4,872 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Agree.

Where did you see that? AFAIK, we have a much higher number of respirator beds than Italy per 1M persons. If I remember correctly, Italy had 3000, Germany 28000 and Portugal around 2000.

Anedoctal. My mother is a MD (chefe de serviço) in a hospital in Lisbon and told me that today. I’m worried about her, it’s very stupid to have this happening one year before retirement. So you may be right, it would be interesting to have a hard reference. I’ll look for it tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Well, that's why I am doing statistics. My company allows us to take home office during this crisis. But my boss is not happy that I decided to do that 100% of the time. He thinks we are overreacting, because German health care is so good that we don't need to worry. So I have to draw my own conclusions and decide if I follow his advice and go back to work on Monday, or if I decide to start a war with him.

that’s interesting, my company is very German in structure and thinking and they’ve taken the opposite approach: all white collar jobs in homeoffice unless presence is essential for problem solving, production is running but with minimum shifts of isolated employees, no more meetings and no employees sharing an office anymore. 

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Why don't we all just do what we can to stop the virus and lessen the infection rate FFS?

How about boiling it for 20 minutes before using it?

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm sick and tired of statistics

It´s useful though as it gives you hints about what may or may not work and how the virus is transmitted. E. g. I guess the fact that the lockdown of Wuhan achieved that there were no new cases indicates that the risk of catching the virus via touching contaminated surfaces is low. Which is helping me to sleep a lot better.

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm sick and tired of statistics. Why don't we all just do what we can to stop the virus and lessen the infection rate FFS?

Stay at home and/or keep your distance. I recommend double of what the recommended distance is. I am not an expert or a doctor.

Common sense, people.

Those are my feelings today.

From what I am seeing, about 40% of TTers are getting sick of all these statistics too... 

Not an administration to ever miss a chance to sink to a new low, apparently Trump does not think the governors should be in charge of enforcing quarantines; they should just be in charge of every other aspect of pandemic response.

DOJ seeks new emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic

The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.

Documents reviewed by POLITICO detail the department’s requests to lawmakers on a host of topics, including the statute of limitations, asylum and the way court hearings are conducted. POLITICO also reviewed and previously reported on documents seeking the authority to extend deadlines on merger reviews and prosecutions.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment on the documents.

The move has tapped into a broader fear among civil liberties advocates and Donald Trump’s critics — that the president will use a moment of crisis to push forcontroversial policy changes. Already, he has cited the pandemic as a reason for heightening border restrictions and restricting asylum claims. He has also pushed for further tax cuts as the economy withers, arguing that it would soften the financial blow to Americans. And even without policy changes, Trump has vast emergency powers that he could legally deploy right now to try and slow the coronavirus outbreak.

The DOJ requests — which are unlikely to make it through a Democratic-led House — span several stages of the legal process, from initial arrest to how cases are processed and investigated.

For you non-Americans, this is a federal overreach on a very basic civil liberty in the US. 

Thankfully, there is not much of a chance Congress will approve it.

Thermometer company: Florida compares only to NYC in spike in fever data

A company that makes Internet-connected thermometers has found “widespread atypical illness” throughout Florida that can’t be explained by the late flu season and, public health experts warn, it may be a sign that coronavirus infections may be more widespread in the state than previously reported.

Kinsa Health, a San Francisco-based company that has sold or given away thousands of smart thermometers to households in Florida, has the power to track in real-time people’s fevers as soon as they test for them. The thermometer data serves as an early warning of illness, and the company has used it to track the spread of the flu in Florida and around the country for six years.

As the novel coronavirus has spread, Kinsa Health has tracked a “strong correlation” between confirmed COVID-19 cases and illness that cannot be explained or attributed to seasonal flu across Florida, potentially indicating the spread of the virus is faster than the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was reporting it, said Patrick Phillips, head of data science for Kinsa Health.

Click the link and watch the progression video.

21 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Not an administration to ever miss a chance to sink to a new low, apparently Trump does not think the governors should be in charge of enforcing quarantines; they should just be in charge of every other aspect of pandemic response.

DOJ seeks new emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic

For you non-Americans, this is a federal overreach on a very basic civil liberty in the US. 

Thankfully, there is not much of a chance Congress will approve it.

On that point, is there any chance that the Yellow Peril can decide because of the emergency to cancel the Presidential Elections and hang onto power for another 4 years like all the other power mad imbeciles in the World?

2 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

This show yesterday was a very informative listen (5 live)

Loads of good facts.

Like the particles are similsr to those in smoke. So obviously after an infected person coughs it stays hanging 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gkn0

This what I do. If anyone coughs near me I hold my breath, I walk away and then I exhale everything in my lungs, I then take a second deep breath and exhale again. Anyone who did gas attack drills in the armed forces will know where that comes from. I've also done it when exiting a lift and in fact I've made a conscious decision to avoid lifts where I can.

13 minutes ago, French bean said:

On that point, is there any chance that the Yellow Peril can decide because of the emergency to cancel the Presidential Elections and hang onto power for another 4 years like all the other power mad imbeciles in the World?

No, this is just not a thing that can happen. If, for any reason, a presidential election is interrupted, on January 20th following when the November election should have happened,  the Speaker of the House assumes the executive role until such time as an election can happen.

Just now, AlexTr said:

No, this is just not a thing that can happen. If, for any reason, a presidential election is interrupted, on January 20th following when the November election should have happened,  the Speaker of the House assumes the executive role until such time as an election can happen.

Thank God for that

9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Well, that's why I am doing statistics. My company allows us to take home office during this crisis. But my boss is not happy that I decided to do that 100% of the time. He thinks we are overreacting, because German health care is so good that we don't need to worry. So I have to draw my own conclusions and decide if I follow his advice and go back to work on Monday, or if I decide to start a war with him.

i wanted to add and then forgot, your boss is a damned idiot. Ask if if he really wants a psychiatrist handling his pneumonia and if not to stay home.

8 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

i wanted to add and then forgot, your boss is a damned idiot. Ask if if he really wants a psychiatrist handling his pneumonia and if not to stay home.

Or does he want to argue with the Ordnungsamt / Polizei as the advice is that those workers who can stay at home and minimal movement.

Looks like some places in US are preparing for a big influx of patients, worrying that they are also asking for vets to help - although they will be used to dealing with patients who cannot speak and with very different internal organs so humans will not be so alien to them, and I very much doubt they will be doing anything unsupervised! link to police facebook page 

San Mateo County is looking for any and all medical professionals who may be able to assist in response to COVID-19. There is a need for current or retired medical professionals to assist. This can range from dentists, veterinarians, medical assistants - folks in the medical field. If you are able to assist please contact ccorley@colma.ca.gov or call 650-997-8300.

10 hours ago, Metall said:

Interesting public service announcement by a good quality medical Youtuber: What NOT to try against corona virus/COVID-19! (And why.)

Interesting, but let me summarize:

1) don't drink rubbing alcohol

2) don't drink bleach

3) don't treat covid-19 with garlic

4) don't treat covid-19 with ginger

5) don't treat covid-19 with essential oils

6) don't treat covid-19 with cocaine

7) do wash your hands

Unfortunately, the people who drink bleach or alcohol can be saved after they drink it. 

- I would far rather have a vet treating me, than a dentist, if I end up in hospital - if you think about it, vets treat the signs and symptoms that they see, and are actually very good at joining the dots.

A dentist might be very good if you need a filling, but....

1 hour ago, French bean said:

This what I do. If anyone coughs near me I hold my breath, I walk away and then I exhale everything in my lungs, I then take a second deep breath and exhale again. Anyone who did gas attack drills in the armed forces will know where that comes from. I've also done it when exiting a lift and in fact I've made a conscious decision to avoid lifts where I can.

The virus also enters through the eyes so additional protection (like glasses) would help. I do the holding the breath thing too. I wouldn't use a lift now at all.