Private Schools Mannheim

10 posts in this topic

Hello, 
anyone that have/had kids in Private Schools in Mannheim could give a recommendation? I heard about Kurpfalz Gymnasium and Realschule in Mannheim. Any experience? Any idea about costs? Any other good name to search through?

thanks!

How old are your children? Are you thinking of elementary school or from fifth grade on? Do you read German?

The local paper Mannheimer Morgen published a special just a few weeks ago, introducing all schools from fifth grade on. You can get it at their booth in Thalia on the Planken, cost is 3,50 Euro. 

I can recommend it, it gives a lot of info, also about costs of the private schools.

The open days of the secondary schools are coming up now, that's also a good way of learning more about them.

Dear Christine,

thank you very much. This will help a lot. We will try to find this newspaper in Thalia this week.

My son is in the 3rd grade and I'm strongly reconsidering to move him to another school. The fact is that we live in a small city, and we think that the school is not as well-prepared for receiving international kids as in Mannheim. We think the structure in Mannheim will be better for him.

Private school could be a good option, but I'm still trying to find that would be the best option to him.

Any help is very appreciated.

Regards,

William Vidal.

The special from Mannheimer Morgen is only about schools from fifth grade on, so it won't help you much now if your son is in third grade. 

The only private elementary school about which I have some personal knowledge is the Waldorfschule. A family I knew had two children there from first grade on, one of them liked it very much and stayed to the Abitur, the other one liked it but decided to change into a state school for fifth grade, mostly because of friends going there.

It 's a school in which the parents are supposed to do more than just pay tuition, but also help with fixing things, painting the classroom etc. It's also a school with a special philosophy, either you like it or you don't. 

A family member of mine did great in a Waldorf school, but not every family will or can give the support they expect.

http://www.waldorfschule-mannheim.de/deutsch/freie-waldorf-schule-mehr-informationen.html

It seems to be all in German. If your child does not speak German yet, do get a private tutor. It's mostly up to the teacher, how much help a non-speaking child will get, some teachers go out of their way , sadly mostly won't.

I'm sure there are other private elementary schools in Mannheim, probably run by the church, but I don't have any personal knowledge about them.

Dear Christine,

Thank you very much. We got the special from Manheimer Post. It is really helpful and it will be a plan B for us.

It would be great to have something similar for Grundschule.

I'll keep searching.

On 28/01/2020, 17:12:26, christine.j said:

It 's a school in which the parents are supposed to do more than just pay tuition, but also help with fixing things, painting the classroom etc. It's also a school with a special philosophy, either you like it or you don't.

... let's not forget that there are two Waldorf schools in Mannheim with kind of a different erm, standing. Including in regard to this.

On 28/01/2020, 17:12:26, christine.j said:

I'm sure there are other private elementary schools in Mannheim, probably run by the church, but I don't have any personal knowledge about them.

The only private confessional elementary school in Mannheim is Adventist.

There are no other private elementary schools in Mannheim proper i'm aware of.There's a baptist confessional elementary school in Ludwigshafen and Metropolitan International School (MIS) in Viernheim, on which one might want to do a forum search here first.

Dear Kato and Christine,

thanks. I’m getting hopeless to find good options around. We are not big fans of Waldorf methods. I though Mannheim could offer a handful set of options but not even there.

Heidelberg could be an option and I was there in 2 international schools during our first month in Germany, but they were a way too expensive, in a format that companies will pay for it.

If someone knows something in Schwetzingen, Hockenheim or surroundings I really appreciate.

Today I had a tough meeting in the school with the teacher. It is frustrating to see that she doesn’t understand our needs and the needs of our son. The German system seems to be very limited.

For me as a father it was sad to see her making 2 questions to him that he was not able to answer and telling me that he is not interested. When I explained the question to him he could answer and the teacher lost her face. How many times he is judged wrongly because the teacher is not prepared??

Hopeless here. Let’s see if some light comes in the next days...

thanks all anyway.

W.

Yep that was the reason my kids ended up in private schools in Germany. Unfortunately not in Mannheim/Heidelberg area so I can't be of any further help here.

If you don´t likle Waldorf schools you might consider Montessori - which in my mind is the other end of the alternative schools spectrum. You should also talk to the Schulberatungsstelle. When we returned from abroad I found them helpful as they have an overview of the different schools in the area and can compare. They also warned me of one private school because they had heard rumors that it might soon be bankrupt. Which turned out to be true and resulted in problems for kids who had then to find an alternative.

Private schools are mostly  from 5th grade on, and  usually children attend the  elementary school which is closest to their home. If you want to change school, you'll need a good reason to send your son out of the catchment area. Sending him to a private school is a good reason, some parents say their child lives with grandma now and attends school there. You could move, but all this is very difficult if you have no family close-by.

There is a Montessori school in Weinheim, but I don't know anything about it. The private MIS in Viernheim gets very mixed reviews. I used to know a family whose daughter attended it, they were more than happy. This was several years ago, though, and from what  I hear now, the school has got worse. There are some posts about it here.

Maybe you can continue trying to improve the situation at your son's current school. A lot depends on the teacher, some go out of their way to help the children, others don't bother at all. Have you talked to the Elternbeirat yet? How is your son's teacher seen by the other parents? How good is your son's German? Does he get extra tutoring in the afternoon? Either in one of the Nachhilfeschulen or by a private tutor?  If you can get someone who knows your son's school, it'll help him a lot. What about his friends' parents? Have you talked to them about the situation?

Good luck to you and your son.