4,971 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, HEM said:

Actually there are an awful lots of rats around - on farms of course but also recycling centres because people also put foodstuffs in there.

You only have to look on YouTube for videos where farmers etc invite people (often "professionals") to come in with high-powered airguns to shoot then (poison does not work becuase there is so much other stuff to eat & you cannot blast away with a shotgun when your cows etc. are stood around).

the point is not "can people get it" but "will it lead to another pandemic"

generally, no, it won't.  plague needs the flea - a flea that prefers to live on rats - as a vector to spread.  It cannot spread person to person the way viruses do.  It would be unfortunate if it took hold in rural areas but the reason plague wiped out so many people historically was dependent on so many people living in very close quarters with rats and their fleas, rural, urban, everywhere.  I'm not trying to downplay it, of course people should take precautions whenever possible but even when I lived in NYC we had rats under control at home.  Were they around?  of course.  did we catch the plague?  erm...no.  we did not.  it would take a world migration of infected rats to create another pandemic of plague.  I mean, I guess I could be afraid of that.  I guess I could never leave the house again.  And stock up on air guns.  Strangely I am not afraid of that nor do I feel the need to arm myself.

plus, as brad points out, plague is treatable with antibiotics as many bacterial infections are.  Viruses, on the other hand, are better controlled by preventing infection in the first place using vaccines, which we don't have for corona, many strains of flu, or the common cold (rarely deadly, true, but it's an economic drain if nothing else), nor is it a slam dunk to nurse someone through an infection when it goes south.  

you see my point?

"be afraid" and "what about" is a useless strategy. 

Interesting New York times article on vaping suddenly killing 59 Americans only in certain city's just before the Wuhan outbreak. Its a bit tin foil hat to connect the two together but Iran likes the old style water pipe as well. Might be worth giving it a miss till it blows over.

A side note I caught Pneumonia in China in April last year after passing though a meat market, and the first thing I do is to try and steam any cold or flu out. It certainty was not infectious although my daughter developed a cough that cleared up. 

Have a read and look at the symptoms, sudden spike and regions. Google has other articles if you cannot get past the paywall. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/vaping-illness-tracker-evali.html

47 minutes ago, GoBike said:

Interesting New York times article on vaping suddenly killing 59 Americans only in certain city's just before the Wuhan outbreak. Its a bit tin foil hat to connect the two together but Iran likes the old style water pipe as well. Might be worth giving it a miss till it blows over.

Wuhan is the site of a biowarfare research lab. At the time of the outbreak, it was fully operational in the 5G network.

The bioreceptors in the virus affect overwhelmingly Asian people, also over there something like 85% men smoke, plus the pollution has always been bad. 

Latest:

>LATEST CASES
17:42: 5 new cases in Greece. Four are close contacts of prior cases and the fifth traveled from London.
17:39: 1 new case in Bahrain.
17:25: 50 new cases in Norway. The other cases mentioned in the press release were previously reported.
17:13: 977 new cases and 168 new deaths in Italy.
17:01: 78 new cases in Sweden.
16:42: 31 new cases in New York, United States.
16:00: 5 new cases in Hong Kong.

Updates:

http://pastebin.com/raw/qy5RFpVX

Cv has wiped 5 trillion off global stocks. 

Fuck... I just wasted 3 minutes reading that bollox and then another 7 minutes trying to work out what you are blabbing on about...

I said something the other day about taking immunosuppresants for Crohn's disease, but just reading something that says these drugs are actually being used to fight serious Corona cases. It seems the virus can cause a "run away" response from the immune system that does more damage than good.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asia/china-turns-roche-arthritis-drug-actemra-against-covid-19-new-treatment-guidelines

Which is interesting. That article also says something I've seen elsewhere; that there's hope that existing drugs for AIDS, Malaria or Ebola could be effective.

I keep waiting for the email saying everybody must work at home, but it hasn't come yet. The canteen has got rid of everything self service, and you're no longer allowed to pick up a tray and cutlery yourself - you have to wait for a lady wearing gloves to hand it to you. Which when I think about it is pretty sensible.

cytokine storm?

the going theory is that this was what was responsible for so many deaths in young, healthy people with the spanish flu.  

sadly on many occasions I've seen people wearing gloves in food service in germany.  they seem to think the gloves are magical shields against all and sundry...dip in to the cash register, grab a dirty rag to wipe something down, then grab your food...it's all good! they're wearing gloves! 

they really don't get it.  I hope your kantine workers are better trained.

A doctor's frightening description of the warzone like conditions raging in one of the richest regions of the European Union:

https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

It's going to end up like that here if the attitude doesn't change quickly. Our local Gesamtschule had a confirmed case yet just 2 classes were asked to self isolate. This is a joke. The school should be completely shut right now.

54 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I said something the other day about taking immunosuppresants for Crohn's disease, but just reading something that says these drugs are actually being used to fight serious Corona cases. It seems the virus can cause a "run away" response from the immune system that does more damage than good.

Interestingly, aspirin poisoning was a major problem in Spanish flu. They thought it would cure them but just made things worst.

41 minutes ago, murphaph said:

A doctor's frightening description of the warzone like conditions raging in one of the richest regions of the European Union:

https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

It's going to end up like that here if the attitude doesn't change quickly. Our local Gesamtschule had a confirmed case yet just 2 classes were asked to self isolate. This is a joke. The school should be completely shut right now.

Frightening. I'm worried and have already discussed with my bosses about not coming into work if we have an outbreak. I was in hospital in Jan with pneumonia so potentially I am in the at risk group.

Just to report on my uneventful flight from Mallorca today. I saw zero masks at the airport or on the almost full plane. The worst thing was a German on the bus taking us to our plane who coughed like hell without attempting to cover anything. The bus was packed full. Gross! Oh that and we flew over Milan.

Dont think the virus is crawling up high in the air to meet 10000 feet flights. Irrespective of how strong the cough has become.

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Just to report on my uneventful flight from Mallorca today. I saw zero masks at the airport or on the almost full plane. The worst thing was a German on the bus taking us to our plane who coughed like hell without attempting to cover anything. The bus was packed full. Gross! Oh that and we flew over Milan.

Glad you have survived🙏🏻
There was this on a train in Australia yesterday! Glad I‘m not married to her!https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/coronavirus-australia-woman-coughing-sydney-train-covid-19-a9387591.html

1 hour ago, French bean said:

Frightening. I'm worried and have already discussed with my bosses about not coming into work if we have an outbreak. I was in hospital in Jan with pneumonia so potentially I am in the at risk group.

Sorry about the above post. TT seems to be bugging out and I can’t edit. 

Just got an email from TUM, where I sometimes work, giving a whole bunch of laws about how getting paid and sick leave will be. But since I’m freelance, I’m not sure how that will go for me. I’m pretty much screwed. I wish Germany would take this seriously. 

LMU seems not to have anything out yet. 

37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Be careful with your pearls, @fraufruit, dear! :) 

A little update from our quiet corner of RLP. As yet we haven't had a massive outbreak however Bad Durkheim has had a teacher I believe who has tested positive so the school is suspended and that means a number of people are in self imposed quarantine. The figure I heard banded about was 200 but no other confirmed cases as yet. As for our town the Stadtverwaltung has taken over a former Aldi supermarket and converted it into a Coronavirus testing centre. This was closed about 6 months ago, it's about 500M from the centre of town, 300M from the hospital, naturally has plenty of parking, nearest housing is about 300M away and is a modern building. So anyone that shows symptoms is sent there rather than to the Hausarzt or hospital. I think we have one confirmed case in the town. As for us, we were planning on visiting relatives in 10 days but we're cancelling.

Now I know why so many are stocking up on toilet paper.  Fear of the virus gives them the runs.

Some details about how China is fighting (and succeeding) the COVID-19, basically they are using all technology available.   Every person in the affected areas is registered via an App and they have to carry the phone with the App everywhere, the App will show your status which can be Green, Yellow or Red.  At the beginning you were asked to provide information about where you were in the past days, been ill, etc.  When you go to work there are scanners at the doors and you sign in with your App, your temperature is measured and if it is over 37.3 you are not allowed in and you are mark as Yellow and you have to go home and wait to be tested.  All data is collected in a giant Big Data and crossover left and right.  When a new infected person if found his whereabouts are in the database and all potential persons in risk are mark as Yellow and have to go home and wait to be tested.   Same if you want to enter a restaurant (the few that are open).   Daily you are required to update a form with your data and you have to take your temperature in the morning and afternoon.   Your temperature is checked before entering the metro too.   Your data is permanently checked against data from the Police and from the weird neighborhood committees they have over there,   Police are randomly walking the streets and testing people's temperature, all obviously stored in the Big Data via your App ID.   If you order delivery food you will receive it with a sticker confirming that everybody involved in processing your order had normal body temperature.   Massive AI and data processing is constantly done trying to find ways to block the spread.

I myself declare China as the king of innovation in 2020.

In the meantime here people disable Location Services in their phones because they do not want Google to know where they are.   And people insist that controlling body temperature is useless because by then the person has been sick for long time.   Yes, that's true, but then by not controlling it you are allowing those infected people to roam around.   The (unfortunately) very popular perfect solution fallacy,