4,941 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, French bean said:

Taoiseach has just announced that from tomorrow schools, third level education institutions will close in Ireland.

4 hours ago, NativeFraulein said:

Exactly this, there's a chance I am already carrying the virus latently and nothing will come of it. However, what about DD's  70 year old Oma who is with us at least twice a week and takes care of DD while I am at work.

In the words of the controller on my super packed train last Friday: "Well if one person has Corona here...we all got it now."

If the schools are closed, you can look after DD yourself. The daughter of my friend in Italy receives school lessons via Skype.

4 hours ago, NativeFraulein said:

Good Morning,

I realise this thread  is a humourous take on what is probably overblown hysteria...

I am the parent of a very small child. I am also a teacher and have a long commute to work in a large city in NRW. I am becoming increasingly worried about the chances of  contracting the virus via my long and crowded train commute. It seems to be business as usual on the trains and the trams. Are there protective measures behind the scenes? My students all take some form of public transport to school and a signifigant portion of them are from Italy.

We have taken all the reccomended protective measures at my school---there's sanitizer everywhere, but now it simply doesn't seem like enough.

What are your thoughts as parents and commuters?

I have been wondering about that too and am surprised that nothing more seems to be being done at present to discourage people from using public transport, e.g. by allowing public transport commuters to telework or study from home where feasible. It's impossible to maintain the recommended two-metre distance from other public transport users and we have no idea where other people have been or who they've been in contact with. I suppose all we can do for the time being is try to maintain proper hygiene and follow whatever guidance the powers that be decide on.

@NativeFraulein

@Lorelei

I am taking and picking up my kids from school since Monday because it is not close to our place and I don't want them to take the S-Bahn..  So far the school has only reminded us that sending the kids to school is still mandatory until somebody (the man) decides something else.

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

Really...?!?! 

Boris Johnson says he WON'T ban mass gatherings or close schools in fight against coronavirus as health experts say government plan is to LET the disease spread slowly through UK so country gets 'herd immunity'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8103651/Pressure-mounts-Boris-Johnson-ramp-Britains-coronavirus-action.html

At least we will have a reference model about what happen in a developed country if you do nothing. (Thinking strictly as an engineer).

6 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

This guy has sound analysis:

I watched two or three of this guy's first videos concerning this and was a bit put off.  It felt to me to be a money making scheme.  I don't want to vilify, and I will now, as time allows, go back and rewatch, but perhaps some caution is in order.

2 minutes ago, LostInEurope01 said:

I watched two or three of this guy's first videos concerning this and was a bit put off.  It felt to me to be a money making scheme.  I don't want to vilify, and I will now, as time allows, go back and rewatch, but perhaps some caution is in order.

The video is too long (40 minutes) and it is posted by J2 so I pass.   But could you elaborate in why do you think it is a money making scheme?  Do you mean the videos themselves?   YouTube demonetized all COVID-19 related videos long time ago.  Or it is about what he is proposing?  Would you care to write a few sentences about it?  Thanks.

Just now, Krieg said:

The video is too long (40 minutes) and it is posted by J2 so I pass.   But could you elaborate in why do you think it is a money making scheme?  Do you mean the videos themselves?   YouTube demonetized all COVID-19 related videos long time ago.  Or it is about what he is proposing?  Would you care to write a few sentences about it?  Thanks.

It has been several weeks, but I'll try.  Toward the end of the videos that I had seen, the person started talking about investment chances and how this "new situation" will open some and close many.  As it started sounding like a sales pitch, I tuned out and have since avoided those videos.  But like I said, it has been several weeks so I don't wish to be too negative until I have confirmed what I believe to have understood.

17 minutes ago, Krieg said:

@NativeFraulein

@Lorelei

I am taking and picking up my kids from school since Monday because it is not close to our place and I don't want them to take the S-Bahn..  So far the school has only reminded us that sending the kids to school is still mandatory until somebody (the man) decides something else.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

We're seriously considering just keeping our son home next week with "sniffles" while the federal government gets its arse in gear and orders a nationwide closure for a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

We're seriously considering just keeping our son home next week with "sniffles" while the federal government gets its arse in gear and orders a nationwide closure for a few weeks.

Universities in Berlin will continue closed until the 20th of April.  I expect schools to be closed from next week, but if not we might follow the same path.   The problem is after 3 days we have to produce an MC and it will be complicated with 2 kids that are healthy, we will see how flexible our pediatrician is, he is not German.

The rules for employees have been relaxed from 3 days to 7 without a sick note. Surely this would apply to school kids too. Anyway, what are they going to do when this thing turns out to have been a government mistake to wait so long?

26 minutes ago, LostInEurope01 said:

The analysis is far from a "money making scheme". Even I haven't got all way through yet. However the biggest takeaway is this quote by Albert Bartlett: 

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function."

From his 1969 lecture:

https://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy.html

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-09-15/albert-bartlett-on-message-about-exponential-growth-to-the-end/

I think the German govt is heading for disaster just as Italy did, only two weeks afterwards. Could be wrong but we may yet see quarantines. if so get prepped! I already have tons of toilet paper (of course), flour, water, pasta, juice. I also have thought of energy supply - gas cooking with bottles. Firewood ordered. All this gets stored anyway and used so it's just precautionary. 

I'm not expecting the apocalypse as most people have mild symptoms and will be working in the supply chains. Might be a few shortages here and there but nobody will starve.

It's the vulnerable portion of the population we all need to protect now. I wonder will the anti vaxxers make a point of visiting as many elderly relatives as possible?!

41 minutes ago, LostInEurope01 said:

32 minutes ago, LostInEurope01 said:

It has been several weeks, but I'll try.  Toward the end of the videos that I had seen, the person started talking about investment chances and how this "new situation" will open some and close many.  As it started sounding like a sales pitch, I tuned out and have since avoided those videos.  But like I said, it has been several weeks so I don't wish to be too negative until I have confirmed what I believe to have understood.

All bullshit. Maybe next someone makes a youtube video saying that is has been raining a lot because of umbrella manufacturers.

5 hours ago, balticus said:

You are obsessed with Trump.  No vaccine for that yet.  

5e6a395304ec9_fark_eBh8wh3ASAzZ43S4m61hA

The last part "Stock Market starting to look very good to me!" shows where his priorities lie.