8,875 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I have a few questions and I can't find a straight answer:

• Is AZ second shot really replaced? I can't find a single official source

It was on the news today that the second shot for under 60s will be replaced with either Biontech or Moderna. 

43 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Are schools closed with incidence above 100?

We are a bit below and on the A/B week model, so only half the students in at a time.

Our understanding is that over 100 is similar, and only over 200 do we get no Presenzunterricht (not convinced by that spelling but you know what I mean :)).

We may be wrong.

On 13/04/2021, 20:16:17, keith2011 said:

You must have missed me then, I also got mine today AZ, and also the 2nd on the 6th of July.:D I really do not understand why they do not offer all the forms online so you could have them all ready filled out on arrival, then those who have done so could miss out most of the moving from one queue to another. Not sure but I think I got the jab from a nurse, 2 ladies both dressed the same one one did the details and the younger (who I had assumed was the nurse) gave me the jab.

How are you feeling?

And how are you feeling, Keith?👍

A tribute to you:

👍👍

So Himself had as appointment with his GP for his first AZ jab next week. Today, he got his invite from the Impfzentrum. By fiddling with the dates for his 1st and 2nd jab, he managed to get an appointment for Biontech. Those appointments are 6 weeks apart instead of 12.

Someone mentioned that somewhere on here and it worked. Thanks to you!

I wish I had known sooner.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

• Are schools closed with incidence above 100?

In Berlin they are still open.

P.S., My son's (primary) school closed today.  They started with the fast tests this week and today 8 teachers were positivo with the fast test, but some of them already received the first vaccine.   The school closed all the classes where those teachers taught this week, but unfortunately that meant almost the whole school.   Now we have to wait for PCR results.   This made me think that this fast tests daily thing, while in paper is a good idea, might at the end create more stress due to false positives. 

4 hours ago, john g. said:

And how are you feeling, Keith?👍

A tribute to you:

👍👍

Thanks for that super vid. one of the greats.:D

My arm is a bit sore (worse than yesterday) in the area of the jab but it hasn't fallen off yet, so I'm still hopeful.;)

I found this interesting. Ireland v UK Covid death rates. Ireland is no more vaccinated than here but the dramatic reduction in deaths in the UK beginning at the end of January has been largely followed by Ireland. It's only now that Ireland is showing a higher death rate (but still very small compared to the two peaks).

I'm really wondering how much of the UK's drop was vaccine related at all and how much of it was lockdown related.

I was hoping it was more vaccine related as that would really give us hope that we're close to the end but I'm not so sure now. 

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=40..latest&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=new_deaths_per_million&Metric=Confirmed+deaths&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=GBR~IRL

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

I found this interesting. Ireland v UK Covid death rates. Ireland is no more vaccinated than here but the dramatic reduction in deaths in the UK beginning at the end of January has been largely followed by Ireland. It's only now that Ireland is showing a higher death rate (but still very small compared to the two peaks).

I'm really wondering how much of the UK's drop was vaccine related at all and how much of it was lockdown related.

I was hoping it was more vaccine related as that would really give us hope that we're close to the end but I'm not so sure now. 

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=40..latest&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=new_deaths_per_million&Metric=Confirmed+deaths&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=GBR~IRL

I doubt it is much vaccine related, not enough vaccines given out for that yet. I assumed it was mostly lockdown related.

Just add Germany to the comparison in your link. The UK winter peak was huge, the 7-day incidence was well into the hundreds (UK data). That was the Kent variant doing it's thing. The UK then went into a really hard lockdown for a long time and got their numbers down. As far as I know, the opening up now is still based somewhat on hope that the good weather and vaccination rates will keep the numbers relatively low until everyone is fully inoculated.

In comparison, Germany has never lockdowned that hard and rules have been constantly fluctuating. But that's been OK because we hadn't had the the Kent variant to deal with...until now. I think that's what the experts here are shit scared of, that Germany is about to go into the Kent variant spiral. A huge third wave like the UK's second wave. Maybe summer will help us. Maybe, with luck, a massive ramp up in vaccination rates will help keep things at bay. If not, it's lockdown time.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

In comparison, Germany has never lockdowned that hard and rules have been constantly fluctuating. But that's been OK because we hadn't had the the Kent variant to deal with...until now. I think that's what the experts here are shit scared of, that Germany is about to go into the Kent variant spiral. A huge third wave like the UK's second wave.

That variant is already here, 90% of cases are from UK variant.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

Maybe summer will help us. Maybe, with luck, a massive ramp up in vaccination rates will help keep things at bay. If not, it's lockdown time.

We also need warmer temperatures. Airing out and UV radiation perform miracles.

21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

That variant is already here, 90% of cases are from UK variant.

We also need warmer temperatures.

Let's forget about electric cars and make fossile fuels great again :P

I was thinking yesterday that, because the vaccines are only good for 6 months, it is about time for all of the first takers including those who took part in the approval studies to be vaccinated again. Where will those vaccines come from and will they be given some kind of preference?

Kudos go to Karin_Brening for the Biontech hack, BTW.

I had my second 2 hour incident yesterday afternoon. Freezing, chills, feeling lousy so I took 2 Paracetamol and went to sleep. Two hours later I was fine.

15 hours ago, bramble said:

It was on the news today that the second shot for under 60s will be replaced with either Biontech or Moderna. 

any news on if this will be by choice (doubtful) or what factors will influence who will get what?

1 hour ago, oscar 63 said:

any news on if this will be by choice (doubtful) or what factors will influence who will get what?

https://www.tagesschau.de/newsticker/liveblog-dienstag-103.html#BioNTech-oder-Moderna-fuer-Zweitimpfung-nach-AstraZeneca

BioNTech or Moderna for second vaccination after AstraZeneca

People under 60 years of age vaccinated with a first AstraZeneca dose should switch to another preparation for the second vaccination. The federal and state health ministers have unanimously agreed on this. "The solution that has now been found offers good protection for people," said the chairman of the Conference of Health Ministers, Bavaria's head of department Klaus Holetschek, to the news agency dpa. The ministers are thus following a recommendation of the Standing Commission on Vaccination (STIKO) from the beginning of April.

During the consultations, in which STIKO head Thomas Mertens had also participated, it had become clear that the second vaccination by an mRNA vaccine, i.e. the preparation by BioNTech/Pfizer or Moderna, was a good basis to protect people effectively, Holetschek said. "Especially in the third wave." Specifically, the resolution recommends a second vaccination twelve weeks after the first vaccination for people under 60. "Appointments for the second vaccination that have already been made can also take place transitionally from the ninth week after the first vaccination," it continues. Only in individual cases and after an individual risk analysis with a doctor, AstraZeneca could also be used for the second vaccination. Last week, the health ministers had still postponed the decision on the change of vaccines.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

12 hours ago, murphaph said:

It believe it is much too early for a full analysis of the effects of the vaccination rollout in the UK but some initial studies have indicated that the percentage of covid deaths and hospitalisation amongst the older age groups (previously the most vulnerable)  has declined massively compared to the younger age groups, basically it is no longer the elderly that are being most seriously effected. I believe that supports vaccination as being the reason. For sure the strong lock down in the UK will have had an impact on new infections but all things being equal if vaccination was not working the elderly would have continued to have the highest death rates. Italy and France have also implemented strong lock downs but are not seeing the same kind of improvement as in the UK. The UK which formally had the highest death rate in Europe has dropped down to number 9 (excluding nations of less than I million pop.) and although it still has the highest total number of deaths in Europe, Italy is now a close second with France not so far behind despite both countries having smaller populations.

I would suggest that comparing the UK with the ROI which has only one city of more than 1 million population and that accounts for more than 25% of the total population in a predominantly rural country is like comparing strawberries with potatoes!

BTW feeling good today after my AZ jab on Tuesday, hardly any soreness now in my arm and no longer sleepy.:)

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was thinking yesterday that, because the vaccines are only good for 6 months, it is about time for all of the first takers including those who took part in the approval studies to be vaccinated again. Where will those vaccines come from and will they be given some kind of preference?

AFAIK, there is no strong confirmation that they only last 6 months. My understanding is this virus mutates more slowly than the flu, so it should be good enough for 1.5 to 2 years.

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was thinking yesterday that, because the vaccines are only good for 6 months

Where did you get this info ?

This is the WHOs take on vaccine longevity..

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-(covid-19)-vaccines?adgroupsurvey={adgroupsurvey}&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTnqrpDgOUlqXMj6pc8rXfXb-sVoNISyJG-z3p0Ul2V3bCDcqM8EghUaAtx7EALw_wcB

"Because COVID vaccines have only been developed in the past months, it’s too early to know the duration of protection of COVID-19 vaccines. Research is ongoing to answer this question."

Thanks, Keleth.

I keep seeing articles such as this one -

How Long Does Protection Last?

The CDC’s official position is “We don’t know,” and Gulick told Intelligencer, “We’re just starting to understand how long that immunity may last.” A piece of the answer came last week from Pfizer, which announced that antibodies triggered by the jab and the strong immunity they prompt persists for at least six months among vaccinated individuals — even against more contagious variants. New research also suggests that the protection the Moderna vaccine gives lasts for at least six months. That doesn’t mean immunity from these shots stops at six months, it’s how long volunteers in clinical trials of the vaccines have been followed. Gulick says some experts “would say it may last even longer, but we don’t have a good answer as of yet.”

source