9,791 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, optimista said:

What did they do in the 70s before the advent of mass tourism?

So mass tourism started in the 80's then. 

WTF?

40 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Optimista perhaps? 

I won't judge you when you do. We're just making it sooner, but still in accordance with all the regulations in force :-)

Oooh, defensive.

So did you and yours have the virus?

Seem to remember those hotels in Benidorm going up in the 70s. Before that it was Franco. You didn't get in. Or out. On any sort of a scale at least.

1 minute ago, optimista said:

Oooh, defensive.

I am defensive as you are being offensive ;-) Out of a combination of being very careful and lucky we managed to evade the virus and made it to vaccination. What difference that makes I don't know.

4 minutes ago, murphaph said:

What difference that makes I don't know.

I do. If you had it, you'd know too..

Why is offensive to say you wish people would just stay home ? For a while...

Do you know anyone who was in hospital? And didn't come out?

The question is what is 'a while'?

After vaccination, particularly. 

I don't have the answer and am in no rush to go anywhere.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

Oooh, defensive.

I think you are taking cheap shots.  People in my family in 🇦🇲 had the virus, and they are resuming normal lives with appropriate caution.  There are no vaccines to be had there, but fortunately the country is doing well and even 🇩🇪 has removed it from the risk list.  

Yes indeed. What is a while? But if the tourists are flocking to Portugal and they are locking down in Lisbon again... I guess it's still too early to have a party.

Just now, BethAnnBitt said:

I think you are taking cheap shots.

No, I really think people STILL DON'T GET IT until their lungs stop working.

Holidays are really NICE TO HAVE but UNNECESSARY.

I'm glad your family members recovered.

9 minutes ago, optimista said:

9 minutes ago, optimista said:

Jesus, do you still use your car? Do you fly? Do you do BBQ or have a campfire? People die because of the air pollution. People have asthma made worse by pollution. Best to stay home forever or you end up killing people.

13 minutes ago, optimista said:

Resentment is taking poison and waiting for the other person to die.  

I am meeting family members at a carefully vetted holiday destination because that’s literally the only way to meet them.

🙏  Wishing you peace.

Still, I can see the point optimista--having had it already, and afaik still not fully recovered, although it has been (over?) a year--wants to make, namely,  that no vacation is worth risking corona transmission, even if one survives.

She's not the first survivor I have heard talk this way.  I think a lot of us don't get it because we haven't been there.  From what I can gather, nothing is worth risking it.  Not even vacation.  Or unnecessary international travel.

I'm not travelling either.  I'm not mad at people who do, but it's not for me, not right now.  And I completely take the point of survivors.  They are very careful even though they have already had it, why?  Because it's not impossible to catch it again, and, unlike us, they know what it is or can be like, and that nothing is worth going through it a second time.

This reminds me about the early days when certain people on here were saying that lockdowns were so detrimental to people's mental health and some were actually taking their own lives.

Fast forward to now when I read a story almost daily about long haulers committing suicide because they just can't take it any more.

Just an observation.

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

reminds me about the early days when certain people on here were saying that lockdowns were so detrimental to people's mental health 

What’s frustrating is that optimizing mental health isn’t a “one size fits all“ goal.  There are people within all age groups who have simply lost the options they needed.  😕  That’s a real tragedy.

8 hours ago, yesterday said:

What I find crazy, it that Portugal/spain etc, are happy for UK tourists to visit

Replace happy with desperate.

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

isn't that the same thing in this situation

yerrrrrr probably.

But they´re only happy because they´re desperate.Once the Brits get over there they´ll be complaining about drunkenness etc and wanting them to go home.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Fast forward to now when I read a story almost daily about long haulers committing suicide because they just can't take it any more.

Yer but that´s their own fault because they´re fat and have a vitamin D deficiency.

Or so I´ve heard.

Anyway as we´ve been told Long Covid doesn´t exist because no proper studies have been done on it.

I had a friend who died from the coronavirus. It was terrible. She had underlying health conditions, plus a terminal illness. The suffering she went through was just horrid. It made me angry that when the virus first broke out that they had not stopped flights from China, that they had not encouraged people to wear masks.

Many industries are suffering because of the lockdowns, it has caused much devastation and pain this virus, plus the consequences of what has happened, like a domino effect.

Praise be for the internet, imagine all this without the internet? Especially for the younger generations!

My faith lies with science. They have quickly developed a vaccine and they are still developing it. It will probably be like the flu shot, that once a year there will have to be a booster to protect against the variants. Vaccines manage to eradicate smallpox, and prevent horrible childhood diseases like polio and diptheria.

We all saw what happened when the Anti-Vax people waged war upon the MMR vaccine with devastating consequences. The research was then found to be fraudelent (see link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

What all this has shown me is that people are still the same, you can control them with propaganda and fear. That the very things that make us human are still sorely lacking, such as compassion and empathy.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

... the very things that make us human are still sorely lacking, such as compassion and empathy.

Yes. This is what it comes down to. First the money... without which one cannot do much, admittedly. It's always about the individual. Think we have totally lost the "herd" mentality. For better or worse.