Accommodation at Clausthal / braunschweig area

5 posts in this topic

What's it like finding accommodation at Clausthal? is it safe / wise to use online services to secure accommodation before arriving at Clausthal? what is the average cost of monthly rent and what neighbourhoods are good / safe to reside in.

Clausthal (resp. Clausthal-Zellerfeld) is a rather small town in the Harz mountains. The monthly rents are very affordable and the atmosphere nice. You could look for "Studentenwohnung" and "Clausthal" in ebay kleinanzeigen and find lots of adverts.

Clausrhal is not really in the area of braunschweig. Are you coming here as a student. If so as previously mentioned there are lots of student type apartments but they are ususally quite small. The area is ok and lots of foreign students. I live in the harz so have been to almost anything  with driving distance. 

To answer your questions further. In the area you can find accodations from 200 to around 50o per month. (Student accommodation to larger flat) i would never consider doing a long term lease sight unseen from internet unless you are contracting a short term furnished accomadation via a short term rental site. We did this in berlin so that we had a  place upo  arrival to look for permanent accommodation. Of course the cost is higher. As far as the area we just passed through c-z yesterday. Ther are parts that are goid parts and some which are more run down. I dont think there would be unsafe areas but we dont live there so cant really comment. But suspect some areas are just more poror and transient than truely unsafe. As i previously comment there are a lot of foreigh students there. Hope this helps

C-Z is a 'quiet' place but big enough to have all the services one needs and not far from Goslar (train station).  Mind, it has been described as the only Uni with two winter terms each year, so take some warm clothes.