5,147 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

Yes, I know. Nothing wrong with that. But it won´t solve the dilemma that you can´t keep kids and parents at home forever.

But who said "forever"?

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

But who said "forever"?

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

But who said "forever"?

Okay, replace forever by "until there is no risk of infection anymore".

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

Like how or what?

Like doing what I suggested above: getting them immunised by infection (which will probably happen anyway) so that they can go to school again and won´t infect the vulnerable.

9 minutes ago, jeba said:

Like doing what I suggested above: getting them immunised by infection (which will probably happen anyway) so that they can go to school again and won´t infect the vulnerable.

What about the teachers? !?!?!?!?

Rheinland-Pfalz schools will close on Monday.  No word yet on how long the closure will last.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Secondary schools to start with, then primary and KITAs gradually.

https://www.rbb24.de/politik/thema/2020/coronavirus/beitraege/berlin-schliesst-schulen-und-kitas-ab-montag.html

Not exactly. Oberstufenzentren are the vocational schools. They'll be closing Monday.

According to current information, for some inexplicable reason, Berlin's kitas, elementary schools, and high schools will be closed starting Tuesday and remain closed until the end of the Easter vacation.

The information from school senator Scheeres seems highly confusing and uncoordinated, so everything is still subject to change.

6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

What about the teachers? !?!?!?!?

I believe you mean 'highly qualified Tagesmutter´:D

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I missed that detail. I bet it will change soon.

Just received an email form the school.   In Berlin primary schools will be closed from Wednesday.   

17 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Not exactly. Oberstufenzentren are the vocational schools. They'll be closing Monday.

According to current information, for some inexplicable reason, Berlin's kitas, elementary schools, and high schools will be closed starting Tuesday and remain closed until the end of the Easter vacation.

The information from school senator Scheeres seems highly confusing and uncoordinated, so everything is still subject to change.

Thst gives the virus 3 more full days to spread. Insane.

"What a difference 3 days make, 72 little hours"

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

43 minutes ago, jeba said:

You first.

8 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Just received an email form the school.   In Berlin primary schools will be closed from Wednesday.   

What is anybody going to do if you keep them at home from Monday?

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

What is anybody going to do if you keep them at home from Monday?

I guess find a solution based on family, friends and neighbors.

I could take care of one or two extra kids but I might be picky about which ones.   Last time we took care of a kid for four days because they had a family emergency one of the parents complained to me about what the kid watched on Netflix.   He disagreed with our policy that at that age the kid should decide by himself based on a set of rules defined by the parents and criticized us for raising our kids in that irresponsible way.

From what i have been told, Monday classes in Berlin for the older kids will be an orientation about online instruction.   

Roll Up! Latest attraction:

Jeba's Covid-19 Kinder Parties!  See the clown, eat the cake and watch the virus spread!

Just catching up with this thread -- I read the beginning and then from page 40 onwards. Collected comments:

On 3/10/2020, 9:09:25, emkay said:

Maybe TT ex smokers can share what worked for them. 

Off topic, but here's my son's experience: Alan Carr's Easy Way worked for him for several weeks but then he started again.

He went to a hypnotist in Heidelberg and she was fantastic. Again, he stopped smoking for many weeks, but started again.

He has been to two Irish hypnotists. One was hopeless. The second one, in Dublin, was more experienced, more expensive, but he can return unlimited times.

He's still hopeful, and so are we all.

On 3/10/2020, 3:05:06, Metall said:

Have them fax it! Germans love this machine! :D

Also off-topic:

When I worked at the hospital the fax machine was in constant use. It's far more convenient than email for many reasons, especially if you have international affairs (NOT love affairs!) to bother with. I still use fax all the time, but through an online service, fax.to.

On 3/11/2020, 3:19:52, murphaph said:

First death in Ireland with 50 recorded cases. 2% death rate with zero strain on the system. I wouldn't fancy my chances in two weeks.

On 3/12/2020, 11:30:29, murphaph said:

Taoiseach has just announced that from tomorrow schools, third level education institutions will close in Ireland.

Also day care facilities and public funded cultural centres.

This site gives up-to-date info on new cases in Ireland, where they are and how the patients caught the virus.

March 12

27 new cases confirmed bringing total to 70

27 new cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed.

The new cases are made up of:

• 22 cases associated with contact with already confirmed cases
  • 2 cases associated with community transmission
  • 3 cases associated with travel

•  

The total number of cases in Ireland is 70.

I welcome Ireland's response and hopefully they can contain it. There is no panic where I live, near the border to NI, and no cases around here apparently, yet still all the schools have closed down, a private leisure centre I attend has cancelled all group activities, and a  publicly funded artist retreat centre nearby has closed until the end of March. Supermarkets are well stocked with food and up to a few days ago there was plenty of toilet paper. However, this morning Lidl had no TP.

I've anyway gone off TP. I'me going the Asian way, using water; India and co are far ahead of Europe, with their water sprays. If I ever own a home in Europe again I shall have them installed in all my loos. In the meantime, I've started using a hand-held bidet. You feel so much cleaner than with TP. (It says kid's arse, but works fine for adults too.)  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gogogo-Portable-Handheld-Personal-Bathroom/dp/B078N72TH9/ref=pd_di_sccai_4/260-7794093-7037861?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078N72TH9&pd_rd_r=46ad7e8e-726a-4a05-af4c-be06650ad045&pd_rd_w=c0RlT&pd_rd_wg=BzQo9&pf_rd_p=bee783d4-0910-430a-8054-14da33db5765&pf_rd_r=YQGB9Z8NZE7ZR41WC16R&psc=1&refRID=YQGB9Z8NZE7ZR41WC16R

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

Whoever was wondering about the age for staying at home alone - our kids have just come home, and their school is providing Betreuung up to Klasse 8 - so presumably after that you're on your own.

My rough guess is that I can keep a 6 year old at home for 30 minutes alone and a 12 year old for as long as required.

This is being conservative. When I was 12, I would take a train and go shopping for electronic components 30km away from home! But the new "ice tea" generation needs more nurturing.

I have the impression that around here 8 or 9 might be more the socially approved-of age for leaving them alone for up to an hour or two, under that, not at all.  I agree with 12 for as long as required as long as it's not the whole night.