5,107 posts in this topic

Just now, snowingagain said:

Eating beaver has become less popular due to changes in grooming habits.

Not true, if you're flexible...

 

5e68d28742fde_51-Cm9F5PZL._AC_1.jpg.3253

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think "they" know something we don't ,when Merkel says 70% of Germany will catch this then something is a miss

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McD's coupon-a-day thing is still bringing in droves. Now they place orders 'to go' but so many come in that the kitchen can't produce the food fast enough so the droves all crowd at the front of the store waiting to collect their bag and run back to their car. Waiting times up to 15 minutes (or more). Sundays are still full house and no seating to spare. Doesn't anyone read/watch/listen to the news? How is this avoiding crowds? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, murphaph said:

 

It's going to end up like that here if the attitude doesn't change quickly. Our local Gesamtschule had a confirmed case yet just 2 classes were asked to self isolate. This is a joke. The school should be completely shut right now.

 

 

Ok - so here's a development that underscores what I wrote earlier today about the lack of official response.

 

My German was just sent home from the institution in which she teaches. She has been feeling unwell for a couple of days but this morning this developed into a strong headache, fever with chills and respiratory distress. We were in Alsace a week ago.

 

"Go home" they told her - "you're surrounded by people here". She's come home, immediately tried to contact the doctor (doesn't work afternoons), contacted another doctor, was referred to the local Gesundheitsamt (who have nothing about the virus on their homepage) who she just half a minute ago got off the phone with. 

 

The official reaction? "It sounds like the flu. Don't worry about coming in. If it gets worse, stay home from work."

 

That's it. Nothing more. Nothing about screening - just "you'll be fine".

 

Unbelievable.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tokeshu

 

If you do not test people the numbers stay low.

 

Damn, I am moving closer to J2 territory, I will stop reading the Internet for a while.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

My German was just sent home from the institution in which she teaches. She has been feeling unwell for a couple of days but this morning this developed into a strong headache, fever with chills and respiratory distress. We were in Alsace a week ago.

 

"Go home" they told her - "you're surrounded by people here". She's come home, immediately tried to contact the doctor (doesn't work afternoons), contacted another doctor, was referred to the local Gesundheitsamt (who have nothing about the virus on their homepage) who she just half a minute ago got off the phone with. 

 

How far are you from Esslingen? I hear they've set up a drive-through testing station there - all you need is a referral from your doctor (you'll have to wait until tomorrow).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

How far are you from Esslingen? I hear they've set up a drive-through testing station there - all you need is a referral from your doctor (you'll have to wait until tomorrow).

 

Kreis Tuttlingen.

 

It's really astounding. She's trying to do the right thing and they told her (over the phone) that they don't need to see her. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

 

Kreis Tuttlingen.

 

It's really astounding. She's trying to do the right thing and they told her (over the phone) that they don't need to see her. 

 

They're saying to call 116 117 here. Is that just in Hamburg or in all of Germany?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

 

Kreis Tuttlingen.

 

It's really astounding. She's trying to do the right thing and they told her (over the phone) that they don't need to see her. 

 

The right thing? Coming to the doctor and affecting more people?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

 

 

Ok - so here's a development that underscores what I wrote earlier today about the lack of official response.

 

My German was just sent home from the institution in which she teaches. She has been feeling unwell for a couple of days but this morning this developed into a strong headache, fever with chills and respiratory distress. We were in Alsace a week ago.

 

"Go home" they told her - "you're surrounded by people here". She's come home, immediately tried to contact the doctor (doesn't work afternoons), contacted another doctor, was referred to the local Gesundheitsamt (who have nothing about the virus on their homepage) who she just half a minute ago got off the phone with. 

 

The official reaction? "It sounds like the flu. Don't worry about coming in. If it gets worse, stay home from work."

 

That's it. Nothing more. Nothing about screening - just "you'll be fine".

 

Unbelievable.


Same situation with my husband’s colleague whose family had just returned from Italy. He had to be sent home from work on Monday after much coughing and fever despite having felt ill over the weekend.  No test, just stay at home until better. Not helped by staff at the company getting bonus deductions for each day off sick. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am wondering what good a test does anyway for someone not in a risk group or not living with someone in a risk group, other than make someone whose illness will most likely fall into the majority of relatively mild cases worry more?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, emkay said:

. He had to be sent home from work on Monday after much coughing and fever despite having felt ill over the weekend.

 

Sorry but if his family has just returned from Italy and he felt unwell over the weekend then why the fuck did he go to work on the Monday ?

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

exactly.  It's so shitty when people arrive sick in the office and pass it around, no matter what the bug is

 

ffs we do get paid sick leave in Germany - USE IT!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

 

The right thing? Coming to the doctor and affecting more people?

 

No.

 

The right thing = notifying the appropriate authorities, getting a confirmation or not that this is actually what she might have so the authorities have the information they can use to help track the spread of the disease.

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it helps anyone but Bayern at least has Hotline Coronavirus Bayern: 09131 6808-5101

 

there is also one specifically for Munich residents:   089/6221-1000

 

full corona page for munich is here:  https://www.landkreis-muenchen.de/themen/verbraucherschutz-gesundheit/gesundheit/coronavirus/

 

you'd think the "gusundheits"amt would be clued in but maybe better to contact the corona specific office if there is one in your area.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

Am wondering what good a test does anyway for someone not in a risk group or not living with someone in a risk group, other than make someone whose illness will most likely fall into the majority of relatively mild cases worry more?

So that they can track it and hopefully determine where it came from and tell people in your contact group that they should also not go near people in the risk group.  Also for me, I don't usually stay away from work for 2 weeks when I am sick.  

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to the radio this morning and the point was raised several times that German style federalism could end up costing lives due to an incoherent, ad-hoc approach to this crisis.

 

I think so far the death rate has been so low just because Germany has more ICU capacity than most countries but it will still be overwhelmed if and when the virus starts spreading in anger.

 

The Poles and Czechs are taking a more conservative approach. We'll see who was right soon enough.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now