9,047 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Then based on your timeline we are in agreement that Germany and several other European countries made a very serious mistake in not initially using the AZ vaccine for over 65s but used it almost exclusively on under 60s 

As far as i know, the problem was not that they thought it unsafe but that they didn't know how well it would function because it was not tested on the 65+ age group.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

My good friend in Uruguay (51, no preconditions) received his second Chinese vaccination today. His mother and MIL receive their second jab of Pfizer this month. The country was really doing well until the Brazilian mutation came to the border and spread from there rapidly. They have no lockdown, because they can't afford to. Only children do home schooling. The 7-day incidence is above 1300. Ridiculously high. The president talks about "responsible freedom". At least the vaccination rate is really good. It has less than 4 million inhabitants.

makes you think.. we are in this for the long haul.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

My good friend in Uruguay (51, no preconditions) received his second Chinese vaccination today. His mother and MIL receive their second jab of Pfizer this month. The country was really doing well until the Brazilian mutation came to the border and spread from there rapidly. They have no lockdown, because they can't afford to. Only children do home schooling. The 7-day incidence is above 1300. Ridiculously high. The president talks about "responsible freedom". At least the vaccination rate is really good. It has less than 4 million inhabitants.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-04-uruguay-world-record-covid-infection.html

Just googled the latest in Uruguay.

32 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Then based on your timeline we are in agreement that Germany and several other European countries made a very serious mistake in not initially using the AZ vaccine for over 65s but used it almost exclusively on under 60s  despite the EU saying it was safe for all age groups. Then adopted a  stop and go policy in respect to its use when they could have proceeded full steam ahead with a single jab then a 12 weeks to 2nd jab as per the UK , then delayed that decision and the rollout further with little or no due scientific cause!

Full steam ahead with a vaccine that wasn't being (and still isn't) being delivered in anywhere close to the ordered quantities?

34 minutes ago, john g. said:

Yes, it went from best in class to worst in class. Very sad. In January, the holiday season, they closed borders with Argentina and Brasil, but it was not enough. My friend owns a big farm which he visits once a week and the rest he stays at home in Montevideo. His wife doesn't work. He also does the groceries for his mother and MIL. They don't go anywhere yet. 

I came across a thoughtful article from the New York Times that contains various people's reflections upon their lives since the corona virus began:

Emerging from the Coronavirus: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/05/us/coronavirus-pandemic.html

When will the holding pattern feeling end...will there ever be a going back to 'how it was' and what would we like the future to be like for each of us individually? What are our hopes, what can we do right now, where are we as humans in the whole lockdown (from light to emergency brake mode) world? 

9 hours ago, john g. said:

Didn’t Merkel have the AZ jab today? Just wondering how that will influence the politicking over which jab is better than others? And for which age groups?

That politicizing of what should be a merely scientific/medical issue is as annoying as it is stupid. As if the authorities deciding on approval (or not) of the AZ vaccine would care about Brexit rather than the data available.

If there is any room for politicizing it´s about whether political decisions should be made on whether you can deviate from the intervals between administrations as stipulated in the approvals of vaccines by the EMA (given the lack of sufficient vaccines) and give everyone a first dose, knowing full well that it won´t provide the same level protection (but still a very decent one against hospitalization and death) as a complete vaccination with two doses but provide partial protection for more people. I can´t understand why that´s not being done. It´s frustrating. Somebody needs to give Spahn a kick in his bum so that he starts listening to Lauterbach (who is advocating that).

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

I hope the UK doesn't regret opening stuff up in the belief that vaccinations have taken care of everything. Chile is in the shitter now because of this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56731801

9 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yes, it went from best in class to worst in class. Very sad. In January, the holiday season, they closed borders with Argentina and Brasil, but it was not enough. My friend owns a big farm which he visits once a week and the rest he stays at home in Montevideo. His wife doesn't work. He also does the groceries for his mother and MIL. They don't go anywhere yet. 

It's deja vu all over again.    

Ecuador's death per million today is slightly worse than Germany's.   

4 hours ago, jeba said:

I can´t understand why that´s not being done. It´s frustrating. Somebody needs to give Spahn a kick in his bum so that he starts listening to Lauterbach (who is advocating that).

Given that the interval between 1st and second jabs (in Bayern at least) is now 6 weeks for Bion-Tech and 12 weeks for AstraZeneca it looks like the kick has been received and acknowledged.

Also do you really think Merkel has been vaccinated, that was faked the secret service would never allow here to come under the control of Bill Gates.:lol:

15 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

If they have a large percentage of chinese vaccine, they will not achieve herd immunity, the efficacy is not high enough. I fear underdeveloped countries will take one more full year to achieve herd immunity, especially the ones betting on the chinese vaccine.

uK no longer a risikogebiet..

what are the odds we’ll be able to fly there from Germany to see family in the Summer hols.

holidays still illegal I see. (We will be vaxxed to the maxxed 😂)

8 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

what are the odds we’ll be able to fly there from Germany to see family in the Summer hols.

As long as Germany isn't on the risikogebeit list for the UK :ph34r:

If Bill Maher is saying this, then his handlers have approved of the message and that might signal a coming shift in narrative.   

Time for some character assassination.   🔥

4 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

holidays still illegal I see. (We will be vaxxed to the maxxed 😂)

99%. Germany should achieve herd immunity by July, maximum mid August.

So i am in group 3

Any one seen any projections on when I will be offered the vaccine.

Does anyone know which group they are currently vaccinating at the moment.