4,885 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, yesterday said:

London underground shut down ... when will it come to Germany

A partial closure is not a shutdown.

Berlin's BVG and Deutsche Bahn are also reducing services. Please report accurately and don't spread panicky rumors.

We saw a helicopter flying over the Olympiapark a few times yesterday. We made up that it was checking on crowd sizes and social distancing but have no idea really.

11 hours ago, icbraz said:

Some great tips here in previous posts on where to follow the current statistics and numbers and I will add one more which I have been using: https://corona.help/ but keep in mind this is not an official source, although the numbers of the countries I checked, match the official numbers local newspapers in those countries published. 

Really nice link, allows a good overview of the virus situation

its in my bookmarks

With log scales, comparisons etc full data set

I went shopping this morning at Netto.  Shelves are a bit empty and they are limiting flour to 4 packs per person, however, they didn't have any.  They are also limiting yeast to 5 cubes per person and no, didn't have any either.  Also fresh milk limited to 4 liters per person and they still had some.  My neighbour told me yesterday that she went to Edeka for herself and for an older couple she is doing home care for and the cashier had to call the manager because she was buying too much.

I also walked past a pharmacy on my way back and noticed they had a sign in the window stating if you have a fever or cough, please don't come inside.  Instead call us on the phone and we will come outside and help you.  For others please keep a distance of 1.5m.  

17 minutes ago, LeonG said:

They are also limiting yeast to 5 cubes per person and no, didn't have any either.

I seriously doubt that most people have a clue how to bake with yeast.

2 minutes ago, HEM said:

I think most locals do.  It is even taught in the schools, at least here in Berlin in class 5 and 6.

Anyway, what is it to "know"?  Even if you never did it before you only need a 5 minute YouTube video to learn how to do it, at least at amateur level.

Just now, HEM said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. 

I know how to make pizza dough out of fresh yeast. A good friend of mine was regularly making bread out of a sourtieg that you buy once and then can keep using if you know how. I even have one friend who has been experimenting with baguette (it is kind of difficult).

Yeast cookery takes lots of time (real time not hands-on) & you must not kill the yeast - typically people have the milk too hot.

When I get the opportunity/time/motivation I like baking with yeast.

IMG-4-small.jpg

11 minutes ago, HEM said:

Yeast cookery takes lots of time (real time not hands-on) & you must not kill the yeast - typically people have the milk too hot.

When I get the opportunity/time/motivation I like baking with yeast.

Even my 11 years old kid can make decent bread and she learnt it from school.  Most people are not expecting professional results, just some eatable bread or pizza or whatever.

I just wish the workmen, who're hammering the fuck out of the flat below mine, would fuck off and self-isolate :angry:

I've been making no-knead bread, which yes, does require time, but you just mix up the dough night before and bake it sometime the next day.  It's idiot proof.  

I've never had trouble using yeast for other types of breads or even cakes - it's really not hard at all.

@engelchen here is a video for making no-knead baguettes - I haven't tried it but given the crust and texture with a regular loaf using this dough, it should be a very good (and simple!) approximation for a "real" baguette.  Note this dude has a weird, someone annoying manner of speech ;)  eta: there is no need IME to put the dough in an oven to rise

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

We saw a helicopter flying over the Olympiapark a few times yesterday. We made up that it was checking on crowd sizes and social distancing but have no idea really.

Saw two little glider planes, or drones, or the same on fly over twice yesterday here in Frankfurt.

Never seen them before, although maybe they are around and they have the same office hours as me or they’re so quiet they don’t stand out over the plane noise.

14 hours ago, Krieg said:

Am i missing something or was Merkel's speech totally empty?  No important announcements, she just told us the water is wet?

saw it and found it very well done.

Appealing to all to take the necessary steps to contain the virus, as a matter of solidarity, I found to be spot on. She even mentioned that from personal experience, she appreciates how serious it is to close borders and restrict movement.

For me it was authentic, and politically balanced, since she cannot declare new regulations which are taken on a decentralized level.

Nice one, Angie!:)

1 hour ago, dom said:

saw it and found it very well done.

Appealing to all to take the necessary steps to contain the virus, as a matter of solidarity, I found to be spot on. She even mentioned that from personal experience, she appreciates how serious it is to close borders and restrict movement.

For me it was authentic, and politically balanced, since she cannot declare new regulations which are taken on a decentralized level.

Nice one, Angie!:)

1 hour ago, dom said:

Germany is doing next to nothing...even Trump seems to have taken the issue more seriously. People here are too slow to understand and don't take things seriously (years of economic growth probably created a mindset that Germany is an island sheltered by the storms). I still see tons of people here in Munich going to parks, biergartens, not keeping the distance with each other in supermarkets, making fun of people with masks. 

All while I hear more and more ambulances on the street.

This is not a simple flu, it's the new plague.

Don't watch these videos if you are sensitive, but they should give you an idea of the scale of this disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfkbv_WQtn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw