8,594 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Don’t respond then - not the same as worrying about the ignore function.

You seem to be the only one worrying about the ignore function. It is there for a reason. :o

I am not worrying about it! It may be there for a reason! But so unimportant! Champions League games have started!😂

2 hours ago, jeba said:

As they say: medicus non calculat. :P

They’re good at the bills, though!

Then their maths are good!😂

2 hours ago, john g. said:

I think the ignore function is a bit childish.

I find that an annoying attitude.

We have to wade through loads of spats between people who hate each other's posts, have nothing helpful to say to each other and generally junk up the landscape for everyone.

If those people used the ignore function, life would improve for everyone. eg you and spiderpig. No-one gains from those exchanges. He is not going to stop, and you often respond. Pointless, ignore, it all goes away.

If you use it, it allows you to read a specific post if you think there might be something worth reading.

The only person I have ever ignored was luna because she would tell people that their personal experience was rubbish. That is unbelievably rude - I cannot imagine saying that to a person's face during a conversation, and it is so unnecessary. I have indeed read specific posts since then, and discovered nothing worth reading, so I don't bother anymore. Not that I think she has been posting for a while. 

There are plenty of irritating posters, and those whose attitude almost always stinks, etc. but there is the occasional one that pushes one's buttons, and I for one do not find it 'childish' to spare the community my ranting about something which is in the end utterly pointless and uninteresting. I wish more people made use of it. 

Let's face it, some people post so much crap or are just after attention or just here to wind others up, they are asking to be ignored.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, not the right to have other listen to it, others take it seriously or for others to take their time to chat about it. Some people not only don't deserve it, they haven't earned it either.

Best option is to just put them on ignore. Some of them won't notice, some spit their dummies out, self importance and desperation crying out at the unjust way in which people are taking away their right to be heard. A right in their head at least. To the rest of us it is just people ignoring that annoying kid on class, the one no one likes, not because people are mean, but because they have shown they are not really worth the time or the effort. 

I'm not pointing this at any particular users unless the cap fits, but no one here has the right to be heard, no one has to listen to you, no one has to read what you write.

Anyone could say 'well, I don't have to read what you write' - well, except if you go this far, you did :lol:

9 hours ago, john g. said:

I think the ignore function is a bit childish. Just ignore a particular post- not necessarily the poster.

Another post by the same poster on a different thread/topic might be interesting.

I don't agree with that, john g.    Every participant should manage their ignore list to maximize the enjoyment and utility of their forum experience.   

But let's distinguish two methods of putting another user on ignore (note:   i am using a Mac):

Method I

1.  Place the cursor on the user's name.

2.  Choose the option at the bottom "Ignore User" on the popup.

3.  Follow the simple steps to complete the process.

4.  Continue using the forum.

Method II

1.  Announce to the entire forum the intent to block user XYZ because of their posts cause irritation, frustration, offence, discomfort, boredom, and/or other negative feelings.

2.  Ask for help in using the ignore function and repeat to the world your intent to block user XYZ.

3.  Divert the main discussion to again remind people that you are blocking user XYZ.

4.  Receive help in using the ignore function from a friendly participant and complete the ignore precedure.

5.  Thank that person and remind the forum that it is such a relief that you no longer need to read the posts of user XYZ.

6.  When you observe another user responding to user XYZ, remind the forum that you don't see their posts because, again, for the zillionth time, you have user XYZ on ignore.   

7.  Encourage others to ignore with user XYZ and remind others that you have XYZ on ignore.    Those reminders never get old and cannot be repeated too often.  

8.  Respond to user XYZ's posts indirectly, reminding everyone again that you have user XYZ on ignore (in case they have forgotten), but justify the response in the name of defending the integrity of the forum and protecting infrequent visitors from dangerous opinions.   

9.  From time to time, declare that the forum is much more peaceful or usable than it was since you put XYZ on ignore.

10.  After a few days, weeks or months, announce to the forum that in the spirit of open discussion or because of technical problems, your ignore list was somehow cleared out, but after just a short time, you found user XYZ's posts so troubling that you are again putting them on ignore.   

I find Method II infinitely more entertaining though i have never used it myself.    😂

The vaccine delivery and distribution problems in EU countries, and Germany in particular, will create a very uncomfortable situation for some politicians and TT participants.

The success of easing or complete abandonment of restrictions in places like Florida, Texas, and Sweden will be incorrectly attributed to the vaccinations.    Delays in the vaccination process will allow some government bodies to continue the restrictions and delay facing the massive economic and social problems which will need to be addressed upon opening.   

insufficient vaccination rate ==> continued restrictions ==>  delay the uncomfortable reckoning.  

11 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Clear cookies,

log out,

restart browser,

Thanks. Didn´t work though unless I found out you need to actively choose what exactly you want to ignore (posts, messages or signatures). Now it works.

On 4/5/2021, 8:37:46, balticus said:

or experience long term effects from the illness, but they are exception, not the norm.   

Still no data for this yet eh.

On 4/6/2021, 6:15:33, balticus said:

As Keleth has noted, but failed to follow through with a conclusion, some places with masking, distancing, and lockdowns have not seen infection rates different from those without those measures. 

Where did I note that ?

I remember noting 2 of your 3 examples had more new cases except Texas which was roughly equivalent to California.Sweden has the highest amount of new cases yet by far the smallest population density of the 4 so something doesn´t add up with your success theory.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

The success of easing or complete abandonment of restrictions in places like Florida, Texas, and Sweden

What success ?

When they have more new cases daily than your favourite comparison (California) then it is not a success.

Just because something has opened up and seems normal does not make it a success.

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

If those people used the ignore function, life would improve for everyone. eg you and spiderpig. No-one gains from those exchanges. He is not going to stop, and you often respond. Pointless, ignore, it all goes away.

Just because you choose to ignore certain people it does not mean that everyone should ignore them.

I ignore many on here but the ones I tend to ignore are the puerile twats (I think you can guess most of them).

There are a couple of posters I most definitely don´t agree with but their posts are often an example of the exact opposite side of the argument or an example to how much someone will bend the truth to get their point across.

This is a discussion board not a board where you have to have a set opinion to post and anyone not of the same opinion shouldn´t be heard.

24 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

- unfortunately, one has to subscribe to be able to read the article...

Strange. I didn't have to. 

20 minutes ago, bramble said:

Strange. I didn't have to. 

Don't have to...

Try googling:

ft bolsonaro isolated

methinks the IT at the  FT needs to work on its paywall😉

4000 daily deaths and spreading variants across the continent. Time to impeach...

6 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Don't have to...

Try googling:

methinks the IT at the  FT needs to work on its paywall😉

It’s set up that way to get new readers. You can read it if you click from Google search results or social media to encourage people to share articles and to allow non subscribers to “see what they’re missing” but only once or twice without clearing your cookies. 

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Just because you choose to ignore certain people it does not mean that everyone should ignore them.

I ignore many on here but the ones I tend to ignore are the puerile twats (I think you can guess most of them).

There are a couple of posters I most definitely don´t agree with but their posts are often an example of the exact opposite side of the argument or an example to how much someone will bend the truth to get their point across.

This is a discussion board not a board where you have to have a set opinion to post and anyone not of the same opinion shouldn´t be heard.

I'd mostly agree with this.

However in a few cases I'd say that most people on here agree that a few users are, as you put it, puerile twats.

I don't see myself as anyone that should ignore someone like that just because others are, but I will if I choose.

Anyone can post here, being heard, that depends on people listening. Anyone being ignored by members of TT has generally proven themselves worthy of being on someone's ignore list (from the point of the person ignoring them). I'm guessing I am on the odd ignore list or two.

I'd argue that a person's right to ignore someone is actually greater than anyone other person's right to be heard. As you rightly say, this is a discussion board (it's a bit more than that, we also give out free advice, snark and sarcasm) but that doesn't mean people have to actually listen to anyone, but anyone can post. No one can force anyone to talk to anyone, this isn't junior school where the teacher wants everyone to be included, we are not in a teen drama where people are being ignored just because they have the wrong hair colour or don't wear the right clothes, it is also mostly an artificial semi-social group where discussion tends to be channeled into highly emotional topics. Most people on here do not know each other personally or to any extent where we would talk about normal life. The major post weight on here since 2014 has been refugees, American politics and brexit.  

When I meet up with people in real life those topics get mentioned, but it's not the entire evening, it moves on. How is the job going, which beer is that, what was wrong in the city yesterday, anyone got any advice on [some topic or problem].

Now imagine meeting some of the people you ignore on here socially, how long would it take you to ignore them in real life as well? How long to change seats, come a bit late so you get to see where they are sitting and not sit there etc? Imagine asking for advice in that social setting and getting some of the answers people get on here. How long would you talk to a person who has spent 10 minutes explaining how much of an idiot you are for not having read 1000's of internet pages son the topic you are asking about or to someone that is just not interested in your advice, but that you confirm what they are going to do is right and correct? 

And lets be honest, there is a real difference between someone who is just abrasive and people who just try to wind people up for attention and/or just insult people. Example would be the user that racially insulted Dessa a few weeks back. I see no reason why I have to read that and I can put them on ignore should I wish. Actually my way is to try to wind them up until they are red in the face and then put them on ignore. That's generally easy as people who come here to insult and wind up are generally have emotional problems and anger issues. Wind them up, ignore them and just know that they will explode at home.

As you say, this is a discussion board, it is not an insult/wind up/verbal attack board, at least not unless is allowed to be.    

@cb6dba I have to agree with you there. My ignore list reads like a who's who of former trolls and serial bullies, who, by the way, mostly no longer post here because they got on so many ignore lists that they dumped that moniker for a new one. Thankfully, the serial imbeciles are so transparent that they almost always give themselves away, thus, landing again on ignore lists. You'll notice that it's mostly people who know they are on ignore lists who want other posters not to use the ignore feature.

Now that we know that everyone is an adult and can utilise the ignore feature, let us move on from the incessant navel gazing and return to the EU’s/Germany’s many and unending failures ...

46 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@cb6dba I have to agree with you there. My ignore list reads like a who's who of former trolls and serial bullies, who, by the way, mostly no longer post here because they got on so many ignore lists that they dumped that moniker for a new one. Thankfully, the serial imbeciles are so transparent that they almost always give themselves away, thus, landing again on ignore lists. You'll notice that it's mostly people who know they are on ignore lists who want other posters not to use the ignore feature.

:D