5,125 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, jeba said:

Travel ban for Europeans into the US

Strange thing is that the UK are excluded.

That's because COVID-19 speaks English and we can reason with it. Maybe give it some massive tax breaks as a bribe to leave the US alone.

Has the supply of facemasks in Germany caught up meanwhile? When will there be enough of them to make it mandatory to wear them in public? Shouldn´t that be a priority to reduce the risk of spreding the virus? There was a case study in China which showed that a single infectious patient infected 10 other passengers during a bus ride. That kind of risk should be avoidable (or massivley reduced at least) by making wearing masks mandatory. Or at least wearing a burka / hijab if there aren´t enough facemasks. Would still be better than nothing.

8 hours ago, murphaph said:

Jesus look at the trajectory the US is on:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES26LuxU8AEl1nm?format=jpg&name=medium

The trajectory is a mess because Trump and team have failed so horribly on testing. The slope would be more gradual if cases had been counted in real time. However, we will have a problem because too many Americans will not self-segregate because of "muh freedumbs".

Can't stand it when someone insults your orange emperor-god, SA? Tough shit.

Trump didn't cause the Coronavirus, but he's done everything he can to botch the U.S. response - from insisting it was all a "Democrat hoax" to make him look bad to claiming the 15 cases (at the time) would just disappear - or, alternatively, that the problem would fix itself by spring, just like the cold season. They've known about the virus spreading since January, but did nothing. There's still no systematic testing and all the transmissions are now "community". There's no hope of containing it at all now, short of a total lockdown that will severely impinge on Mur'can Freedumbs.

He owns this. And you own him.

14 minutes ago, balticus said:

Disgusting.  🤮

Take the political posts to the Trump thread.

That post is about epidemiology. Read it again. Maybe grab a dictionary to help.

@El Jeffo You left off screwing up the infection graph trajectory by trying to exclude Americans in US ports on cruise ships until somebody told him he can't keep citizens out of the country like that. Nope, the messed up graph trajectory is on him.

9 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@El Jeffo You left off screwing up the infection graph trajectory by trying to exclude Americans in US ports on cruise ships until somebody told him he can't keep citizens out of the country like that. Nope, the messed up graph trajectory is on him.

I know. He liked the numbers where they were. He specifically said if they let the people off, the numbers would go up, and it wouldn't be his fault.

He also blamed the EU for spreading the virus in the US - when he was announcing the travel ban - because the EU didn't take the bold steps in shutting down travel to China and building a wall with Mexico that Trump did.

We've gone from "The Buck Stops Here" to "It's Not My Fault", thanks to President* Whiny J. Tittybaby.

All this generating graphs of confirmed cases and death is useless.

Until we know how many tests have been performed and what percentage of the public has been tested. Also it it need to be broken down to affected regions.  

This data is just not avaiable, so nothing really can be gleaned from just looking at the number of contained cases.

Read  https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing-10march

The UK has tested 25 times the number the US has, but the US population is very large in comparison to the UK.  

I can find no comprehensive figures for the number of tests performed 

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Strange thing is that the UK are excluded.

Trump heard the UK left Europe, so they're cool now.

In 12 days Trump went from "it's a hoax" to banning travel from Schengen. 

Twelve👏days👏

15 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I can find no comprehensive figures for the number of tests performed 

How do you know then that the UK tested 25 times the number the US has?

13 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Trump heard the UK left Europe, so they're cool now.

Ireland also okay as only Shengen EU countries affected.   Trump has 3 golf courses in the  EU.  One in Scotland, two in Ireland. ...

Good Morning,

I realise this thread  is a humourous take on what is probably overblown hysteria...

I am the parent of a very small child. I am also a teacher and have a long commute to work in a large city in NRW. I am becoming increasingly worried about the chances of  contracting the virus via my long and crowded train commute. It seems to be business as usual on the trains and the trams. Are there protective measures behind the scenes? My students all take some form of public transport to school and a signifigant portion of them are from Italy.

We have taken all the reccomended protective measures at my school---there's sanitizer everywhere, but now it simply doesn't seem like enough.

What are your thoughts as parents and commuters?

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Has the supply of facemasks in Germany caught up meanwhile? When will there be enough of them to make it mandatory to wear them in public? Shouldn´t that be a priority to reduce the risk of spreding the virus? There was a case study in China which showed that a single infectious patient infected 10 other passengers during a bus ride. That kind of risk should be avoidable (or massivley reduced at least) by making wearing masks mandatory. Or at least wearing a burka / hijab if there aren´t enough facemasks. Would still be better than nothing.

China has kept their mandatory mask wearing policy in the affected areas, their reason?  You do not show symptoms until it is too late, so you could roam around infecting other people.  The masks, while not fully safe at least reduce the spreading.

While in the western world they keep telling us how the masks are useless and they should be used only by medical care and by infected ones.  The infected ones when it is already too late.

So one of them is probably wrong.   I of course do not know which one.   But If China is the one doing it well I would tend to think they are the correct ones.

If it is like that, then I suspect they are telling us we don't need masks because there are not enough masks and people would panic.

P.S. Facial recognition payments are pretty popular in China nowadays, basically you pay with your face.   But masks were disturbing the facial recognition, but they are now rolling out new face recognition algorithms that work with the masks.  Of course the facial recognition is used for other (control) things.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Can't stand it when someone insults your orange emperor-god, SA? 

He owns this. And you own him.

You are obsessed with Trump.  No vaccine for that yet.  

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

While in the western world they keep telling us how the masks are useless

No, we´re told they are useless in protecting yourself - which is correct. They´re not useless though in preventing you from infecting others if you´re infected.

9 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@yesterday Your own link contradicts you.

There is a graph with numbers of reported tests.

but the list only has 6 or 7 countries, last time I checked there more than 200 countires in the world

where is their a compresensive list ? that can be used to anaylise  the data ?

13 minutes ago, jeba said:

How do you know then that the UK tested 25 times the number the US has?

sorry - 

re-read 25 times from South koria to US

UK tests about 3 times the number of the US