9,375 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

The UK changed its recommendation on not drinking for 2 days.  There were fears it would discourage people from attending.

ha ha! Yep, this is my people :)

I received my first Moderna injection through the U.S. military system 24 hours ago and have an appointment for my second injection on 7 June.  I don't have any side effects, and the only slight tenderness in my arm is restricted to a small area at the point of injection, or no different than any flu shot I've received over the decades. 

I did have some trouble sleeping last night, but discovered it was the Band-Aid tugging at the hair on my arm.  After I pulled off the Band-Aid, sweet relief and sweet dreams.  :D

Probably gonna have some hate from this post... but it's a valid point IMO.

Ramadan ends today. As reported by the head of RKI, most of the new ICU cases (90%) in this 2nd and 3rd wave are from "arabic speakers" and "serbian and balcan" speakers.

Cases in Germany also stabilized and started dropping by the beginning of Ramadan, a month ago.

From what I understood, after Ramadan Muslims get together and celebrate. Can we expect a rise in cases within a week?

Or are we good enough with vaccinations and low numbers that won't be noticeable? And numbers among Muslims are right now very low (because of Ramadan), so there is no danger?

Bear in mind, in this case this is nothing against Muslims, it would be the same if a large southern europe tight knitted community would exist here (it doesn't).

Just got back from having the first shot at 11:00 - BionTech-Pfizer - at my daughter's practice.

All nominal and the sweetie drove me home afterwards. :) 

3 hours ago, Metall said:

And shots afterwards?

I'll get my coat...

Next shot will be this evening. A single Malt ;) 

Next Covid jab, 23rd June.

13 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

From what I understood, after Ramadan Muslims get together and celebrate. Can we expect a rise in cases within a week?

Or are we good enough with vaccinations and low numbers that won't be noticeable? And numbers among Muslims are right now very low (because of Ramadan), so there is no danger?

Bear in mind, in this case this is nothing against Muslims, it would be the same if a large southern europe tight knitted community would exist here (it doesn't).

Şeker Bayramı (sugar festival) is what my Turkish relatives would celebrate these days, and yes, I've been worried, too. From what I hear, festivities will be rather muted in Germany this year.

Christian Drosten says if you don't get vaccinated, you'll inevitably get the virus:

»Dieses Virus wird endemisch werden, das wird nicht weggehen. Und wer sich jetzt beispielsweise aktiv dagegen entscheidet, sich impfen zu lassen, der wird sich unweigerlich infizieren.« Dagegen könne man nichts tun, da die Maßnahmen mit der Zeit immer weiter zurückgefahren würden.

Danach zirkuliere das Virus in der Bevölkerung, zum Beispiel unbemerkt im Rachen von Geimpften und bei kleineren Kindern, die noch nicht geimpft werden können. »Das Virus wird unerkannterweise unter einer Decke des Immunschutzes sich weiterverbreiten. Und dann trifft es immer auch auf Leute, die nicht immunisiert sind durch eine Impfung, die voll empfänglich sind.«

Auch im kommenden Winter wird es daher nach Einschätzung des Virologen noch Covid-19-Fälle auf Intensivstationen geben. Er glaube, »diejenigen, die sich aktiv gegen die Impfung entscheiden, die müssen wissen, dass sie sich damit auch aktiv für die natürliche Infektion entscheiden. Ohne jede Wertung«, sagte Drosten. Es sei eine freie Entscheidung.

Source

"This virus will become endemic, it won't go away. And if you actively decide against vaccination, you will inevitably get infected." Nothing can be done about this, because the measures are being retracted more and more over time.

The virus will then continue circulating among the population, for example, unnoticed in the throats of the vaccinated and among younger children, who can't be vaccinated yet. "The virus will continue to spread unnoticed under a blanket of immune protection. And then it will also encounter people who have not had the vaccine, who will be totally susceptible."

Therefore, there will still be Covid-19 cases in intensive care stations in the coming winter, according to the virologist's assessment. He believes that "those who actively decide against vaccination have to be aware that they are also actively deciding in favor of a natural infection. Without any judgment," said Drosten. It's a free decision."

(translation courtesy of me)

Plague rats gonna plague rat.

7 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

The virus will then continue circulating among the population, for example, unnoticed in the throats of the vaccinated...

???    

What does that mean?

9 minutes ago, balticus said:

???    

What does that mean?

It means that, contrary to your unfortunate prediction, it won't be going away last August or most likely even this coming August!;)

9 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Eventually they will move it to >6 years old.

So what are the long term effects of injecting a 6 year old ? Does it have any repercussions say ... one year on from injection ? I'm just interested if a growing child would suffer any ill effects after a while given that their bodies are in a constant state of development. 

12 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

It means that, contrary to your unfortunate prediction, it won't be going away last August or most likely even this coming August!;)

It's never going away.

We have several mutations already that have leapfrogged any protection some of the vaccines provide. As more people are vaccinated the strains that they cover will lose their hold and people will get and pass on the ones the vaccines do not cover.

So we need new vaccines. 

We can only hope the next version is not more deadly with a longer time become becoming infectious and showing symptoms. A strain that makes your face bright red after an hour and causes you to explode after 5 hours would be relatively easy to deal with as far as controlling the infection spread. You see after an hour that someone has it and they blow up four hours later. 

If the next virus takes 4 weeks before symptoms appear, people are infectious after 1 week and you die within one to two weeks after symptoms started (say we give it a 40% fatality rate), we are going to lose a lot of people. A lot of them would have been on demos saying it is nothing to worry about. 

9 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

We have several mutations already that have leapfrogged any protection some of the vaccines provide. As more people are vaccinated the strains that they cover will lose their hold and people will get and pass on the ones the vaccines do not cover.

That maybe true but the point of the item @El Jeffo quoted from was that the vaccinated and children would continue to be infected by the virus but would not suffer any symptoms or realise they had it so making it inevitable that it would be passed on to anyone who was unvaccinated. Not sure how true that actually is since it appears that the vaccines do limit infection to some degree.

6 hours ago, Tap said:

Update on the side effects from the vaccination yesterday - nothing!  I felt tired yesterday, but decided to have a really lazy day. I also drank a lot of water, more than I normally do. I don't know if either of these made any difference and I don't know if not having any side effects is a good thing or not. Some people say that having side effects is a sign that the body is doing it's job, but I don't know how true that is.

My second vaccination is on 22 June, lets see how that goes.

Good to hear

My seond is on the same day aswell, still feel a bit tired

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

Good to hear

My seond is on the same day aswell, still feel a bit tired

I had my first shot on April 21st.  I was a bit tired for a couple of days and my shoulder hurt a little but that was it.  My 2nd shot is on June 2nd.

Today I made an appointment for a friend.  He's getting J&J so only one shot.

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Cases in Germany also stabilized and started dropping by the beginning of Ramadan, a month ago.

I'm not sure how Ramadan works in Germany, but I am currently living in an Islamic country and I can tell you that during Ramadan, whilst people are largely staying in during the day, of an evening there is Iftar (the breaking of the fast) and people are going to these huge Iftar buffets in restaurants and hotels, and when that buffet starts social distancing goes out of the window - at least in the Iftar events that I was invited to, when people were queueing to get food from the buffet there was no 2m distancing in the queues.

Iftar buffets are also amazing by the way, would thoroughly recommend people going if they get the opportunity. 

So unless Iftar is not happening to the same scale, I can't see why Ramadan would cause cases would drop over the last month?

13 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

@Mackle, my guess for Germany is that Iftar is simply not allowed at the moment due to restrictions.

Ah, okay - I've been out of Germany for nine months, and am very fuzzy on what is and what isn't allowed. Friends in Frankfurt say contradictory things.

If I'm not mistaken, yesterday was the first non-Wednesday with over a million shots administered.