go down to the shop, wait to exchange, fit them to your boots etc. That would be too much of a waste of time for me...

Many ski resorts such as Ischgl, stubai, Garmisch  just to name 3- have shops at the top of the lift, so no need to come down to the shop -  as long as your feet are not unusual, then it should be  a case  of just swapping the ski, even if not, go and eat lunch, drink a bier to pass the couple of minutes it takes. Sure if the OP wants to try a lot of ski's, its going to take time and effort.

Thank you all for the tips! I will for sure take a good look at everything before making a decision. Will see if it is possible to test various skis and also going to inform better on the shops and rentals about which skis suit me better. Really looking forward to get to munich and start studying and skiing there. Has it been snowing recently?

My tipp, now is a great time to buy new Ski's, I usually buy from Glisshop in France they have a 20% Discount on already discounted Prices since a week...

Bought Atomic Vantage 2 years ago and just got a pair of Salomon QSTs (92mm) for around 250€.

Hopefully this season won't be as crappy as the last both snow and covid-wise.