9,779 posts in this topic

I've had one dose of AstraZeneca. I have an email informing me that the second dose will be either Moderna or Biontech. If I choose to have my second dose with AZ, I can.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Deliberately infecting people with a potentially fatal virus has serious ethical questions hanging over it, especially if you are paying them (they are desperate and need the money presumably). There would be slightly fewer ethical questions hanging over such a study where the participants volunteered without payment. But still very questionable stuff. 

And not doing it while the whole world is exposed to a pandemic is not questionable? That´s the same kind of argument which disallows shooting down planes hijacked to be used as terrorist weapons. I know that German law does disallow that but I still think it´s wrong.

As I have become eligible in BW from yesterday, I tried booking repeatedly today without luck.  Failed at the last post, ie got the code on my phone, then got another code by email, put it in.  Then nothing.  However just now I tried again, and I have an appointment next week.  And what is weird is it BioNTech.   Perhaps it is a mistake. I shall find out.

Oh bugger.  Do not tell me that when the say "über 60" they mean at least 61?  I remember someone saying they had got turned away earlier because the were 70, not 71.  But that does not make sense as the BW webpage talks about "unter 60".  Is actually being 60 some sort of weird twilight zone?  I was in automatic mode.  Perhaps I said I was 90.  No idea.

The German version at the Bundesministry site talks about: 

"Personen, die das 60. Lebensjahr vollendet haben"

Is your 60th birthday in the past?

Then you're OK 😉

I got my first jab at the Impfzentrum this evening. My appointment was for 6 pm. There was a long, winding queue and it took a whole hour before I got my jab (Biontech). That was 2 hours ago. Am feeling fine so far.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

I got my first jab at the Impfzentrum this evening. My appointment was for 6 pm. There was a long, winding queue and it took a whole hour before I got my jab (Biontech). That was 2 hours ago. Am feeling fine so far.

Biontech first jab should be OK. Second one is harder.

Opposite with AZ. First is a knockout.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Congrats, Bramble! You were lucky. Takes 2 hrs. at the Munich Impfzentrum.

30mins in Kiel and 30mins in another northern town. I've been driving rels and colleagues around.

Northerners don't discuss as much...

18 hours ago, Krieg said:

Plenty of people are taking ivermectin in third world countries, including a few of my friends back there.  The outcome, if you do not die then "Ivermectin worked flawlessly" and if you die then "This must be one of the rare cases where ivermectin didn't work because so far it has worked in so many people".

So the same playbook used for vaccines, lockdowns, and masks.    🤡

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Biontech first jab should be OK. 

Can confirm. This morning only the upper arm where the needle went in is a little bit sore. Otherwise no side effects so far. 

Second one is harder.

My second jab is due on the 1st of June. What side effects did you have?

Opposite with AZ. First is a knockout.

Not with my daughter (works in a Kita), who had her first jab end of March. She had a sore arm, a slight headache and sleepiness the first day. A few of her colleagues suffered more including a higher temperature. Her second jab won't be AZ, probably Biontech some time in June. It's obviously an individual thing how people react to vaccines.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Congrats, Bramble! You were lucky. Takes 2 hrs. at the Munich Impfzentrum.

Because of the long waiting times in long queues at the various Impfzentren I would advise anyone to try getting an appointment at their doctor's surgery (which in the meantime seems to be working for quite a few people I know, who are quite a bit younger than I am).  Especially the oldies. I saw a lot of pretty frail people with rollators, some in wheelchairs and quite a few not being able to stand so long. There were a few chairs avalaible, though. Also there is usually not enough parking lots for cars. I went by bus. 

Still gets me every time. Ted Nugent, who has been a consistent coronavirus denier in the dumbest of ways, has Covid-19.

"I got a stuffed up head, body aches, oh my god what a pain in the a--. I literally can hardly crawl out of bed, the last few days but I did. I crawled."

Nugent appeared to say he will follow orders to remain in isolation: "I'm homebound, i.e. quarantine."

Throughout his 8-minute, 50-second video, Nugent used racist language to describe the virus, which had killed more than 570,000 people in the U.S. as of Tuesday morning, according to a running tally by NBC News.

Just four months ago, Nugent doubted that the coronavirus even existed, calling it a "scamming pandemic" and vowing not to take any vaccine.

"It's not a real pandemic and that's not a real vaccine. I'm sorry, I ain't taking no vaccine," Nugent told fans in a video on Christmas Day.

"You come at me with a needle and I will be in fear of my life," he said. "You know what I'll do if you come at me with a needle: 'Hi, I'm from the government, this needle's good for you.' F--- you."

He's been running around like nothing is going on.

that-reads-if-you-dont-want-to-quarantine-its-okay-charles-darwin-next-to-a-photo-of-charles-darwin.jpeg.jpg

I got the first shot this morning.  Took 1 hr. and 20 min. from start to finish.  My town is using a refugee home as a vaccination center.  It was built in 2015 during the wave but I'm not sure it was ever in use as a refugee home.  In any case, it's nice and new and has a lot of rooms.  Industrial area.  Plenty of parking on a nearby field.  Anmeldung was outside, wasn't checking papers, just checking off names and giving out numbers.  There were chairs outside for the waiting masses, 20-30 ppl, and a tent for those who were too cold and wanted to wait "inside".  Staff were coming every few minutes and picking up groups of 4-5 people.  I waited about half an hour outside.  They were vaccinating in 2 buildings, the one I went to, they were vaccinating on the 1st and 2nd floor.  First station, checking temperature, ID and letters.  Second station, getting paperwork to fill out, consent form, health etc.  Third station, short chat with doctor.  Fourth station, shot.  All of this took around half an hour.  Then there were a few rooms where you could have a seat to wait your 20 min. to see if you are ok.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

In Cyprus the interval between the 1st and 2nd AZ vaccinations has been decreased to 8 weeks as it´s claimed to be more effective that way. Haven´t read something like that in German media yet.

I suspect Germany, finally, like the UK, will use the longer interval to give as many people as possible the first jab.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

I suspect Germany, finally, like the UK, will use the longer interval to give as many people as possible the first jab.

I had 1st jab AZ end Feb  and just phoned to see if I could maybe switch my 2nd appt to sooner, seeing as it will be with a different vaccine. The answer (in my state) was no - but that is fine, mid may is fine by me. my prediction is I wont be able to choose moderna or biontech, but could choose AZ, seeing as theyve opened that up to anyone who wants it here.

The German parliament is voting on potent new legislation to control the coronavirus pandemic across the country. If approved, the changes to the Infection Protection Act could be a watershed moment in Germany's fight against the third wave of COVID-19.

In India, authorities are scrambling to bolster the healthcare infrastructure as the latest wave of coronavirus infections stretches hospitals to breaking point.

And finally, the Netherlands has announced plans to end a controversial nighttime curfew and allow cafes to serve customers outdoors as part of an easing of coronavirus restrictions, even as cases continue to rise.

From DW

11 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Throughout his 8-minute, 50-second video, Nugent used racist language to describe the virus

Did he refer to a Brazilian or South African variant?   Oooh, spicy.  do tell NBC.   🤡

Need to give credit to NBC as they have figured it out.    People are more likely to listen to Trevor Noah, Bill Maher, Morgan Freeman, or even the esteemed author of such ballads as "Wango Tango" and "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" rather than reading articles from medical journals like Nature (which has by the way been censored on this site at your insistence).   

that-reads-if-you-dont-want-to-quarantine-its-okay-charles-darwin-next-to-a-photo-of-charles-darwin.jpeg.jpg

Thanks, fake Chucky Darwin quote generator!!   😂