9,048 posts in this topic

Even now, all vaccines don't protect well against all current variants. That makes me think that many will have to get re-vaccinated in the not too distant future.

I'm suffering from the infopandemic right now. Can't keep up.

On 4/13/2021, 5:03:00, fraufruit said:

Got my jab today. Think of a huge airport terminal at holiday time. One hour in line to the first registration. Another half hour for the jab. All my papers checked and chopped by 4 different people. Only in Germany.

Had mine last Thurs.

Getting a termine in BW is an absolute fucking joke to be honest.

Took me 5 or 6 weeks of visiting the website countless times every day to get an appt for the wife.

However when the doc informed me that I was eligible i got home and tried once on the website and got an appt for the very next day.I can only assume someone had cancelled with very short notice,especially as I got BionTech which seems to be in v short supply.

When I got there I waited about 5 mins for the first registration which was basically a soldier just making sure I`d got the relevant paperwork and an appt so took about 2 mins.

Then waited about 5 mins to get into the doc who basically asked what made me eligible,the side effects and about allergies etc,that took about 5 mins.

Then another couple of mins wait to go into injection room (given I think by a nurse rather than doc).

Then out and 15 mins wait for possible reaction,then out and home.

The wife was a lot longer when she got hers but she had the AZ and there was lots of people getting that.

Arm was a bit sore at the injection point but that´s the only side effect I had.However doc did say if I had no side effects with the first one then makes it more likely to get them with the 2nd one.

37 minutes ago, Keleth said:

When I got there I waited about 5 mins for the first registration which was basically a soldier just making sure I`d got the relevant paperwork and an appt so took about 2 mins.

Then waited about 5 mins to get into the doc who basically asked what made me eligible,the side effects and about allergies etc,that took about 5 mins.

Then another couple of mins wait to go into injection room (given I think by a nurse rather than doc).

Then out and 15 mins wait for possible reaction,then out and home.

The wife was a lot longer when she got hers but she had the AZ and there was lots of people getting that.

Arm was a bit sore at the injection point but that´s the only side effect I had.

Excellent, good on you!

(And thank you for no longer quoting, ahem, certain "people".)

I got a letter today telling me that I am allowed to book an appointment now.  The website for Niedersachsen just lets you put down times and weekdays that you are available and then you go on the waiting list.  I also wanted to ask my GP too but couldn't reach him by phone.  I guess a lot of people got letters already and want to book.  I had to go there anyway to pick up a prescription and found that they were not actually that busy.  They said they are not vaccinating yet but hope to start in about 2 weeks.  

I also asked my GP about getting vaccinated at her surgery, she told me that at the moment she receives 10 doses of AZ a week !  and that she has  1000 diabetic patents who are before me in the queue. Could be outside of Berlin things work better, wouldn't be the first time.

17 minutes ago, Wasteland said:

I also asked my GP about getting vaccinated at her surgery, she told me that at the moment she receives 10 doses of AZ a week !  and that she has  1000 diabetic patents who are before me in the queue. Could be outside of Berlin things work better, wouldn't be the first time.

My doctor (also in Berlin) gets 20 doses per week (which I think is standard). 

37 minutes ago, Wasteland said:

How embarrassing. What is Germany even doing anymore.

51 minutes ago, Wasteland said:

This is an issue. Not everybody can get Covid protection right now or gets Covid. Diabetics also need help. 
The whole balance of it all- 

@fraufruit

From the quote you linked...

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

That doesn’t mean immunity from these shots stops at six months, it’s how long volunteers in clinical trials of the vaccines have been followed.

Scheduled for the COVID vaccination for next week. This would mean it took about a month to ge to the actual day of the vaccine. First week was a phone call from my Pflegegrad 5 FIL's house dr. asking if he and up to two family members wanted the vaccine. Yes, so my husband and I are going to get vaccinated. Second week some paperwork to pick up at the dr. office, fill out at home and return to dr. office via their mailbox. Third week FIL's house dr. called  in to say in the fourth week someone is coming to our home to vaccinate all three of us at a specified time.

The paperwork only mentioned BioNtec/Moderna and that there is a chance of getting a case of Bell's Palsy from the vaccine. Oh, that sounds awful to me actually. But better than thrombosis of the sinus (Johnson & Johnson of late) or the brain (Astra Zeneca) I hope none of us has any kind of ill side effects. In the  back of my mind this week I am very aware that things CAN go terribly wrong and each day up to 'vaccine day' feels like 'perhaps the last day I am able to blink with both eyelids' or 'perhaps the last day I have a symetrical facial expression' or 'the last day before a stroke ruins the rest of my life,' etc. Yes, I am worried.

Hope nobody actually gets infected in the process of getting the jabs. There are large numbers of people gathering in enclosed spaces, some of whom are likely to be carriers, even if asymptonatic. And its not as if you can turn on your heels and leave afterwards, you have to wait for 15 minutes to see if there are side effects. My instinct will be to just get out of the place after I've had my jab.  A bit like those stories you hear about of people who got killed on the last day of the war!  

There was a thread recently about a property manager unwilling to have the annual meeting of owners online. I don´t remember who wrote it but whoever it was may find this court ruling to be of interest: https://www.kostenlose-urteile.de/LG-Frankfurt-am-Main_2-13-T-721_Anspruch-des-Wohnungseigentuemers-auf-Absage-der-Eigentuemerversammlung-wegen-befuerchteter-Unzulaessigkeit-wegen-Corona.news30125.htm

8 hours ago, Wasteland said:

I read that it may not be such a good idea after all to have GPs vaccinate the Biontech vaccine because there were several cases in which it wasn´t handled correctly. Distribution via pharmaceutical wholesale companies resulted in vials not being transported / handled correctly as handling of that vaccine is much more challenging than what their employees are used to. There is a reason why in most states there are pharmacists at the vaccination centres to make sure that the vials are treated correctly.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

There was a thread recently about a property manager unwilling to have the annual meeting of owners online. I don´t remember who wrote it but whoever it was may find this court ruling to be of interest: https://www.kostenlose-urteile.de/LG-Frankfurt-am-Main_2-13-T-721_Anspruch-des-Wohnungseigentuemers-auf-Absage-der-Eigentuemerversammlung-wegen-befuerchteter-Unzulaessigkeit-wegen-Corona.news30125.htm

That was me, thank you for the link.

Pfizer CEO says that a booster shot will likely be needed within 12 months.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/covid-19-booster-shot-likely-needed-12-months-pfizers-ceo-says-rcna692

Exercise can help prevent severe COVID outcomes.   We already know that obesity is not only a risk factor, but also correlation to higher transmission.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2021/04/07/bjsports-2021-104080

When people say it's stupid to get vaccinated against a disease that kills less than 1% of the population, I'm convinced they've never done the math on how many people that actually is.

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

When people say it's stupid to get vaccinated against a disease that kills less than 1% of the population, I'm convinced they've never done the math on how many people that actually is.

Do you really think that people who say such things are capable of doing the math?!??!? 

9 hours ago, cybil said:

Scheduled for the COVID vaccination for next week. This would mean it took about a month to ge to the actual day of the vaccine. First week was a phone call from my Pflegegrad 5 FIL's house dr. asking if he and up to two family members wanted the vaccine. Yes, so my husband and I are going to get vaccinated. Second week some paperwork to pick up at the dr. office, fill out at home and return to dr. office via their mailbox. Third week FIL's house dr. called  in to say in the fourth week someone is coming to our home to vaccinate all three of us at a specified time.

The paperwork only mentioned BioNtec/Moderna and that there is a chance of getting a case of Bell's Palsy from the vaccine. Oh, that sounds awful to me actually. But better than thrombosis of the sinus (Johnson & Johnson of late) or the brain (Astra Zeneca) I hope none of us has any kind of ill side effects. In the  back of my mind this week I am very aware that things CAN go terribly wrong and each day up to 'vaccine day' feels like 'perhaps the last day I am able to blink with both eyelids' or 'perhaps the last day I have a symetrical facial expression' or 'the last day before a stroke ruins the rest of my life,' etc. Yes, I am worried.

The sinius vein thrombosis is the brain clot, AFAIK 

25 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

22 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Do you really think that people who say such things are capable of doing the math?!??!? 

The worst hit country in the world is Czechia which as of today on worldometers has 2632 deaths per million.    Germany has 952 deaths per million.

Get out your calculators:    that is 0.2632% and 0.0952% respectively.   Worldwide worldometer reports just under 3 million deaths out of a population of 7-8 billion.   You might be shocked to know that in most industrialized countries, around 1% of the population dies each year.    Shocking!!

Anyone capable of a more complex analysis, can drill down based on age, sex, location, living situation, overall health, exercise regimen and balance those against any potential vaccine side effects to make a personal decision about the suitability of getting vaccinated.   

We need to respect people's choices.    As i have been told about identifying obesity and lack of exercise as risk factors, we cannot "fat shame"  because a very small fraction of those who are overweight have thyroid problems or hormonal imbalances.   Meanwhile being overweight adds to the risk of many other health issues having nothing to do with COVID.   

Hope that helps.  ;)