4,957 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

5e6bd8c6b2d42_fark_i0NRWzqQMBPPHAwZmooDj

Of course, in 1918, just as up til the end of the second World War, all "peasant" life was seen as expendable.

That normal workers are considered as having the same rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a relatively new concept, dreamt up in the second half of the 20th century by the First World.  

The last time before that that normal workers were considered to be of any worth at all was, of course, in the wake of the Black Plague.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

I anticipate martial law. 

No, and for obvious reasons. Stop saying dumb things. You are not helping and you don't sound clever or in the know. You sound gullible and thirsty for attention.

the biggest diff between tropical zones and Euro/Western spring is one of population density.

In places where it's warm, people also often live close together, all year long, and temperature does little to change how close people are to one another.

In places with winter (especially in Germany, with the dreaded DRAFT), warmer temps bring more ventilation in general.  More gatherings in the open, more people riding bikes or walking as opposed to sitting in stuffy closed-up public transport, and the like.  Instead of huddled up in a cinema or cafe or bar, you have Open Air Kino, sidewalk seating, Open Air festivals, outdoor areas of clubs etc.  The main thing about increasing temps in the west will most likely have to do with ventilation and distance, above all else.

27 minutes ago, emkay said:

that increased weather temperatures are likely to reduce infection rate.

" Brazil currently has 77 confirmed diagnoses of the virus, but no reported deaths, and is monitoring more than 1,400 possible cases. On Wednesday, the governor of the Brazilian district that includes Brasilia enacted a five-day suspension of all classes, concerts and sporting events that gather more than 100 people in an effort to contain the virus’ spread. "

I don't think that the virus has a problem with somewhat higher temperatures. The HI-virus in blood samples is deactivated at temperatures between 55 and 70°C.

People should visit a sauna. The deactivation rate is higher in a mixed sauna, especially if everybody is completely naked.

9 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

the biggest diff between tropical zones and Euro/Western spring is one of population density.

In places where it's warm, people also often live close together, all year long, and temperature does little to change how close people are to one another.

In places with winter (especially in Germany, with the dreaded DRAFT), warmer temps bring more ventilation in general.  More gatherings in the open, more people riding bikes or walking as opposed to sitting in stuffy closed-up public transport, and the like.  Instead of huddled up in a cinema or cafe or bar, you have Open Air Kino, sidewalk seating, Open Air festivals, outdoor areas of clubs etc.  The main thing about increasing temps in the west will most likely have to do with ventilation and distance, above all else.

But isn't also true that viruses don't live as long on surfaces when the temperature is warmer?

It occurs to me that if warmer weather does drastically reduce the spread, we could be looking at an air-conditioning ban in summer out of fear of it re-emerging. Which will be fun if it's 36 degrees again.

1 minute ago, Dembo said:

But isn't also true that viruses don't live as long on surfaces when the temperature is warmer?

It occurs to me that if warmer weather does drastically reduce the spread, we could be looking at an air-conditioning ban in summer out of fear of it re-emerging. Which will be fun if it's 36 degrees again.

Nobody knows any of those details about coronavirus now. Especially why it doesn't effect children and other things.

7 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Hmm, I have read recently that covidwhatchacallit prefers "cooler" temperatures (unspecified in that article) and low humidity, HOWEVER!

36 is of course just about people-temperatured. 

36-38 is the PERFECT temperature for the proliferation of viruses.  It's part of why our bodies heat up to fight off infection (not forgetting general inflammation).

Just read that Switzerland has 1000 cases, 9 people died. Number 9 is a 32 year old woman.

Germany has 80 million inhabitants, Switzerland 8 million.

That's a really serious situation.

21 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Of course, in 1918, just as up til the end of the second World War, all "peasant" life was seen as expendable.

That normal workers are considered as having the same rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a relatively new concept, dreamt up in the second half of the 20th century by the First World.  

The last time before that that normal workers were considered to be of any worth at all was, of course, in the wake of the Black Plague.

Wasn´t there once some place somewhere in the Western Hemisphere which wrote some kind of blog about that? US Constitution or something? And those French people? Or whatever? I am forgetful these days.

The " peasant" comment? Wasn´t that Rowan Atkinson?

:lol:

8 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

" Brazil currently has 77 confirmed diagnoses of the virus, but no reported deaths, and is monitoring more than 1,400 possible cases. On Wednesday, the governor of the Brazilian district that includes Brasilia enacted a five-day suspension of all classes, concerts and sporting events that gather more than 100 people in an effort to contain the virus’ spread. "

I don't think that the virus has a problem with somewhat higher temperatures. The HI-virus in blood samples is deactivated at temperatures between 55 and 70°C.

People should visit a sauna. The deactivation rate is higher in a mixed sauna, especially if everybody is completely naked.

Hmm, maybe menopausal VERY hot flushes could be a natural defence and at least one positive after all?!

37 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

...The patronising disregard and smug disrespect for older people never ceases to amaze me.

Not to mention the actual Catch 22 that awaits us.

Screenshot-122.png?resize=600%2C200

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

Wasn´t there once some place somewhere in the Western Hemisphere which wrote some kind of blog about that? US Constitution or something? And those French people? Or whatever? I am forgetful these days.

The " peasant" comment? Wasn´t that Rowan Atkinson?

:lol:

You've got the wrong man, john.  The "Constitution" or "Bill of Rights" or whatever were written at a time when both my mother and I would have been considered to be 3/5 of a human being, and neither of us would have been allowed to vote.

I'm afraid I can't take anything written by the founding honkies seriously until a couple hundred years after they wrote it.  And neither, apparently, did anybody else.

Respect, dessa! I know what you mean, babe.

:(

Back in the other place...Britain...a hundred years ago, the other half..womenfolk...excluded from voting, And not so many decades before even that...most of the population didn´t have much say either.

Step by step..but not much use to those who weren´t step by step then. 

Even the Swiss with their referenda didn´t allow women to vote till..what was it? 1970 or so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_suffrage_in_Switzerland

1971! And one place even 1991! Fucking 1991!

Remember this by John Lennon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5RuCEhHcG4

59 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Just reading that Stuttgart's closed not only schools, but clubs, cinemas, bars, museums, libraries, The Planeterium, and also banned all forms of prostitution (was it legal before? I don't know what the situation is here). I've been having private lessons at a language school (in German not sex), but I imagine that will also have to be cancelled. 

It must be rough for the girls in the Dreifarbenhaus.

28 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

You've got the wrong man, john.  The "Constitution" or "Bill of Rights" or whatever were written at a time when both my mother and I would have been considered to be 3/5 of a human being, and neither of us would have been allowed to vote.

You may also be interested to know, that those upstart so called "women" were only actually allowed to take Oxford Cambridge degrees by the 1930s!

43 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

tomorrow is fkk day at my local sauna - fkk meaning the whole place is going nekkid including the pool

I'm not afraid to go in the sauna at this time as yeah - with that heat?  forget about it.  no worries.  The pool and everywhere outside the sauna itself...different story  

8 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I'm not afraid to go in the sauna at this time as yeah - with that heat?  forget about it.  no worries.  The pool and everywhere outside the sauna itself...different story  

Jealous. I miss my winter sauna to kill off the bugs.