5,125 posts in this topic

A bit of trivia*: Guyana has a 100% death rate for COVID-19.

One person infected, one person died.

...the local Ministry of Public Health has confirmed Guyana’s first case of the novel coronarvirus coronavirus-1-300x169.jpg[COVID-19]. The victim, a woman said to be in her 50s and suffering from underlying conditions including diabetes and hypotension, was pronounced dead at the Georgetown Public Hospital [GPHC].
Reports suggest that the woman travelled from New York, United States before March 9, 2020.

* not that the woman's death is trivial. It's just: who cares what's happening in Guyana.

Just read on Der Spiegel that the only reason that Germany has so many respirators is because hospitals place palliative patients in them, because they can charge the insurances for more money! 

Also read that they are not willing to postpone non urgent operations, as they make much more money on them than on treating pneumonia!

37 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

It's just: who cares what's happening in Guyana.

No. I disagree. Respectfully.

I would rather say splashing 100% mortality - factually correct at this point (or not if complete information is unavailable) - would be encouraging the sale of gutter journalism and panic.

We can choose how to handle information and how to respond. I have been trying, unsuccessfully (dunno why people cannot grasp this) to make this point.

15 minutes ago, optimista said:

I would rather say splashing 100% mortality - factually correct at this point - would be encouraging the sale of gutter journalism and panic.

I think most intelligent people can tell the difference. This is TT, not the Guardian. I didn't expect anyone here to panic because of that stat!
It was a tongue in cheek stat, in other words.

2x OAPs I know each have live in Polish home help.

It's been working well for the past couple of years.

This morning, they upped and left before the border to Poland

closes at midnight tonight.

Today they can pass freely, tomorrow they would

have to be in 14 day quarantine in Poland.

The OAPs are now without care or home help.

We're trying to organise some replacements so that they can get through next week...

If this is true across the country,

are Polish builders, nurses, workers of whatever rushing home ?

Who will take their places ?

25 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

2x OAPs I know each have live in Polish home help.

It's been working well for the past couple of years.

This morning, they upped and left before the border to Poland

closes at midnight tonight.

Today they can pass freely, tomorrow they would

have to be in 14 day quarantine in Poland.

The OAPs are now without care or home help.

We're trying to organise some replacements so that they can get through next week...

If this is true across the country,

are Polish builders, nurses, workers of whatever rushing home ?

Who will take their places ?

2 Polish workers near me, both still here (1 visited home 2 weeks ago) and I have not heard that they have any intention to return. I hope you can find help for the OAP's

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Let the herd immunity begin.

Worked well for the flu and common cold didn`t it.Oh and measles and chicken pox etc.

21 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Easter is still 4 weeks away. Do you think anyone will be allowed to travel anywhere in 4 weeks?

It's only going to get worst before it gets better. My opinion is that in the next 2 weeks the whole Europe will be like Italy, i.e. full lockdown. After that, they will only relax when it is under control. Looking at China, this means probably 4-6 weeks after a full lockdown.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It's only going to get worst before it gets better. My opinion is that in the next 2 weeks the whole Europe will be like Italy, i.e. full lockdown. After that, they will only relax when it is under control. Looking at China, this means probably 4-6 weeks after a full lockdown.

I think so too. I have a feeling 1st May things may have calmed down. I hope so anyhow.

In theory, 3-4 weeks should be enough, but Europe is not a dictatorship and most countries don't allow a strict lockdown, meaning this can take much longer.

Just now, MikeMelga said:

In theory, 3-4 weeks should be enough, but Europe is not a dictatorship and most countries don't allow a strict lockdown, meaning this can take much longer.

Which countries don't allow lock down other than the UK?

On Thursday, Boris Johnson delivered the most chilling warning from a British prime minister since Winston Churchill prepared the country for potential destruction during World War Two. “I must level with you,” Johnson said, looking like a man who had just emerged from a doctor’s office after receiving a terrible diagnosis. “Many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time.”

His message was stark, and somehow seemed to hit even harder coming from a man who has built his political career on flippant clownery. The novel coronavirus can no longer be contained in the United Kingdom, he said, and all that can be done now is to mitigate the worst effects of it to give the doctors and nurses in the country’s already creaking national health service a fighting chance to save as many lives as possible.

But the strict containment measures now familiar around the planet—population lockdowns, prohibition of mass gatherings, and travel bans—were notable only by their absences. Johnson’s government has diverged with the rest of the world and decided to take a much less draconian approach, and his scientific advisers have admitted the strategy could see as much as 60 percent of the population catch the coronavirus.

In point of fact, Britain is effectively encouraging a potentially deadly virus to spread to the majority of the people who live here. Remember, the U.K. is one of the only European countries which is still allowed to send flights to the United States under President Donald Trump’s travel ban.

the rest

6 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

A FB friend just posted this

I have read today that this fibrosis test thing is not true. If someone who has some medical knowledge would comment, that would be nice.

The thing with the UK I simply don't understand. The countries trying to mitigate the worst effects are proposing isolation. By allowing large scale events to continue, surely the worst effects are simply being allowed to happen? I just don't get the maths. I fear the NHS is going to be completely overwhelmed. 

25 minutes ago, kiplette said:

I fear the NHS is going to be completely overwhelmed.

It already was from everything I've read.

I'm not buying some of those things from FB. When the WHO comes out with how long the virus lives on different surfaces, I'll believe it.

Washing hands well with normal soap is just as good as anti-bacterial.

Drinking warm water and no ice sounds German to me.

According to this link

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

3758 Confirmed cases in Germany

8 deaths

1143 Confirmed cases in UK

21 deaths

That is a big difference.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Just read on Der Spiegel that the only reason that Germany has so many respirators is because hospitals place palliative patients in them, because they can charge the insurances for more money! 

Also read that they are not willing to postpone non urgent operations, as they make much more money on them than on treating pneumonia!

Looks like those respirators are very much needed. Shows the difference. The NHS is overwhelmed.