4,953 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cybil said:

As for corona virus, I like to look from time to time at the weekly infections in NRW report (must be one for other parts of the country as well. A few weeks back tuburculosis was the most common thing around but this week 'Keutchhusten' is running a close second:  https://www.lzg.nrw.de/inf_schutz/meldewesen/infektionsberichte/wochen-infektionsberichte/index.html

Am I reading the "barometer" wrong, as it seems to be saying both are in the negative, ie reduction in cases.  As opposed to EHEC which seems to have increased somewhat.  And surely most people are vaccinated against pertusis in the triple vaccine DPT given here every 10 years?

7 hours ago, cybil said:

I am wondering if there was a warming trend back during the days of the Black Death.

Quite the contrary. The 14th and 15th century was a cold period which was a huge problem as harvests were very meager leading to famines in Europe. Which in turn promoted progromes and wars ( sorry, in German: https://www.welt.de/geschichte/article149168932/Der-Klimawandel-hat-Europa-schon-einmal-zerstoert.html)

On 1/24/2020, 8:49:24, BradinBayern said:

Worldwide the coronavirus has killed somethng around 25 people.  Meanwhile the regular flu has killed 25,000 in Germany alone.  I am not sure what makes the corona virus so much worse, but I haven't been following it that closely.  After the press hyped the Bird Flu so much has made me sceptical.  Doesn't hurt to be careful, though. 

In which time span?

On 1/24/2020, 8:57:32, LostBetweenCountries said:

I mostly disinfect because I don't want anyone's germs. Be it this 'new' virus, the flu or the common cold. People are nasty. But yea I probably wouldn't fly to Wuhan China right about now. 

People are nasty? I bet you're fun at parties. Good luck with your OCD. 

On 2/6/2020, 7:38:26, mtbiking said:

According to my wife:

- Doctors and experts in Germany and Europe in general do not trust at all what China is saying, giving the fact that experts in China have been threatened and arrested for speaking since day 1.

- the mortality rate seems to hold fast at 2% or more, 20 times higher than the common flue.

- While SARS had a mortality rate far higher than that, it was little contagious in comparison with this virus.

So, no reason to panic, which makes things worse anyway, but going on like nothing abnormal is happening or can ever happen seems to me naively optimistic. 

Such a shame you don't have an opinion for yourself. I know you're joking but grow a pair.

Worldwide the coronavirus has killed somethng around 25 people.  Meanwhile the regular flu has killed 25,000 in Germany alone.  I am not sure what makes the corona virus so much worse, but I haven't been following it that closely.  After the press hyped the Bird Flu so much has made me sceptical.  Doesn't hurt to be careful, though. 

In which time span?

I mostly disinfect because I don't want anyone's germs. Be it this 'new' virus, the flu or the common cold. People are nasty. But yea I probably wouldn't fly to Wuhan China right about now. 

11 hours ago, cybil said:

Though I have always wondered what happens when digging a new underground tunnel leads to opening up an old plauge pit, a few years back there was a report from BBC about the bacteria and viruses that are in the melting permafrost or simply underground but blasted or dug up in our modern times. What is scary is that at least in this article, these bacteria are antibiotic resistant:  http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up So the more ice that melts, the more of this bacteria come out! 

I wouldn't worry about that too much.

The coronavirus is almost certainly a result of Chinese 'wet markets' (named for the state of their floors, from blood, guts, water, gunk, etc.) which sell anything from raised livestock to wild animals. Refrigeration is still not common for most Chinese outside the upper classes in First Tier cities, much less their markets. Most get their meat from an old lady fanning a tassel over chunks of meat on a table in the open air for hours on end while prospective customers come along and finger and man-handle each chunk, etc. Wild animals await their turn to be cooked alive in little cages next to other wild animals. Soap and hand-washing are not common. The source of this coronavirus is almost certainly wild bats on sale at such markets. Bats are known reservoirs of virus's due to their pretty cool immune system. E.g.: https://www.livescience.com/44870-bats-viruses-flight.html

So no need to worry after all. Trump says the virus will be gone in April. Whew!

Donald Trump is facing ridicule after claiming the coronavirus will likely disappear in April when "the heat comes in” as backlash grows over US border officials reportedly blasting a Native American burial site to make way for the border wall.

On Monday, Mr Trump seemingly attempted to mitigate fears of a global pandemic by telling the nation's governors in the White House State Dining Room: "The heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus." He said the US was "in very good shape" to handle the spread of the virus after the death toll surpassed 900 victims in China.

here

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So no need to worry after all. Trump says the virus will be gone in April. Whew!

I know I'm relieved.

trump_idiot.jpg.cbca1f81c8ed9555e518a76e

Oh, wait, I'm not relieved. What's that other thing again?

If you have not read it, you should read it now:

D. Quammen

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic

The emergence of strange new diseases is a frightening problem that seems to be getting worse. In this age of speedy travel, it threatens a worldwide pandemic. We hear news reports of Ebola, SARS, AIDS, and something called Hendra killing horses and people in Australiabut those reports miss the big truth that such phenomena are part of a single pattern. The bugs that transmit these diseases share one thing: they originate in wild animals and pass to humans by a process called spillover. David Quammen tracks this subject around the world. He recounts adventures in the fieldnetting bats in China, trapping monkeys in Bangladesh, stalking gorillas in the Congowith the worlds leading disease scientists. In Spillover Quammen takes the reader along on this astonishing quest to learn how, where from, and why these diseases emerge, and he asks the terrifying question:

What might the next big one be?  -> we know it: corona

Just read it in a German newspaper: Two people from Japan (evacuated from Wuhan) who were tested negative two times now show the first symptoms of Corona.

On 06/02/2020, 09:17:24, BradinBayern said:

Doctors in China are probably underreporting the cases of infection of the coronavirus because there are plenty of cases where it is very mild and can appear as if it is a normal flu virus and the medical facilities are overwhelmed.

Probably? They 100% are, though it's less the doctors than the CPC authorities cooking the books. You may have read that one of the first whistleblowing doctors recently died of Corona virus, though at first police/commissars forced him to sign 'I've been a baaaad boy' documents that he disturbed social order. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51403795

Simply remember that the CPC are bad-faith actors and do not trust anything they say. I don't want to sound too tinfoil, but lying to foreign press and governments and playing them like fiddles (just google for examples of "Chinese Crybully") are standard marching orders. 

I don't think we need to panic, as you say. Standard precautions, etc. Western medical set-up, and certainly in Germany, is much better than in China, not to mention routine sanitation in general. Probably simple soap and handwashing routines could've prevented this outbreak, but those are not common in China. 

Nothing new about spillover iinfections.   SARS came via  bats to civets, which  China then banned for consumption.  Civets now allowed again (increased demand due to spillover swine flu from willd pigs and warthogs and ticks to domestic pigs and then spread world wide by pork exports.  Hansa in Australia from bats to horses to people.  Borna from shrews to cats to humans in Germany.  And so on. 

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

Asked and answered.  Twice.  

But you didn't mention it in the article that I quoted. Stop being a smart arse and get out more my old mate. Such a shame! Bye Bradothy.

On 2/6/2020, 7:38:26, mtbiking said:

According to my wife:

- Doctors and experts in Germany and Europe in general do not trust at all what China is saying, giving the fact that experts in China have been threatened and arrested for speaking since day 1.

- the mortality rate seems to hold fast at 2% or more, 20 times higher than the common flue.

- While SARS had a mortality rate far higher than that, it was little contagious in comparison with this virus.

So, no reason to panic, which makes things worse anyway, but going on like nothing abnormal is happening or can ever happen seems to me naively optimistic. 

Such a shame you don't have an opinion for yourself. I know you're joking but grow a pair.

In which time span?

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Quite the contrary. The 14th and 15th century was a cold period which was a huge problem as harvests were very meager leading to famines in Europe. Which in turn promoted progromes and wars ( sorry, in German: https://www.welt.de/geschichte/article149168932/Der-Klimawandel-hat-Europa-schon-einmal-zerstoert.html)

Actually there is one theory that says that the Black death was the midwife for our society today. There were so few people left that the old feudal order of serfs and lords totaly disintegrated and was replaced by land owners having to pay wages for the first time, it also gave rise to the Hospitium, that what we know as a hospitals. It forced people to find alternative methods and technical ways to work the land and produce goods. So you may have to be thankful for the Black death for our modern society.

47 minutes ago, McDee said:

But you didn't mention it in the article that I quoted. Stop being a smart arse and get out more my old mate. Such a shame! Bye Bradothy.

In which time span?

Learn how to quote and learn how to read.  I was asked the same question twice and answered it twice in this thread.  It was for the flu season 2017/2018 which is the last season for which we have full data.  If you bother to go back and read you will see that there is also a discussion about how this was only in Germany and that the worldwide figures can top out at 650,000.  So stop being such a lazy ass and read the thread before commenting.  

6 hours ago, McDee said:

Since my wife is a medical doctor with a couple specialities under her belt (are you?)  I defer to her opinion on such matters as long as she doesn't try to teach me how to program or engineer stuff. 

4 hours ago, McDee said:

Oh Bless your heart... I am actually quite fun at parties. Jesus it must be rough to be so black & White. You've never seen people smear their snot on airplanes? That's what I was referring to. I'm in no way OCD, but that's an overused term anyway. Every time someone doesn't like something because it's out of perceived order they say "OMG my ocd is kicking in..." oh shut the fuck up. 

So yea, thanks for the compliment. I AM FUN! :) :rolleyes::D

Sorry, I was having a really bad day. To all of you, sorry again.

18 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Am I reading the "barometer" wrong, as it seems to be saying both are in the negative, ie reduction in cases.  As opposed to EHEC which seems to have increased somewhat.  And surely most people are vaccinated against pertusis in the triple vaccine DPT given here every 10 years?

@snowingagainYou are right, I read it incorrectly! Embarassing but, sigh, corrected. 

3 hours ago, McDee said:

Sorry, I was having a really bad day. To all of you, sorry again.

No problem, I probably DO need to get out more ;)