9,047 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

And what if it does decrease the efficacy of the vaccine to say 50% ?

That´s very unlikely. A risk worth taking as it would drastically reduce the number of patients in need of hospitalisation.

Well, we’re flying to Hamburg early May to try to sort some stuff out! Ok, we need a Covid negative test with maximum 72 hours validity before the flight.

We found out we can’t do it a pharmacy ( not available ) or at the hospital in town ( because the report is only in Greek and the rules are it must be in English for international flights ).

But we surprisingly found a lab open yesterday (on a Saturday and sowieso with loads of places closed ) which will offer the test at 60 euros per person and so we have booked it.

Snag: it is bloody Easter here then but they told us we can pick up the report on the Greek equivalent of Good Friday. 

Hmm... we are well attuned to being advised “ no problem, Mister John.”

Ach ja?

We shall see!😂

Israel is having problem to reach 70% of people with at least one vaccine shot (has 61%). Been like that for a month. 

Why is this important? Because cases kept dropping! This might mean that Pfizer vaccine might only require around 60% for herd immunity.

Israel is not using only one type of vaccine is it ? I understood that the army was being vaccinated with something different to the general population. How do you work out these percentages ?

33 minutes ago, Wasteland said:

Israel is not using only one type of vaccine is it ? I understood that the army was being vaccinated with something different to the general population. How do you work out these percentages ?

Also Moderna, but it's in less quantities and the efficacy is the same.

Here is the source:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=286..latest&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=new_cases_per_million&Metric=People+vaccinated&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=EuropeanUnion~ISR

On 4/9/2021, 3:51:09, yesterday said:

Yeah agreed

But I want to visit my 89 year old mother, she has had both jabbs

Do I think I will not go before I get at the first jab and waited a month. I would feel pretty bad if I took the virus to her

Her having had the jabs though, in principle, give her the protection, not whether you have had the jabs or not. Although it is looking likely, it is still not proven that having the jabs prevents you form being able to pass the virus on to others. So it's a slightly flawed logic. But for sure, it's a personal decision that everyone will have to make.

Is it ok to just have a whine here? Ok :)

I just want the option of getting the vaccine already. I would if I could and also respect people who for whatever reason choose not to be immunized.

My job is high risk and my health profile is higher risk (I have had Pneumonia twice) I work as a upperclass teacher in NRW's highest incedence city and and live in NRW's number three. At this point the schools have opened and closed, opened and closed that the students---knowing that there will be no consequences for their participation or lack thereof--- are barely trying. I know that sounds harsh but that is true in an incredibly chaotic and confusing school system. The schools are not nearly as clean or controlled as politicians might want you to think. Some teachers with health conditions are being written off sick until they can get immunized.

There's no logic in promoting an early vaccine to kindergarten and primary teachers without extending that possiblity to those of us who work with older kids---particularly the Oberstufe who are coming back part time to 'prepare for exams;' these students  are essentially adults and so I cannot wrap my mind around how they are not even more capable of spreading the virus to other students and staff. The argument that I have heard is that teachers of younger children have to be closer to their students and so they need to be vaccinated. That is true and it is also true in high school.

I have a long commute to work (no car) and I am constantly worried about contracting Corona on the bus and train. Most students have been sent back to virtual classrooms this week in NRW,  because I also teach one class in the Oberstufe I am being asked to keep coming to school so I can essentially teach over the internet in an empty classroom and then try to teach half of my older students in person. I love teaching but I just want to feel safe doing it. 

1 hour ago, NativeFraulein said:

As much as you like.

Most of us are doing the wine thing at home. 

1 hour ago, NativeFraulein said:

Some teachers with health conditions are being written off sick until they can get immunized.

Get a letter from your doctor and do this if you are high risk.

I did and I'm getting vaccinated tomorrow in Munich in Gruppe 2.

29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Get a letter from your doctor and do this if you are high risk.

I did and I'm getting vaccinated tomorrow in Munich in Gruppe 2.

May I ask how you were notified to get your vaccination?

I’m not in the eligible group yet (however, I am interviewing for a Grundschule position, so that may change), but I did register back in January. 

Did you just get a letter in the mail or were you more proactive? 

I got a text on my phone last night. Himself handled the rest of it - printing out the papers I need to take, etc. I have to take along the letter from my doctor stating that I'm high risk, the papers and my passport.

Not sure what you mean by being proactive. I just signed up online like everyone else. The doc gave me the letter some weeks ago after getting my diagnosis. I then went online and got changed from Group 3 to Group 2.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

The media like to romanticise crap situations, the real issue here is that society failed her TWICE and let her get infected again,

I thought the real issue here is that in a reversal of media policy, this story should comfort the elderly people that the media have previously frightened the absolute shit out of.

58 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I got a text on my phone last night. Himself handled the rest of it - printing out the papers I need to take, etc. I have to take along the letter from my doctor stating that I'm high risk, the papers and my passport.

Not sure what you mean by being proactive. I just signed up online like everyone else. The doc gave me the letter some weeks ago after getting my diagnosis. I then went online and got changed from Group 3 to Group 2.

I mean did you call up and ask a few times, etc. So something more than just signing up. 

19 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I thought the real issue here is that in a reversal of media policy, this story should comfort the elderly people that the media have previously frightened the absolute shit out of.

I've seen stories in the media of people surviving shark attacks, lightening strikes and even falling out of planes without a parachute. But I would still be shit scared of going through either of those things. Just as a 104 year old should be shit scared of getting covid...twice.

26 minutes ago, Jonny said:

How so?   That lady survived, but thousands and thousands elders in her country did not and the crappy vaccination program is not working well over there, hospitals in the big cities are collapsing and the whole country is borderline bankrupt.    But showing the one who made it (twice) shows elders should not be afraid?

10 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

I mean did you call up and ask a few times, etc. So something more than just signing up.

Nope. Just signed up and then changed my status once. All online.

28 minutes ago, Krieg said:

How so?   That lady survived, but thousands and thousands elders in her country did not and the crappy vaccination program is not working well over there, hospitals in the big cities are collapsing and the whole country is borderline bankrupt.    But showing the one who made it (twice) shows elders should not be afraid?

It is a human interest story and one which made news around the world. Everyone admires an old fighter. The medical staff seem to appreciate her.

11 hours ago, NativeFraulein said:

I just want the option of getting the vaccine already. I would if I could and also respect people who for whatever reason choose not to be immunized.

My job is high risk and my health profile is higher risk (I have had Pneumonia twice) I work as a upperclass teacher in NRW's highest incedence city and and live in NRW's number three. At this point the schools have opened and closed, opened and closed that the students---knowing that there will be no consequences for their participation or lack thereof--- are barely trying. I know that sounds harsh but that is true in an incredibly chaotic and confusing school system. The schools are not nearly as clean or controlled as politicians might want you to think. Some teachers with health conditions are being written off sick until they can get immunized.

There's no logic in promoting an early vaccine to kindergarten and primary teachers without extending that possiblity to those of us who work with older kids---particularly the Oberstufe who are coming back part time to 'prepare for exams;' these students  are essentially adults and so I cannot wrap my mind around how they are not even more capable of spreading the virus to other students and staff. The argument that I have heard is that teachers of younger children have to be closer to their students and so they need to be vaccinated. That is true and it is also true in high school.

I have a long commute to work (no car) and I am constantly worried about contracting Corona on the bus and train. Most students have been sent back to virtual classrooms this week in NRW,  because I also teach one class in the Oberstufe I am being asked to keep coming to school so I can essentially teach over the internet in an empty classroom and then try to teach half of my older students in person. I love teaching but I just want to feel safe doing it. 

as a secondary school teacher who occasionally also works in primary school so I was lucky enough to get the jab early, I totally agree with you.

Why on earth is it justified that primary teachers have the jab when secondary don't. the proximity thing doesn't seem a very valid reason to me, like you say, it would be balanced out by the higher contagiousness of older pupils.

I feel v guilty as a relatively young man having had the jab, speaking to much older secondary colleagues still trying to get a booking for one. Ridic.

11 hours ago, NativeFraulein said:

It is the right place for general complaints. However, since the the Länder are responsible for the vaccinations, the process differs across the country. If you have specific questions about the process in NRW, you probably needed to start a new thread for it (IIRC there are only threads for Bavaria, Berlin, and Brandenburg so far).

My job is high risk and my health profile is higher risk (I have had Pneumonia twice) I work as a upperclass teacher in NRW's highest incedence city and and live in NRW's number three.

Whether or not your health profile puts you into a higher risk group depends on your specific illnesses. Read the Impfverordnung or ask your doctor to determine your priority level. 

Contact your employer regarding eligibility due to your occupation.