9,781 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

Governments should Just publish the stats, and let people decide themselves.

Don’t ban jabs for certain age groups.

People are perfectly able to weigh up to take AZ, j and j, or others. 

It wouldn't make a difference as people have accepted certain narratives and facts and data won't change that.

No matter how many problems there are with the vaccines, the number of fatalities or complications will always fall within an acceptable range.   No matter how many excess deaths from overdoses, suicide, murder, and missed screening appointments, the values will be deemed acceptable.    No matter how many business failures, incidences of spouse and child abuse, and increases in the deleterious effects of poverty, e.g. poor nutrition, the rate will be deemed "worth it" and always in an acceptable range.

versus

No matter how low the fatality rate of COVID is, it will never reach an acceptable range until the State says so.

When the narrative changes, independent of the data, then people will change their minds. 

Vaccine hesitancy in Mississippi and elsewhere and how it effects herd immunity.

When it comes to getting the coronavirus vaccine, Mississippi residents have an abundance of options. On Thursday, there were more than 73,000 slots to be had on the state’s scheduling website, up from 68,000 on Tuesday.

In some ways, the growing glut of appointments in Mississippi is something to celebrate: It reflects the mounting supplies that have prompted states across the country to open up eligibility to anyone over 16.

But public health experts say the pileup of unclaimed appointments in Mississippi exposes something more worrisome: the large number of people who are reluctant to get inoculated.

the rest

I was wondering who picks up the tab in the US if an uninsured person needs medical treatment after a reaction to a vaccine?

42 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Anyone care to hazard a guess why we dropped back like this yesterday?

It was Friday, everything finishes at lunch time!:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, balticus said:

No matter how many problems there are with the vaccines, the number of fatalities or complications will always fall within an acceptable range.

Now you´re so lacking arguments you´re actually going down the anti vaxx route.

Perhaps they were right when they said you had an agenda.

Comparing apples and Brazilian soybeans.   

The key difference is that a huge percentage of Amish households ( i believe the article uses 90%) had at least one infection.    The scale is completely different as well.

More importantly, the lack of internet and television eliminates the effect of constant fear mongering.   

As long as they don`t mix with anyone,so no selling stuff at market,no rumspringas etc then they will be fine because as we know it is eminently possible to get Covid twice.

More importantly, the lack of internet and television eliminates the effect of constant fear mongering.   

And this is why you appear on most peoples ignore list.

Never posted this before,but I am putting you on my ignore list.

I`m telling you this to save you the time posting on this board because unless you want to spend all your time corresponding with J2 and johng then there´s really no point in you posting anymore.

I´ve read your lies,truth twisting,misdirection for so long and it´s always been shall we say "interesting" to me how someone can do all that without having an agenda but now you´ve gone down the anti vaxx road it does show you had an agenda all along.I´ve no idea why you have an agenda but feel free to carrying on lying on here etc but remember you´re being hear by no one.

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

But public health experts say the pileup of unclaimed appointments in Mississippi exposes something more worrisome: the large number of people who are reluctant to get inoculated.

I´ve no idea how it works in the US but I know here when someone cancels an appointment or misses it a lot of the time it´s due to them making appts in various centres and taking the first one available.

9 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I´ve no idea how it works in the US but I know here when someone cancels an appointment or misses it a lot of the time it´s due to them making appts in various centres and taking the first one available.

Yet they have at least 73,000 vaccines left over. If those people went elsewhere, they would have been used.

20 hours ago, Keleth said:

as we know it is eminently possible to get Covid twice.

Eminently - to a notable degree, very. 

It is indeed quite rare.   The Lancet claims at least 80% protection.    A Dutch news site tracks cases of reinfection and claims there are less than 200 confirmed cases worldwide with another 12k suspected cases.    Now divide those numbers by 112 million.   

Please follow the science.   🤡

I fail to see what anything Balticus wrote outs him as an antivaxxer.

And even if it did, his opinion would be just as valid as anyone else’s.

Not on this thread, Oscar. Any legitimate doubts about the efficacy of a jab turns you into an anti-vaccine and some kind of fascist imperialist pig! 😂 

Govts right now are saying this one is suitable for the under-30s - oh, change of mind. The other one is suitable for the over-60s.. whoops, change of mind.

And this one is Russian or Chinese or from some other source. Oh, and this one is suitable for women taking the pill and the other one is suitable for ... forget.

And if you say Yes -  But - again you are some kind of fascist imperialist pig, thunder and lightening.

( My language here is very 70s, of course!😂. When everyone I disagreed with was a fascist, imperialist pig!😂)

Again, to clarify , I have had jabs for loads of stuff and will in future. Yellow fever, tetanus and all the rest of it.

I don’t want to get Covid or pass it on and have a sexy collection of masks meanwhile.

Can anyone guarantee the jab from company A B or C will be IT?

No.

I fail to see what anything Balticus wrote outs him as an antivaxxer.

This...

15 hours ago, Keleth said:
  22 hours ago, balticus said:

No matter how many problems there are with the vaccines, the number of fatalities or complications will always fall within an acceptable range.

Now read the rest of its post and that it is consistently misrepresenting data and thinks that the only way to achieve herd immunity was to have everything running as normal for which he consistently uses Sweden as an example on which it has been shown multiple times to be utterly wrong.

It also says that any decrease in cases now will be misconstrued as being down to vaccines.

So although it doesn´t state in so many words "im anti vaxx" that is where it is leading.

Plus when you´ve read1000s of words posted by someone on a variety of subjects you have the general gist of what sort of views they hold.

And even if it did, his opinion would be just as valid as anyone else’s.

So if I said your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries that would be a valid opinion in your eyes ?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that does not make that opinion valid.

And if someone has an opinion that you don´t agree with then that is exactly why the ignore function is there.

10 hours ago, john g. said:

Is it offensive to criticize those who have a different democratic opinion? Do you really feel I’m belittling people?

Not my intention.

No but they may have taken this as offensive...

12 hours ago, john g. said:

I think it is childish. Kindergarten level.

Basically anyone who uses ignore is childish.

Doesn´t offend me at all but it obviously does someone.

9 hours ago, john g. said:

Can anyone guarantee the jab from company A B or C will be IT?

No.

This is actually you using a salient point to argue something.

This is not the usual "i´m not anti vaxx but...." line of reasoning from you.

33 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Now read the rest of its post and that it is consistently misrepresenting data and thinks that the only way to achieve herd immunity was to have everything running as normal for which he consistently uses Sweden as an example on which it has been shown multiple times to be utterly wrong.

It also says that any decrease in cases now will be misconstrued as being down to vaccines.

So although it doesn´t state in so many words "im anti vaxx" that is where it is leading.

Plus when you´ve read1000s of words posted by someone on a variety of subjects you have the general gist of what sort of views they hold.

My first remark was quite general to make the argument that people make decisions based on narratives and not on data.   Since this is the Coronavirus thread (sometime co-opted by Ignore Feature metachat) i used two examples which appear on this board.  

Everyone in my family is up to date on their vaccinations.    We trust the standard vaccines which have not only undergone testing, but also have years of data to provide a robust picture of their safety. 

It is a fact that the manufacturers of the COVID-19 vaccines have been given liability waivers, and this vaccine is the first mRNA vaccine to be rolled out to the public.    The clinical trials have been accelerated.      My family and I are very active.    We get out in the sun almost every day and we exercise almost every day.   We eat well and we are not overweight.   Our perception of risk is that the measures from COVID, i.e. lockdowns, masks, school closures and isolation of the elderly are a more threat to public health and social welfare than the virus is.    We accept the fact that other people have different risk profiles, but believe that they may not respect the rights of those who do not have the same risk profile.   

Since i started posting the ranking of deaths / 1m from worldometer, Sweden has fallen from number 14 in Europe to number 22.    If you will remember, a flat earther from Portugal was explaining how much wiser in its approach than Sweden given their comparable populations.   And then Portugal just sort of experienced another wave.    

Question for you:    if a control like Sweden, Florida, or Texas can actually experience success without restrictions, why would that bother you?     If an area like France, Spain, Germany, New York, New Jersey, or Michigan has very tight restrictions,  but still fails to control the spread, why does that not bother you?     Back to the idea that you have accepted a narrative, and no amount of data will change your belief.    ;) 

The virus is gonna virus.  

Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 08.06.18.png

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

When someone has spent multiple years on the wrong side of Every. Single. Argument you tend to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Human nature's funny like that.

According to Lauterbach everyone in Germany could be offered a first vaccination by 1 July if they stretched the interval between vaccinations to 12 weeks not only for the AZ, but for all the vaccines (as e.g. Canada has decided to do). As there aren't enough data yet to prove that this wouldn't decrease efficacy though the relevant authority (STIKO) won't recommend that. And without that recommendation politicians won't act accordingly. I hope they will change their minds.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

And without that recommendation politicians won't act accordingly. I hope they will change their minds.

And what if it does decrease the efficacy of the vaccine to say 50% ?

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

This...

So if I said your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries that would be a valid opinion in your eyes ?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that does not make that opinion valid.

And if someone has an opinion that you don´t agree with then that is exactly why the ignore function is there.

No but they may have taken this as offensive...

Basically anyone who uses ignore is childish.

Doesn´t offend me at all but it obviously does someone.

This is actually you using a salient point to argue something.

This is not the usual "i´m not anti vaxx but..." line of reasoning from you.

I’m improving!😂