9,734 posts in this topic

The 28 year old daughter of my girlfriend´s friend died of covid on Sunday (in South Africa). She had no known preexisting conditions.

43 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I doubt it. Germany will reach close to 70% with one shot within 5 weeks. Then it's game over. Company doctors are starting to vaccinate, this will accelerate even further.

It might raise the cases a bit by end of June, but I think it should be easy to control until something close to herd immunity is achieved.

The UK is already has already vaccinated  76.8% and 53%  of its adult population (1st and 2nd jab resp.) and according to @murphaph, at least, new infections are " heading in the wrong direction" as a result of the delta variant. Given the current vaccination situation here we had better all hope the delta variant stays away for a while yet!

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

54 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I doubt it. Germany will reach close to 70% with one shot within 5 weeks. Then it's game over. Company doctors are starting to vaccinate, this will accelerate even further.

It might raise the cases a bit by end of June, but I think it should be easy to control until something close to herd immunity is achieved.

The delta variant has shown an ability to infect those with only one shot though, which is the big concern. I don't think we'll see Armageddon or anything like it but we could see some impact. The UK incidence rate is going up but so far hospitalisations and deaths are not increasing because of it. It "seems" weaker somehow, but I still think we need to get all vulnerable groups fully vaccinated asap before this thing takes hold (which it will like the Kent one did).

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

The UK is already has already vaccinated  76.8% and 53%  of its adult population (1st and 2nd jab resp.) and according to @murphaph, at least, new infections are " heading in the wrong direction" as a result of the delta variant. Given the current vaccination situation here we had better all hope the delta variant stays away for a while yet!

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

It's 59% with at least one shot for the whole population. Let's not forget that even in Germany the youngsters are driving infections since a month.

And look at the deaths in UK. Almost none.

One problem for UK is they have much higher percentage of AZ. They won't achieve herd immunity at 70% with AZ. They will need either to increase it to 85-90% or mix more mRNA vaccines. So their 59% is probably as good as Germany's 46%.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The UK incidence rate is going up but so far hospitalisations and deaths are not increasing because of it. It "seems" weaker somehow, but I still think we need to get all vulnerable groups fully vaccinated asap before this thing takes hold (which it will like the Kent one did).

That's because vulnerable groups are mostly vaccinated. What you see here are young people partying, getting infected, but not dying.

And this is the tricky part I've been saying for half a year: as soon as deaths drop, governments will relax, even let it out of control. Problem is, these people will suffer serious long term problems, which the government doesn't care. UK is in that state.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

The 28 year old daughter of my girlfriend´s friend died of covid on Sunday (in South Africa). She had no known preexisting conditions.

Very sad.😒

U.S. Report Found It Plausible Covid-19 Leaked From Wuhan Lab

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-report-concluded-covid-19-may-have-leaked-from-wuhan-lab-11623106982

WASHINGTON—A report on the origins of Covid-19 by a U.S. government national laboratory concluded that the hypothesis claiming the virus leaked from a Chinese lab in Wuhan is plausible and deserves further investigation, according to people familiar with the classified document.

It is attracting fresh interest in Congress now that President Biden has ordered that U.S. intelligence agencies report to him within weeks on how the virus emerged. Mr. Biden said that U.S. intelligence has focused on two scenarios—whether the coronavirus came from human contact with an infected animal or from a laboratory accident.

We all want to know, of course. Just.. within weeks? How is that supposed to work???

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Very sad.😒

On 9/21/2020, 8:54:31, MikeMelga said:

Indeed 🥺

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

The delta variant has shown an ability to infect those with only one shot though, which is the big concern. I don't think we'll see Armageddon or anything like it but we could see some impact. The UK incidence rate is going up but so far hospitalisations and deaths are not increasing because of it. It "seems" weaker somehow, but I still think we need to get all vulnerable groups fully vaccinated asap before this thing takes hold (which it will like the Kent one did).

The incidence rate is going up in a time (spring and summer) when infections usually go down. That's indeed worrying.

Hello, Monday at 8 I called our HausArtz and asked about the vaccine, she said she would put us on the list and that all :(.

And the second question, if she does not call this week I'm flying on Saturday to Romania where vaccination is basically just a walk at the centers.

If I get the 1st shot in Romania and the paper that shows this, can I get the 2nd shot here as my holiday is shorter than 3 weeks?

12 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Hello, Monday at 8 I called our HausArtz and asked about the vaccine, she said she would put us on the list and that all :(.

And the second question, if she does not call this week I'm flying on Saturday to Romania where vaccination is basically just a walk at the centers.

If I get the 1st shot in Romania and the paper that shows this, can I get the 2nd shot here as my holiday is shorter than 3 weeks?

I would asked the GP if that is possible. Maybe you can get JJ in Romania, then you only need that one shot.

Ok thanks, my understanding is that they usually must provide the 2nd dose.

I can get JJ but not so keen on that.

2 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Ok thanks, my understanding is that they usually must provide the 2nd dose.

I can get JJ but not so keen on that.

Do you prefer Astra over JJ? I have read that you can get Astra or JJ in Romania without waiting times gut that there is a waiting list for Biontec.

With Astra as far as I know the 1st and 2nd shots are 12 weeks apart. So there is at least some time to secure a 2nd dose.

In România You can get Pfizer at all the centers, JJ only airports, basically the people that wanted to be vaccinated are exhausted so it is free for everyone, dunno if it works also for non Romanian citizens, but you can fly to either Bucharest or Iasi airport and get JJ in the free area.

I want to get Pfizer.

16 hours ago, yesterday said:

whether the coronavirus came from human contact with an infected animal or from a laboratory accident.

Won't make one bit of difference either way.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Won't make one bit of difference either way.

Makes a huge difference to me

If it is shown that China created the virus and then accidental released it, then they covered it up, thus slowing down the response by all coutries, this would have a huge difference on the number of people dying of the virus.

We were slow to respond to the virus, it could have been much quicker, if China had told us about the full effects of the virus so we could lock down much earlier