9,797 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, john g. said:

No axe to grind here on my part, no binary ideology on my part nor conspiracy wishes on my part.

This guy sounds sensible to me with my non- medical background. 
Opinions from others here? 

He's an idiot. But that's normal with doctors, we give them way too much credit. I also have a relative doctor who swears the moon cycle has influence on birth days. Idiot.

His main point is that if you had it, you have antibodies, so you don't need the vaccine.

Points against:

• he completely ignores the vast number of people who won't recover nicely as he has
  • he completely ignores the economical impact of not vaccinating large number of the population quickly
  • he is assuming that antibodies from having the disease are long lasting. They are not
  • he is assming that antibodies from having the disease are better than from vacinne. This is false. At best, they are equal
  • in the end, he is a doctor, but can't do math. Idiot.

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

He's an idiot.

No, he´s right (except when he makes it sound as if all antibody levels were equal). I´m too lazy though to waste my digital ink to explain why. If I was in his shoes I´d simply monitor my antibody levels and as long as they´re sufficiently high (the problem is that probably nobody knows yet how high that is) I´d not get vaccinated. If I was really worried about a hyperimmune response I might simply reduce the dose I´m getting vaccinated with and check the response of my antibody levels a few weeks thereafter. And keep monitoring every few months.

Wow. Didn't realize Mike was a doctor. He's so knowledgeable. Is there anything you don't know about Mike?

Here is a forecast for vaccination for Q2:

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-eu-pulls-out-all-stops-to-boost-vaccine-rollout/a-57117948

Basically they expect at least triple of the number of vaccines compared with Q1.

This would roughly mean we should have 44 millions of people with at least one vaccine by end of June. That's 50% of the population.

This number can be higher, considering the distribution of the vaccine between first and second shot.

And there are 50 million one-dose from J&J.

All considered, it can go between 50-65% of the (total) population vaccinated with at least one dose. And around 20% with both. That's very, very good. It also means herd immunity could be achieved in August. Bear in mind: it takes at least 3 weeks for an inoculation to have full effect.

I think this is what we need to have a good summer.

Another positive point is that the majority will be from Pfizer.

11 hours ago, jeba said:

Thanks. It worked. My tongue was already bleeding from biting on it when reading balticus´s provocations.

I have to correct myself. Even though he is still shown on my "ignore-List" I can still see his posts. Why is that?

28 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, he´s right (except when he makes it sound as if all antibody levels were equal). I´m too lazy though to waste my digital ink to explain why. If I was in his shoes I´d simply monitor my antibody levels and as long as they´re sufficiently high (the problem is that probably nobody knows yet how high that is) I´d not get vaccinated. If I was really worried about a hyperimmune response I might simply reduce the dose I´m getting vaccinated with and check the response of my antibody levels a few weeks thereafter. And keep monitoring every few months.

That's why doctors are terrible at this. Your and his proposal is a gigantic logistic nightmare. Not to mention end results are worse.

22 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Wow. Didn't realize Mike was a doctor. He's so knowledgeable. Is there anything you don't know about Mike?

I know doctors in general are terrible with math and we give them way too much credit.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I know doctors in general are terrible with math

As they say: medicus non calculat. :P

13 minutes ago, jeba said:

I have to correct myself. Even though he is still shown on my "ignore-List" I can still see his posts. Why is that?

Clear cookies,

log out,

restart browser,

I think the ignore function is a bit childish. Just ignore a particular post- not necessarily the poster.

Another post by the same poster on a different thread/topic might be interesting.

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

I think the ignore function is a bit childish. Just ignore a particular post- not necessarily the poster.

Another post by the same poster on a different thread/topic might be interesting.

Until recently I shared that view. But it got to a point where it was costing too much discipline to not reply to his nonsense.

So just don’t reply! It’s not rocket science!

No one HAS to reply to a poster with their particular post.

And there are times when people have objected to your posts/ opinions on here. How about if you had been put on “ ignore “ but had made valid points about something and had been ignored?

Ok, ego comes into the equation but sometimes people make good comments and are consigned to nothingness by other people’s hysteria. 

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I just saw on CNN that Bavaria has ordered the Sputnik V vaccine. I think 3 million doses.

I'm not surprised, despite the forecasts I'm not seeing them getting it from anywhere else.:angry: What does that tell you about the EU???

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I just saw on CNN that Bavaria has ordered the Sputnik V vaccine. I think 3 million doses.

I didn’t know the different Bundesländer had THAT amount of autonomy. Something new to learn every day!

13 minutes ago, john g. said:

No one HAS to reply to a poster with their particular post.

I know, that´s why I had stopped responding to him. But merely reading it increases my blood pressure - so I´d rather not.

9 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I'm not surprised, despite the forecasts I'm not seeing them getting it from anywhere else.:angry: What does that tell you about the EU???

That they´ve been exporting too much.

Settle down!👍

Don’t respond then - not the same as worrying about the ignore function.

21 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Quite. These people are not going to get their shit together anytime soon.

Covid-19 vaccinations at the Messe and Arena Berlin centres were halted on Tuesday afternoon after a delivery of doses failed to show up. 81,000 Biontech/Pfizer shots due to arrive were held up due to “technical problems”, leading to the postponement of around 1500 appointments. The delay comes as Berlin attempts to speed up its vaccine programme by offering jabs via family doctors. Starting Tuesday, GP surgeries began receiving their first vaccine deliveries, though with a daily supply of only 20 doses per practice, the campaign is off to a slow start.

https://www.exberliner.com/berlin-english-news-blog/