9,819 posts in this topic

I didn't even know they lifted it.  I was downtown today and everybody wearing their masks.  Went to check after seeing it on here and found now that we are under the incidence rate of 35 they are not requiring masks downtown anymore.

I'm afraid they have lifted the mask requirement in Brandenburg primary schools already. Kids didn't have to have one on this morning. I also feel they should have left that alone. Summer holidays start in a couple of weeks. Should not be lifting any indoor mask requirements just yet. Soon, but not yet. 

The UK has a more distinct lead in terms of people fully vaccinated and the delta variant is much better able to infect those with only partial vaccination. Only a quarter of the population here is fully vaccinated.

There is a good scientific argument to maintaining the mask regulations indoors until we have reached herd immunity. It's purely political in an election year to be easing off now.

I much prefer stuff to be open and have to wear a mask indoors than to be back in some form of lockdown.

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

Listening to the radio in the car today it did seem as though they are on your page, Krieg, and the 'lifting' of the Maskenpflicht is only for outside, in some circumstances. I hope it stays that way for a good long time.

That has happened already, some states already relaxed the rules since this week.

What I am talking a out is the discussions to lift the measures completely and very soon.

Sorry for the bad formatting, I am on the phone and the website software sucks on mobile.

22 hours ago, snowingagain said:

But with your yellow Impfpass you will be able to get a paper equivalent of the online thing,   Official European approved with QR code.  

Well, my cynicism came out on top.

I got the codes (EU certificates) from the Apotheke   as I reported above

But as I am to travel to France this week, I installed the French Covid App as recommended by the 

FR Government website.

Tried to load the German (EU !) certificates into the French app and

Guess what?

Wrong format - please try again...

8 out of 10 for effort   (they call them EU certificates and they are certainly easy to obtain)

5 out of 10 for results  (run on the German app - not on French app)

Anyone else tried DE Certs in non DE apps?

48 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

But as I am to travel to France this week, I installed the French Covid App as recommended by the 

FR Government website.

If you can't find a suitable app that will work with the Apotheke certificates, can you carry the paper form with you as proof of vaccination in France?

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

FR Government website.

Ursula just said today that a single app should work in all Europe. But... not to scan the data! Just at airport!

14 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Ursula just said today that a single app should work in all Europe. But... not to scan the data! Just at airport!

Your app also generates a QR code that other people can scan so as long as that works everywhere it might be ok.

I thought they might bring out an EU standard app to scan the paper cert into. The paper cert is surely good enough to travel on but it's clearly not as robust as one stored on the phone. 

Seems Portugal, especially Lisbon area, is starting to see the exponential rise of the Delta variant. Authorities don't want to go back to lockdown, event the idiot president of the country says going back "not on my watch".

Germany seems OK for now, my guess is that when Delta becomes dominant, we will be close to herd immunity. But in Portugal my guess is that the next 4-5 weeks will see a rise of cases. Still think things will be controlled by August.

Just a general security comment in respect to the online vaccination certification. For sure a paper document can be lost or destroyed by fire for example but that same document on a smartphone can be hacked, accidentally deleted, become incompatible, may not be accessible due to lack of signal or run out of power, to name but a few and of course it can still be lost and destroyed by fire! I am really not sure why having a smartphone proves identity or is considered safe storage.

I guess we will have to make a call about it a bit closer to the time. We can cancel everything without any penalty up to mid July.

Somebody was asking up thread about using the digital certificate in paper form. The Irish government website clearly states that this will be an option so I would recommend making a copy of the original and carrying that as as well as any scanned-in electronic versions:

The EU Digital COVID Certificate is designed to facilitate the safe free movement of citizens within the EU during the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be valid in all EU Member States, including Ireland.

The certificate – in digital or paper format – is proof that a person has either:

• been vaccinated against COVID-19;
  • received a negative test result; or
  • recovered from COVID-19

It is important to note that the EU Digital COVID Certificate is not a travel document. The possession of an EU Digital COVID Certificate will not be a precondition to travel.

Individual Member States will determine how the DCC will be used as part of national public health measures.

Countries that will use the Digital COVID Certificate

The system will be used throughout the EU and is also open to Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Just a general security comment in respect to the online vaccination certification. For sure a paper document can be lost or destroyed by fire for example but that same document on a smartphone can be hacked, accidentally deleted, become incompatible, may not be accessible due to lack of signal or run out of power, to name but a few and of course it can still be lost and destroyed by fire! I am really not sure why having a smartphone proves identity or is considered safe storage.

I don't see the digital vaccination certificate on my phone, or the paper version I received from the Apotheke, any different than a paper or digital boarding pass for an airline flight.  Neither the boarding pass nor my phone can verify or establish my identity as I have other documents for that.  The phone is a container for other information and the vaccination certificate on my phone is not dependent on a good signal.  I verified that I can view the certificate when the phone is in airplane mode.

If I lose the paper or digital version of my vaccination certificate, it is (or should be) easy enough to get a duplicate since the information is on a server somewhere. 

1 hour ago, JG52 said:

Neither the boarding pass nor my phone can verify or establish my identity as I have other documents for that.

Tell that to the banks, Paypal, Amazon and E-Bay, and that is just the ones I know of, who are using SMS or smartphone apps to confirm that logins, money transfers etc. are genuine!

6 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Tell that to the banks, Paypal, Amazon and E-Bay, and that is just the ones I know of, who are using SMS or smartphone apps to confirm that logins, money transfers etc. are genuine!

Oh FFS, you tell them.  I don't use my phone for online banking.

15 minutes ago, JG52 said:

Oh FFS, you tell them.  I don't use my phone for online banking.

I do Telephone Banking on our land-line only - and PayPal works nicely, too: I get a code (via internet) and a call when I want to make a payment. Did so just a few minutes ago. No app necessary there.

The others work nicely without apps, too...

Seems like Lisbon is being sealed off from the rest of Portugal at weekends...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/lisbon-ringed-off-weekends-portugal-fights-virus-surge-78337824

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

Seems like Lisbon is being sealed off from the rest of Portugal at weekends...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/lisbon-ringed-off-weekends-portugal-fights-virus-surge-78337824

Won't do much. The hospitality lobby moves a lot of power there, they don't even want to close restaurants earlier.

If Portugal ends up on the virus variant list like the UK then they can kiss goodbye to a lot of bookings this summer. The rules are much stricter when returning to Germany from such a region with no exemption from the 14 day quarantine even if vaccinated or testing negative. It's not a problem for the two of us to work from home but our son is supposed to be back at school on the Monday. Portugal has a chance to lockdown hard now and be open for peak season. We have to make a call by the 8th of July as to whether or not we are going to cancel our bookings. We are exploring our options at the moment. Our apartment is in Nazare so outside the Lisbon metropolitan region it seems but when I look at the reopen EU map I see Portugal is considered a single entity whereas the vast majority of member states are further broken down by region with only two of the Baltic states and the island states also being considered single entities. Is this Portugal's decision? Could it request that Lisbon at least be considered a separate region to allow flights to places like Porto and Faro to continue?

We could theoretically change our TAP flights to fly to Porto (ironically transiting through Lisbon as TAP has no direct flights from Berlin, but airport transit is ignored by the German authorities as long as one doesn't leave the airport) if Porto is not added to the list of virus variant regions, but as it stands the whole of Portugal seems to be one epidemiological region. Of course if the delta variant takes sufficient hold in Germany then Portugal will by default not be on the variant list I guess.

Portugal is currently heading the way of the UK :-(

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2021-04-22..latest&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=Confirmed+cases&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=IRL~GBR~DEU~PRT

@murphaph, Portugal reports regional numbers, so Germany (RKI) distinguishes quarantine rules between different regions.

Example from the last report from RKI:

Unfortunately we have idiotic politicians who won't enact until it's too late, so now I suspect we will have another wave until mid July.

I think they thought Portugal could widstand a new wave, if number of deaths were low and ICU beds were free. But that means shit during the high season, tourists won't come.

Thx Mike, the EU map seems at odds with the one on the ADAC page alright:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en (no regions) vs https://www.adac.de/news/urlaub-portugal-corona/ (regions clearly indicated)

It's a real shame as Portugal seemed to be handling things pretty well throughout the pandemic, which was one of the reasons we chose to go there, though it has been on our list for quite a while. As long as Lisbon isn't added to the virus variant list we can manage things with tests but a 14 day strict quarantine at the start of the new school year would not be ideal.