4,977 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, generalmartok said:

After watching this guys take on the situation, I feel like a lot of the things he says is logical.

He spoke well and is easy to follow. The thing that is missing, though, is that if the latest thing is not that bad, why do people require hospitalisation, and the use of machines which there are then (generally) not enough of?

There is a tendency to look at the death rate as though that is the main point, and I really don't think it is. The way it spreads very quickly and survives on surfaces for a long time combined with the percentage of people who then need a high level of medical support to get through, those are what makes it unsustainable to just say 'it's flu and no real problem'. 

Or do these people think Italy is fabricating the exhausted medical personnel etc? If you now are sick with something completely unrelated in Italy, are you really getting the level of care you need? This overwhelming of the healthcare system is the issue.

That's my take as someone who is essentially clueless about every aspect of this.

Worth showing adults too...

Exactly how they are doing it here on Crete, Mike! And you can disinfect your hands before you go in and again at the till after handing over the bank notes for your purchases.

The usually “ anarchistic “ Greeks are , in the main, being very cooperative and resolute!👍🏼

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Ireland's Taoiseach Leo Varadkar gave a moving speech last night.

It's worth watching, reading.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-full-text-of-leo-varadkar-s-st-patrick-s-day-broadcast-1.4205405

Varadkar being a former doctor himself should be the right person for the job.

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

The little state of Kansas led the way and closed all of its schools, public and private, through the end of the semester, so effectively until August.  California is about to follow suit.  Life is being upended in the US. 

Interestingly Kansas was where Spanish flu originated!

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I have a feeling German arrogance is going to cost this country dearly. I went to Hornbach to get some propane as a backup and it was business as usual. I was the only one with a mask on.

Customers and staff maintaining no social distancing. Customers showing staff items on their phones with the staff handling said customer phones (phones must be the most contaminated surfaces of all!), no disinfectant anywhere. 

It's going to hit just like in Italy. The few thousand more ICU beds we have here won't save us.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Portugal has implemented some interesting supermarket controls: no more than "x" people are allowed in at a time. Others queue outside, with 2m distance. As an example, a Lidl sized supermarket only allows 30 people inside at the same time.

Still, no chaos, people are accepting it well and contrary to Germany, most of the population has requested for over a week to just lockdown the entire country.

In Spain similar measures. My brother said there is security and you are only allowed to take 2 meat packs. He can drive a maximum of 5 km to go shopping in his area. Online deliveries only for elderly who are not mobile. He is wearing a mask. 

6 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I have a feeling German arrogance is going to cost this country dearly. I went to Hornbach to get some propane as a backup and it was business as usual. I was the only one with a mask on.

Customers and staff maintaining no social distancing. Customers showing staff items on their phones with the staff handling said customer phones (phones must be the most contaminated surfaces of all!), no disinfectant anywhere. 

It's going to hit just like in Italy. The few thousand more ICU beds we have here won't save us.

There are way too many idiots around, now the new trend are the "Corona Partys" (sic), the youngsters meet somewhere with portable sound systems and drinks and make a party.    The biggest one yesterday was in Bürgerpark Pankow (a couple of km from my place) where the Police had to go twice to stop the party that had several hundred people.  Then they tried moving it into the woods.   

Sometimes I feel it is either me being old and paranoid or we are surrounded by retards.

Just now, Krieg said:

we are surrounded by retards

that was you hitting the nail on the head, sadly.

They are invincible, which is fine by me, except they will go to the shops, breathe in everyone else's face and the less invincible will get sick and clog up the ICU.

9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Customers and staff maintaining no social distancing.

We are doing the garden for a friend who is about to move back to the UK (can you imagine?!) and visited Real in her city - we kept our distance, and people did seem to be going singly/family through the revolving door, and being thoughtful about not crowding, but then at the till I was asked if I had a Payback card, and she took it off me :o and scanned it herself at her terminal. Hopefully my look of complete horror registered. and she will tell the manager that that is a crap idea. Obviously now I have to disinfect the cards...

I find myself wincing while watching programmes at the moment - way too much social contact - Don't touch that door handle! Wave, don't shake...ah, too late! I am still making my way through the thing with the BAU at the moment, and even the amazing Dr Spencer Reid is far too touchy feely for this new world :lol:

4 minutes ago, kiplette said:

I am still making my way through the thing with the BAU at the moment, and even the amazing Dr Spencer Reid is far too touchy feely for this new world :lol:

I am a big fan of CM, just finished watching the grand finale last week.  It was great.   I will miss Dr Reid and Penelope.   If i was a woman I would totally wear my work ID as Penelope does it, hanging from her skirt.

P.S., Home office is not been as easy as I thought with both kids at home all the time.  My wife has been doing home office for a couple of years but she is on the phone most time so I have to take care of food, school stuff, solve conflicts, etc.  And they are kind of well behave.

Do they like crafting? Philippe magazine is amazing,  https://www.kim-verlag.de/philipp-die-maus-0  - hours of activity from one issue, leading in most cases to something they can then get long-term fun out of.

Can you and your wife run a rota system, and actually agree on working hours, so that the kids have someone who is not dual tasking? Otherwise, you are on her territory and she holds all the cards, which is eventually not especially fair or viable. Have you made a schedule for the kids? We haven't, but if they were younger I think I would be tempted, to stave off the faffing which brings about discord. We may yet do that yourselves, otherwise our modem will explode through overuse....

Not easy. All the best.

4 minutes ago, Alteregouc said:

IMG_3792.JPG

That could be my wife with me and my daughter when she starts working from home.

4 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Can you and your wife run a rota system, and actually agree on working hours, so that the kids have someone who is not dual tasking? Otherwise, you are on her territory and she holds all the cards, which is eventually not especially fair or viable. Have you made a schedule for the kids? We haven't, but if they were younger I think I would be tempted, to stave off the faffing which brings about discord. We may yet do that yourselves, otherwise our modem will explode through overuse...

Not easy. All the best.

The problem is she attends many conference calls a day and the schedule is out of her control.  I have max one or two con-calls a day.     The "solution" would be that I start working much later but that's would be crap, I like to start early and finish early.   Kids have a schedule, they are basically following their classes schedule and they received an organized plan of what to do (thanks teachers), but there is no teacher for input so they have to rely on us.   I am considering lifting the "no electronics during the week" rule and allowing them to contact external people for support, because on top of that my German is not good enough for 6th grade, I am fluent-ish but my grammar is not great.   I will have to organize a German friend for this if we go that way because the current status of the WhatsApp group of the elder is total chaos, plenty of kids are basically having "Corona Holidays" and the WhatsApp group is the usual nonsense times 100.

I guess I will have to continue winging it.   And to be fair, my wife is doing what she can, tons of support when she can and after working hours.  Actually I am been a baby.   

56 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In Spain similar measures. My brother said there is security and you are only allowed to take 2 meat packs. He can drive a maximum of 5 km to go shopping in his area. Online deliveries only for elderly who are not mobile. He is wearing a mask. 

My mother in law said she saw in Portugal many old people going to the supermarket with huge masks almost covering the glasses and dish cleaning gloves up to the elbows :D:D:D

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Actually I am been a baby.   

I think that's understandable. From what you describe, you are going to be taking one for the team pretty much constantly, which requires much tolerance, understanding and good nature, which to be fair, you do seem to have, judging by your posts.

I would lift the ban, I really would, and put the whatsapp on silent and check it at regular intervals. I don't know if Sofatutor is still working, or if it has imploded in the last few days, but that could be really worth it for you - it's quite cheap and they can get personal support for all subjects. For us it has been so far a bit of a waste since my kids are older and very set in their ways, but yours might be up for it, and it would take the pressure off you.

My wife is working day long at the hospital and I’m more or less being able to work at home because my colleagues understand the situation and because of a couple neighbors with whom we teamed up. Slowly getting grumpy though. To make things worse we all started coughing yesterday. Probably a cold or Corona or whatever. Still I’m not complaining as we have good, recession proof jobs.  For many it’s much worse.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Interestingly Kansas was where Spanish flu originated!

Not known for sure.  That's one of several competing theories. One source here. Fascinating!

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

"While it’s unlikely that the “Spanish Flu” originated in Spain, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States, where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918. Researchers have also conducted extensive studies on the remains of victims of the pandemic, but they have yet to discover why the strain that ravaged the world in 1918 was so lethal."

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

China says they already have a vaccine...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/china-covid-19-vaccination-1.5500202

This will be fun to watch. Normal vaccine development takes years, mostly due to paperwork and QA. Wonder if this will be accepted in western world without going through all the normal trials and paperwork. My guess is governments will make an exception.

I think Singapore will go ahead and speed up tests without too much paperwork.   Some weeks ago they announced they will do tests on people on April, not sure if there will be something to test so early other than single tests.