4,884 posts in this topic

Not placing a graph today about Italy, nothing significant. Seems to be slowing down, but I think we need 1-3 days to completely confirm it.

5 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Jealous. I miss my winter sauna to kill off the bugs. 

You're jealous because L13 isn't going to the sauna. You really are a knob.

4 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Got any links?

has any actual expert commented directly on what UK is doing (not that they seem to be doing much)?

5 hours ago, French bean said:

Schools in RLP will be closed from Monday, we have the email addresses of her core teachers and apparently there is a Whatsapp group. Great apart from some of the kids don't have Whatsapp. I'll be contacting her teachers for a learning schedule and I've already told my daughter she will have structured learning sessions.

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

Is that a cocktail?

Just a cock.

On 3/12/2020, 4:22:44, HEM said:

Saw this on another forum:

On 3/8/2020, 7:25:17, French bean said:

16 minutes ago, McDee said:
  22 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Jealous. I miss my winter sauna to kill off the bugs. 

So go to the sauna then and stop playing the victim.

4 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

POTUS to declare a state of emergency tonight 8pm our time. I anticipate martial law. 

Proving once again that you know absolutely nothing about U.S. politics. Or are utterly beholden to Q. 

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

I got it wrong with my conspiracy stuff and he is setting the other stuff aside to focus on the one common enemy. The markets have given their verdict whether you like Trump or not - the Dow just leapt 200 points!

19 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Proving once again that you know absolutely nothing about U.S. politics. Or are utterly beholden to Q. 

Yawn. Poor Micro. Sucks to be wrong all the time. I repeat I leave that alone for now. We are all together here. 

4 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Assume that was in jest...

If not, please remember your diving training : 

Acute oxygen poisoning would occur if you dive and breathe pure oxygen.

Well, I am a scuba diver with pretty high certifications, and unlike others I do remember my training. I also am a medical person.

Breathing 100% oxygen onland puts your O2 partial pressure at 1 (one) bar.

Partial pressures of 1.8 bar and higher are necessary to develop symptoms of acute O2 poisoning, such as convulsions.

(Otherwise ambulances would be killing heart attack, asthma, stroke, carbon monoxide patients on a regular basis by treating them with 100% O2.)

So please don't spread misinformation.

Updated on 3/13/2020. Now reflects an update on containment vs. mitigation strategies. 17 translations at the bottom. Send me more existing translations in private notes at the bottom. This article has received 21 million views in the last 48h.

I'll just leave this here because I'm going to bed now. Goodnight.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

There seems to be an idea floating around that the warmer temperatures will slow or stop the COVID-19.  

It will be interesting to see if places like the Philippines experience the same rapid rate of growth as Italy and northern Europe have, given that temperatures are a lot higher.  

The Trump press conference was more of a "go private sector" public message. It was quite surreal given the circumstances. The stream of "thank you Mr President" arse lickers would make your stomach churn.

Seriously, he LIED at a time like this! Google says it's not publishing a national-scale coronavirus site anytime soon after Trump announcement.

Google will not be publishing a national-scale website for coronavirus testing anytime soon, contrary to claims made by President Donald Trump during a Friday news conference.

Instead, a health-focused subsidiary owned by Google's parent company, Alphabet, intends to launch a small-scale website next week to begin to triage California-based patients. The website will aim to serve a broader population only "over time" -- not "very quickly," as Trump said.

"What we're building is a triage tool that will live on ProjectBaseline.com, and we plan to pilot it in California next week," said Carolyn Wang, a spokesperson for the Alphabet subsidiary, Verily.

Defend this, Trumpers.

On 09/03/2020, 18:56:19, Lorelei said:

Earlier tonight was watching a live news conference with BoJo, Chris Whitty the UK government's chief medical adviser and Sir Patrick Vallance the chief scientific adviser. Whitty was saying that anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms should self-isolate for seven days. I've been wondering how they're expecting people to obtain medical certificates for their employer. How to get one if you're not supposed to go to a GP or A&E?

Coronavirus: UK prepares to ask even mildly sick to stay home

"People will be asked self-isolate for seven days after showing mild symptoms under the new approach, the UK government's chief medical adviser Prof Chris Whitty said."

Apologies if this has already been answered as catching up on this thread. I believe that existing UK law is that you can self-certify for 5 working days, and that GP's only need to issue letters when it's more then that. So 5 working days + 2 weekends, means potentially a total of 9 days to isolate depending on when you get sick.

Certainly when I lived in the UK, if I went to the GP with something, they wouldn't issue me a letter  until the second week because "you don't need it". Now, the self-cert thing may well be why there was always an unhealthy suspicion that anyone who was off sick for less than a week was "pulling a sickie to get a free week off", which is one of the things about UK work culture that I was always comfortable with, it meant that people felt compelled to come in to work when they were coming down with things (and probably at their most contagious!)

That massive lie Trump told about the Google website even took us in. We both nodded in agreement that this sounded like a real plan. Turns out it was another Trump lie during the worst public health issue for a generation. What a piece of shit he is and all his supporters are.

4 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Interesting but at the moment no more than a correlation. The pandemic is just getting going. Qatar reported a big leap in infections. I don't see an awful lot in common between Washington State and Qatar. Personally I suspect it's just too early to see such a pattern. 

The south east Asian countries mentioned in the article experienced SARS last time and had better protocols in place for this outbreak.

U.K. authorities have abandoned efforts to contain the spread of coronavirus and will focus on delaying the worst of the outbreak, as officials said as many as 10,000 Britons may be infected....

Let the herd immunity begin.

rest

Regarding what seems to be the official advice that the general public don't need to wear face masks unless they have symptoms or are taking care of a sick relative, I was wondering why the Chinese medical experts who arrived in Italy the other day were all wearing face masks.

China sends essential coronavirus supplies to Italy

2 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

Too soon to tell. The theory says temperatures above 25ºC reduce the contamination rate as the mucous that protect our respiratory system is at full force above 25ºC. 

To be clear: high temperatures do not kill the virus! Just (potentially) decrease contamination rate. But this remains to be proven. There have been cases already in Brasil, and they are mid summer right now.

Also if this is true, it will only give us (northern hemisphere) time to find a vaccine and to prepare our hospitais before October.

South hemisphere will not have that much time.