DHL is trying to charge me for a failed delivery

11 posts in this topic

So, I received the letter linked below on Thursday from DHL.

The story is:

• In the beginning of Dec I posted my mum and brother an advent calendar each, to my mum's place of work in the UK (staffed daily from 0830 - 1700)
  • The DHL website claimed they tried to deliver the parcels three times
  • Neither parcel was delivered by DHL, nor was a delivery slip left.  The second and third supposed delivery times and dates the office was staffed.
  • I phoned the helpline, my mum phoned the helpline - no help, only an automated message
  • My mum phoned the depot - no help, as she had no delivery slip
  • I sent an online report/complaint on the DHL website complaining; no response
  • I Tweeted DHL UK, they told me they can only see what I can see on the DHL website, then told me to complain in Germany, as that’s where I sent the parcels from
  • A month later, mid January, the two parcels arrived back at my flat in Munich.  The delivery driver wanted €10 each for unexplained reasons (language barrier).  My partner was home alone and, not understanding, told him we didn't want them back for €20.
  • Now I receive the attached letters, one for each parcel, demanding more money!

What should I do?  What are my options?  They never tried to deliver the parcels, and now they want me to pay a ridiculous amount of money to take them back!

My instinct is not to pay.  What will happen?

Letter page 1: https://i.imgur.com/GithEYR.jpg

Letter page 2: https://i.imgur.com/BnCXtsI.jpg

On all international deliveries, DHL ask if you want the item returned if not delivered... They often forget to tell you that you are liable for the costs.. 

3 hours ago, AberMiranda said:

• The DHL website claimed they tried to deliver the parcels three times
  • Neither parcel was delivered by DHL, nor was a delivery slip left.  The second and third supposed delivery times and dates the office was staffed.

I certainly empathize, sounds like a nightmare. The problem in this situation is that they have documentation of their claims, you don't. Unfortunately. I think we all know that "attempted delivery" can easily be fibbed by time-pressed low-paid delivery drivers. Still, they claim they tried and I don't see how you will prove otherwise. Presumably these items had to be signed for? It could be they somehow couldn't get access, or no one would sign-off the deliveries, etc.

What should I do?  What are my options? 

Swallow the bitter pill now, or swallow the larger spikier bitterer pill later. Faint hope that they will undo the charges, I'm afraid. The larger charge is for them "storing" your parcels, and that's somewhat besides everything else, because the fact is that they are "holding" it for you. Cushioned on golden pillows, it seems.

I'm sure there are better legal options and someone may have better advice, but you could try telling them to destroy the items, as you will not receive them back. That probably won't undo the charges, and who knows what they may bill you for destroying the parcels...

They never tried to deliver the parcels, and now they want me to pay a ridiculous amount of money to take them back!

But you don't know that for sure. I doubt a courier service will easily accept any claims that they didn't (try to) do their job.

My instinct is not to pay.  What will happen?

They will be quite persistent. If you do nothing, it will get worse. You must reply one way or the other.

Gotta love the "Mit freundlichen Grüßen" at the end.

@SpiderPig i think your comment is spot in. Maybe you can you explain a little more where to check or not check when sending internationally to avoid this costly return to sender trap?

12 hours ago, AberMiranda said:

In the beginning of Dec I posted my mum and brother an advent calendar each, to my mum's place of work in the UK (staffed daily from 0830 - 1700)

I don't know the details, but...

Let's assume Mrs. Mandy Mommy works at ACME Ltd. on 16 John Doe drive in 12345 Middlefrisem

then...

Mrs. Mandy Mommy

16 John Doe drive

12345 Middlefrisem

... is a BAD address, but...

Mrs. Mandy Mommy

c/o ACME Ltd.

16 John Doe drive

12345 Middlefrisem

is a GOOD address.

What kind of address did you write on the package/envelope?

1 hour ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

@SpiderPig i think your comment is spot in. Maybe you can you explain a little more where to check or not check when sending internationally to avoid this costly return to sender trap?

I'm petty sure there's a box you tick on the Versandschein, that shipping sticker you have to fill out.

Just found this image on the web, see red point number 2: https://images.gutefrage.net/media/fragen/bilder/was-kann-ich-damit-anfangen-dhl/0_big.jpg?v=1560872464693

In case it can't be delivered, you can have it returned to sender or treated as abandoned.

That is a "World" label, not DE and EU.. 

The DE and EU do not have that option, but if I send anything outside of DE, then the Worker Asks me what I want to happen to the box or they cant continue to the Barcode print process..

I followed all the rules required by DHL regarding the address; the UK delivery driver simply failed to do their job.

In summary, I have paid the money.  My German colleague called the Verbraucherzentrale office in Munich (https://www.verbraucherzentrale-bayern.de/beratungsstellen/muenchen) to ask for advice.  As soon as they heard the complaint was regarding DHL, they gave us a pay-per-minute "helpline" for DHL.  Not much use.  

Lesson learnt.  Avoid DHL at all costs for UK parcels, unless your package is a perfect, small rectangle that can be accepted by Royal Mail.

I have also just followed the rules on the DHL website... A package will be winging its way to the UK tomorrow

I had the choice of carton sizes.. Cardboard tube for posters etc etc...

Then before I was allowed to proceed to payment, it asked me what to do if the parcel cant be delivered...

dhllegal.png

I had a similar situation last week.

Got a note from DHL stating they couldn't deliver a package. I had to go pick it up at the post office and pay 10 Euros for it.

I thought this was the still not arrived Christmas Box from my parents in America (posted Dec 18) but no, it was a new but turned out to be faulty Tablet PC I'd ordered via Ebay last summer from China. I had tracked it's return, had been refunded in full back then, but the tablet PC had sat at the customs in China and was never picked up by the seller. The numerous destinations where the package then went included Canada.

As the Tablet is crap and the package was never opened, I wish I had thought quickly last week, but no, and refused to take it back at the local post office, and also I was dumb enough to pay the 10 Euros.

Now it just gets thrown away as some electro recycling box.