9,854 posts in this topic

What I find crazy, it that Portugal/spain etc, are happy for UK tourists to visit, maybe bringing the D variant with them, this will surly lead to more infections in Portugal etc. It seems its the UK, quantine rules that is slowing tourist going from the UK to Portugal, not Portugal limiting UK tourist.

This may ( probably ) lead to much higher numbers of the D variant later in the summer in Portugal, seems like Portugal is taking a risk to get a short term reward.

I know people in Portugal and that's pretty much what they said.  That is, they've endured lockdown and levels are down but with the tourists, they will go back up.  They are not in priority groups but did get their first shot on Monday.

21 minutes ago, LeonG said:

... they've endured lockdown and levels are down but with the tourists, they will go back up.

'Tis all about the money, isn't it?

Why can people just not forego their eFFing holidays ?

So stoopid. So selfish.

2 minutes ago, optimista said:

Because people are inherently selfish. Individual human beings can be self-sacrificing and altruistic and work for the common good, but people, as a mass, are egotistical, selfish hoarders of what they consider the good things.

Unless they are educated out of it. Think they should get the Quakers on the job.

14 minutes ago, optimista said:

So stoopid. So selfish.

We'll both be fully vaccinated by the time we are due to fly. If we can't start opening up thanks to vaccination then we may as well turn off the lights on the global economy now. We've observed the lockdowns and all the other regulations pretty religiously. The travel advice when we booked was positive wrt Portugal. The EU digital certificate is being issued by both Germany and Portugal. I'm sorry we didn't predict this uptick in infections in the Lisbon area. Should I second guess everything in case another variant crops up? What if Covid variants never go away (quite likely scenario)? Should people never travel to any country where there are diseases in circulation that are not in circulation at home? (Malaria, for example), or is it just Covid we should worry about?

I'm not a Querdenker anti-vaxxer twat. But I do expect vaccination to yield practical results for society, including the ability to travel.

Hmmm... You know that vaccination is not 100% effective - far from it - and that the variants are dodging it as best they can. Nothing is permanent. Including our lives. And holiday plans. And protection provided by vaccines. Can people simply not postpone their holidays for... say, a year or even two... ? ... until we know more. Pandemics have historically taken years, if not decades to go the rounds. Now, with the globe-trotters a-trotting it is round the world in 80 days. I really wish that would stop. At least for the pleasure seekers bored with their own wallpaper.

9 minutes ago, optimista said:

Hmmm... You know that vaccination is not 100% effective - far from it - and that the variants are dodging it as best they can. Nothing is permanent. Including our lives. And holiday plans. And protection provided by vaccines. Can people simply not postpone their holidays for... say, a year or even two... ? ... until we know more. Pandemics have historically taken years, if not decades to go the rounds. Now, with the globe-trotters a-trotting it is round the world in 80 days. I really wish that would stop. At least for the pleasure seekers bored with their own wallpaper.

You're free to stay at home for the next two years :-) There won't be any hotels or airlines left in 2 years if everyone sat at home. Vaccination is not 100% effective for any disease. Do you stay at home in case you catch measles in your local Lidl or hope that due to vaccination it's probably unlikely?

38 minutes ago, optimista said:

Can people simply not postpone their holidays for... say, a year or even two... ? ... until we know more. Pandemics have historically taken years, if not decades to go the rounds.

The year was last year.  Even two would be postponing it this year too.  Postponing for multiple years or even decades is not really on for most people.  My mom is 87 and I'd like to see her this year.  

I never consider visiting family as a holiday. Especially when my parents were old and I went over to care for them for 4 wks. at a time in order to give my sister a break. Two and a half years now and counting since I've been home. I'm not booking either because I still don't feel comfortable enough to fly.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Nothing is permanent. Including our lives. 

This is why many people who have behaved responsibly and are now vaccinated, like us, are going to visit family.  We head to Corfu 🇬🇷 in 2 weeks, with one family member from the US meeting us, and the son, DIL, and grandchildren heading there from 🇦🇲.  

Well, I guess Spain and other countries will eventually face the same until August. It's a lottery.

We are flying there in the summer, we will do 1 week of beach holidays, but as we are unsure where and when, we will only book it at the last minute. Maybe Madeira or Algarve.

We have beach in our home town, but we want a super relaxing beach-hotel for 1 week.

1 minute ago, BethAnnBitt said:

This is why many people who have acted safely, and are now vaccinated, like us, are going to visit family.

If I had a functioning immune system, I would do the same.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Do you stay at home in case you catch measles in your local Lidl or hope that due to vaccination it's probably unlikely?

I suspect you and yours haven't had the long, bad version of covid. :rolleyes:

We can always justify why in our special case it's ok to travel. I guess when the time comes I will do the same. :lol:

I just think a tiny, weensy bit more self restraint would not go amiss.

Yeah, the economy. Convenient argument. Can't dispute it. What did they do in the 70s before the advent of mass tourism? The Brits went for a week to the seaside. They got free use of the cruet as I remember and spent their money at home. Keeping it in the family so to speak. I am a bit surprised there have been no murmurings from the Bank of England along those lines. All those pounds sterling feeding into Spain. Draining out of Britain. Hmmm. Is that why Boris is making it so difficult for Brits to go to Mallorca? Maybe he has more about him than we thought.

1 hour ago, Metall said:

Lisbon is going on lockdown.

Are we surprised? If so, why?

16 minutes ago, optimista said:

I suspect you and yours haven't had the long, bad version of covid. :rolleyes:

We can always justify why in our special case it's ok to travel. I guess when the time comes I will do the same. :lol:

I just think a tiny, weensy bit more self restraint would not go amiss.

Yeah, the economy. Convenient argument. Can't dispute it. What did they do in the 70s before the advent of mass tourism? The Brits went for a week to the seaside. They got free use of the cruet as I remember and spent their money at home. Keeping it in the family so to speak. I am a bit surprised there have been no murmurings from the Bank of England along those lines. All those pounds sterling feeding into Spain. Draining out of Britain. Hmmm. Is that why Boris is making it so difficult for Brits to go to Mallorca? Maybe he has more about him than we thought.

The virus will never go away. It will continue to mutate forever now. There are enough idiots who won't allow themselves to be vaccinated to ensure that. So who gets to say when we can travel again? Optimista perhaps? Or perhaps the governments of the countries we wish to travel to? We've been under restrictions for a year and a half now. I'd call that fairly self restrained. Now we are vaccinated and will be fully vaccinated (I understand this means we might still be susceptible, just like I might be susceptible to measles despite being vaccinated, but we will continue taking sensible precautions like mask wearing, keeping our distance and regular hand washing) by the time we travel.

Portugal says we can come. Germany says we can come back and will only face a mandatory quarantine if we have been in an area of a variant of concern which Lisbon is not yet and may not be. If we weren't vaccinated we wouldn't travel. If you are waiting for a green flag from some authority like the WHO to say "pandemic over", you will probably never get it but as you admit above, you will make the call yourself in that case and I won't judge you when you do. We're just making it sooner, but still in accordance with all the regulations in force :-)