5,147 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, we´re told they are useless in protecting yourself - which is correct. They´re not useless though in preventing you from infecting others if you´re infected.

Yes, but the result is that no one is wearing masks because that half truth.

13 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

Good Morning,

I realise this thread  is a humourous take on what is probably overblown hysteria...

I am the parent of a very small child. I am also a teacher and have a long commute to work in a large city in NRW. I am becoming increasingly worried about the chances of  contracting the virus via my long and crowded train commute. It seems to be business as usual on the trains and the trams. Are there protective measures behind the scenes? My students all take some form of public transport to school and a signifigant portion of them are from Italy.

We have taken all the reccomended protective measures at my school---there's sanitizer everywhere, but now it simply doesn't seem like enough.

What are your thoughts as parents and commuters?

your kids are in a very very low risk group, from the stats on deaths, no real reasojn to worry

you do not give your age on your profile, but I guess if you are a parent with kids at school you are 30's maybe 40's - which is also in a low risk age group.

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

but the list only has 6 or 7 countries, last time I checked there more than 200 countires in the world

where is their a compresensive list ? that can be used to anaylise  the data ?

I know you have difficulties reading graphs, but it clearly says it shows only after they reach 100 infected patients.   Because the initial infection process varies a lot depending on different circumstances.

1 minute ago, yesterday said:

your kids are in a very very low risk group, from the stats on deaths, no real reasojn to worry

true, but that doesn´t mean they can´t become vectors and pass it on to e. g. their grandparents.

11 minutes ago, balticus said:

You are obsessed with Trump.  No vaccine for that yet.  

Some Americans are now going to pay with their lives for electing the buffoon.

10 minutes ago, balticus said:

You are obsessed with Trump.  No vaccine for that yet.  

Well, he is the guy who fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018. And who has appointed barely competent to completely incompetent people to all major government posts. And who repeatedly insisted that the virus was a "hoax" to make him look bad.

And you're the one who insists on carrying water for him all the time. Hope you have it disinfected - he seems to have a lot of contact with infected people.

One plus is that Trump himself may well succumb to this. Pence too. He'll try to pray it away.

1 minute ago, jeba said:

true, but that doesn´t mean they can´t become vectors and pass it on to e. g. their grandparents.

the OP asked only about dangers for herself and her child I answered that, you answered a question she did not ask

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I know you have difficulties reading graphs, but it clearly says it shows only after they reach 100 infected patients.   Because the initial infection process varies a lot depending on different circumstances.

Sure, but I know from personal experance that many counties are not report COVID-19 related deaths, by not testing, to protect their tourist industry - Counties that depend on tourists are not reporting enough deaths/infections not to put of their income source.

Not sure if this has already been discussed here....what happens if an employer reduces employees hours to minimize their losses?  Is there any financial support for those employees? I heard that the UK were proposing that in such a situation, the government will fund the employer so that employees are still paid their full salary. 

Banning people who have been in Schengen difficult to police.    EU citizens have freedom of movement to UK and Ireland.  No paperwork or stamps in passports showing history of travel.   IHeathrow could get busy.

1 minute ago, emkay said:

Not sure if this has already been discussed here...what happens if an employer reduces employees hours to minimize their losses?  Is there any financial support for those employees? I heard that the UK were proposing that in such a situation, the government will fund the employer so that employees are still paid their full salary. 

Germany implemented Kurzarbeitergeld in response to the 2008 financial crisis. The program is still active. IIRC it's what the UK model is (roughly) based on.

3 minutes ago, jeba said:

Exactly this, there's a chance I am already carrying the virus latently and nothing will come of it. However, what about DD's  70 year old Oma who is with us at least twice a week and takes care of DD while I am at work.

In the words of the controller on my super packed train last Friday: "Well if one person has Corona here...we all got it now."

1 minute ago, emkay said:

Not sure if this has already been discussed here...what happens if an employer reduces employees hours to minimize their losses?  Is there any financial support for those employees? I heard that the UK were proposing that in such a situation, the government will fund the employer so that employees are still paid their full salary. 

Check the Infektionsschutzgesetz, the government will help to cover the salaries.   Not sure if partially of fully though.