9,375 posts in this topic

I am not sure if I am feeding a troll, but I will respond and clarify what I thought was pretty clear.

Someone on here said that in DE, they keep second jabs reserved/out of circulation.

So no worry for those who have had 1st, of the supply running out before their receive their 2nd.

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Also talk of mixing vaccines. Who knows?

I am happy to have first AZ and 2nd biontech but if anyone can share some good info on here that would be great. I know many who are opting for both AZ.

I read that biontech could be better against new variants. 

12 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

They have put all second jabs to one side, I read here I think?

(so must be true)

They were certainly doing that initially when it was 2 weeks between jabs but I believe they dropped that to allow more people to get the 1st shot and extended the time for the 2nd to 6 or 12 weeks.

14 hours ago, bramble said:

Seems that the EU will not be ordering any more AstraZeneca vaccines after contract ends: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eus-breton-eu-did-not-renew-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-order-after-june-2021-05-09/

For those of us here, me included, who have an appointment for the 2nd AZ shot after June that is a concern but to be honest it would be no surprise to see the EU screw things up again, they will most likely decide at the last minute that they do need to re-order and expect delivery last week.:mellow:

3 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

For those of us here, me included, who have an appointment for the 2nd AZ shot after June that is a concern but to be honest it would be no surprise to see the EU screw things up again, they will most likely decide at the last minute that they do need to re-order and expect delivery last week.

My daughter had her AZ jab end of March (she works in a Kita). They and other Kita employees as well as teachers at the local schools were innoculated together as a group here at the AWO building.  All got AstraZeneca. This was before the news broke about the blood clots. The second jab is scheduled for end of June. She and her colleagues were asked a few days ago which vaccine (AZ, Biontech or Moderna) they want for the second jab. My daughter opted for AZ again as she doesn't trust mixing the vaccines. Other colleagues mistrust AZ and opted for Biontech. So it looks as if their chosen vaccines for the second jab are being reserved for them in advance. 

So maybe all others who got AZ will also be notified and asked whether they want a choice for the second jab. No idea how that's going to work, though, as judging by the news the Hausärzte are offering AZ to everyone who wants it - young and old - seemingly with success, which looks as if they are trying to use up all the AZ supplies available.  

On 4/13/2021, 6:19:37, karin_brenig said:

If you want to avoid the AstraZeneca stuff, you can tell which vaccine you're going to get by how much time lies between your first and second shot.

AZ is 12 weeks apart, BionTech and Moderna are six weeks apart.

So, when you see there are 12 weeks between your appointments, try clicking "nächsten verfügbaren Termin anzeigen" until you get a pair of dates that is only six weeks apart. Or simply try again some other day (Tuesday evening worked for me today :) to schedule appointments for my BionTech shots)

I want to thank you for that valuable information.

As I suffer from multiple allergies, I was afraid of AZ - but I just confirmed a Biontech/Pfizer jab in the the near future with your help! \o/

Finally got moved up to Priority group 3 and then got the text to book my appointment. It was a bit confusing because I am in higher education as an adjunct (Lehrbeauftragte) and one uni said it was only eligible for those with a contract. Then another uni (Hochschule) I work at said all are eligible and I’ll be getting my proof to show them this week. 

So onto booking I go... Thanks for the 6 week tip. 

15 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

I am not sure if I am feeding a troll, but I will respond and clarify what I thought was pretty clear.

Someone on here said that in DE, they keep second jabs reserved/out of circulation.

So no worry for those who have had 1st, of the supply running out before their receive their 2nd.

There's no way that's true because on the impfdashboard you can track the current percentage of deliveries that has been administered. It's consistently around 90%. It would need to be much lower if they were reserving doses for those second shots. I suppose they try not to drop below a certain threshold of stock to try to ensure nobody goes over the recommended interval but they are not giving Hans his first shot and then reserving a second one for him in a fridge somewhere because then that figure would be closer to 50% now.

15 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

I am not sure if I am feeding a troll,

Yes.

14 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

I am happy to have first AZ and 2nd biontech but if anyone can share some good info on here that would be great. I know many who are opting for both AZ.

I read that biontech could be better against new variants. 

BioNtech is simply a much better vaccine and a landmark for medicine in general, not just vaccines. This will revolutionize cancer treatment, among others.

Also by having 2 different vaccines, there is a good probability that you cover more variants than just with one.

13 minutes ago, murphaph said:

There's no way that's true because on the impfdashboard you can track the current percentage of deliveries that has been administered. It's consistently around 90%. It would need to be much lower if they were reserving doses for those second shots. I suppose they try not to drop below a certain threshold of stock to try to ensure nobody goes over the recommended interval but they are not giving Hans his first shot and then reserving a second one for him in a fridge somewhere because then that figure would be closer to 50% now.

I think you are both correct. They are keeping a reserve, but counting on continuous deliveries by PFizer. PFizer has demonstrated reliability and volume.

Heard on the Radio yesterday, the EU has dropped AZ as a supplier and will only buy from BionTech and another, I guess this is related to the let down of supplies from Az earlier in the year.

While this might sound like payback time, we should remind ourselfs that the Az is much cheaper an BionTech, so we in the EU will have to finance that some how.

Az, vaccine is actually really not that bad, ok there is the blood clot thing, but its so rare.   

and BionTech has been linked several times to  shingles

But not enough data yet to prove the link 100 %, https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/92106

even when proved the actually effects are very limited

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Az, vaccine is actually really not that bad, ok there is the blood clot thing, but its so rare.   

The problem is that when they have to modify it, it can take months again to certify it. With Biontech, it will be very fast.

12 or 20€ per dose is nothing compared with a pandemic catastrophic consequences to the economy.

As yet another one of my colleagues in the UK is off sick today having received the AZ jab, I would prefer to avoid it, within reason. Does anyone know what the current deal is? I read it's now allowed for under 60s, but does that mean the Impfzentren are doing it for under 60s or is it still only at the doctor's?

It's a bit academic anyway as since becoming eligible a week ago the booking site only ever tells me there are no appointments available. 

1 minute ago, Dembo said:

As yet another one of my colleagues in the UK is off sick today having received the AZ jab, I would prefer to avoid it, within reason. Does anyone know what the current deal is? I read it's now allowed for under 60s, but does that mean the Impfzentren are doing it for under 60s or is it still only at the doctor's?

You get to choose which to take if you are below 60.

16 minutes ago, Dembo said:

As yet another one of my colleagues in the UK is off sick today having received the AZ jab, I would prefer to avoid it, within reason.

My colleague and his son (healthy strapping men) both got AZ - and were down for two days with fever and chills.

It's still better than getting Covid, but if you have a choice of vaccine...

45 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They don't have a very large stockpile. Patients who received their first dose of Biontech at the doctor's office will be receiving their second shot soon. When ordering more vaccines doctors need to distinguish between 1st and 2nd doses. They're currently not expecting to have much for the last 2 weeks in May available for 1st doses. From June there is an expectation of a sharp increase in availability. 

19 minutes ago, Dembo said:

It's a bit academic anyway as since becoming eligible a week ago the booking site only ever tells me there are no appointments available. 

You can also contact your doctor for an appointment. Biontech is not without side-effects. I had headache lasting more than 2 days and a very sore arm (compared to what I'm used to for the flu shot). 

13 minutes ago, Metall said:

My colleague and his son (healthy strapping men) both got AZ - and were down for two days with fever and chills.

It's still better than getting Covid, but if you have a choice of vaccine...

Same here. Woke up thinking I was near death again. Thank God for Paracetamol. Thanks to FF for the tip. Not looking forward to having to do that regularly.

Keep taking your paracetamol or ibu or whatever until it is better. Try to stay ahead of it instead of playing catch up.