10,045 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Isn't AZ the one developed in Oxford?

Yes, WTF has that got to do with it?

33 minutes ago, Mackle said:

So it's not just the stuff that Italy stopped from being exported to Australia then?

No that was a batch of 250k doses.

Something I don't really understand is this:

Italy seemed to know that that shipment (presumably from this plant) was destined for Australia, but in an article today I read that the Italian plant (it is just a sub contractor, not an AZ facility) receives bulk vaccine from the actual production sites and then after putting it in vials ship ALL of it to AZ's distribution facility in Belgium, with management of the Italian plant claiming that they have no knowledge of where it goes from there. That's kind of odd to me.

32 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Disastrazeneca?! Have you seen the data coming out of the UK with this stuff being used on a large scale? 

It’s a life saver, and I am 100% grateful I have a single AZ dose in me.

It's just a little joke. Don't take it too seriously ;-) I would also be glad to have it.

14 minutes ago, murphaph said:

No that was a batch of 250k doses.

Something I don't really understand is this:

Italy seemed to know that that shipment (presumably from this plant) was destined for Australia, but in an article today I read that the Italian plant (it is just a sub contractor, not an AZ facility) receives bulk vaccine from the actual production sites and then after putting it in vials ship ALL of it to AZ's distribution facility in Belgium, with management of the Italian plant claiming that they have no knowledge of where it goes from there. That's kind of odd to me.

250K doses... the way that some UK news outlets have reported it, is as if VdL has personally wrecked the entire Australian vaccine program with sanctions.  It's amazing how this thread intertwines with the Brexit thread!

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

backed off anyway given the intensity of my widened eyeballs and the pushing-away motions of my hands

Maybe concerned that you might demonstrate the "dangerous" part of your TT name...

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

one guy looked so hurt that I explained to him, it's nothing personal buddy, but you're wearing your mask wrong

...okay, perhaps not :P

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Yes, WTF has that got to do with it?

Do you answer questions like this in real life?

'Excuse me, is this the way to the train station?' - WTF has that got to do with anything?

I'll have the roast dinner, with beef please.

Would you like peas and carrots?

WTF has that got to do with it?

Welcome to the beer tent, how many beers would you like?

WTF has that got to do with it?

Must get crazy down in Munich when you go out shopping. 

4 hours ago, Mackle said:

250K doses... the way that some UK news outlets have reported it, is as if VdL has personally wrecked the entire Australian vaccine program with sanctions.  It's amazing how this thread intertwines with the Brexit thread!

Straya is manufacturing 800,000 AZ shots a week in CSL labs in Melbourne, aiming for 1 miilion a week by mid/end April.

800K shots approved, available and being delivered nationally right now, except for some doctors cut off by the floods. 2 million awaiting final batch approval. They'll be fine...and of course, they are getting some Pfizer deliveries too.

1 hour ago, kaju said:

Straya is manufacturing 800,000 AZ shots a week in CSL labs in Melbourne, aiming for 1 miilion a week by mid/end April.

800K shots approved, available and being delivered nationally right now, except for some doctors cut off by the floods. 2 million awaiting final batch approval. They'll be fine...and of course, they are getting some Pfizer deliveries too.

Australia and New Zealand are really killing it on the COVID front. Things are opening up, mask free, life returning to normal. In Germany, we have Angela Merkel twerking on TV apologising for about faces all the while we have to suffer through a disastrous shortfall of vaccines. Props to Straya.

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Do you answer questions like this in real life?

Only to really really dumb questions!

The vaccination portal for Niedersachsen just got updated again.  All people aged 70 or older automatically get on the waiting list.  You can now book for groups of up to 15 people as well.  The current occupations of priority as well as medical conditions as follows:

NS_impfberechtigung.jpg.06ef3265205ae56e

11 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Only to really really dumb questions!

You seem sensitive today.

People take note, asking where a vaccine was produced, on the thread about the virus it was designed to vaccinate against, is now categorized as a stupid question.

Something stupid is there alright, it wasn't my question though.

I've mentioned this before - do NOT ask ANY questions about the vaccine or you are an evil anti-vaxxer. :wacko:

46 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I've mentioned this before - do NOT ask ANY questions about the vaccine or you are an evil anti-vaxxer. :wacko:

So one should never mention the Spanish inqui - I mean the vaccine...

Finally we are seeing admissions from the UK (Hancock) that the UK has tied AZ in to an exclusivity deal, at least from its plants in the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/25/eu-leaders-push-back-against-blocs-plans-to-halt-covid-vaccine-export

But the UK health secretary, Matt Hancock, has warned the EU that the UK had contract law on its side. “I believe that free trading nations follow the law of contracts,” he told the Financial Times. “They have a ‘best efforts’ contract and we have an exclusivity deal.”

Unfortunately AZ had no business signing such a deal as it directly contravenes the contract this fly by night company signed with the EU (the best efforts clause explicitly states that AZ aren't engaged with any other party that might jeopardise their ability to actually make a best effort!!!)

The Council President said that the UK had a contract that effectively amounted to an export ban and there was uproar from the UK over this. Now after another 2 or 3 weeks of ducking and diving and weasel words, the health secretary in an almost matter of fact way says "yeah, our contract trumps theirs".

The EU needs to work on its own capacity asap and to hell with the UK and their self serving contracts which amount to an export ban by any other name. If the SA variant kicks off every one will will be looking for mRNA vaccines anyway, which seem to be more quickly modified to cope with new variants. 

3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

You seem sensitive today.

People take note, asking where a vaccine was produced, on the thread about the virus it was designed to vaccinate against, is now categorized as a stupid question.

Something stupid is there alright, it wasn't my question though.

If you had read the article in the link, as I suggested, or even the following posts on the theme that should have answered the question and then if you still did not understand there is always Google and Wikipedia!

Asking a question when the answer has  already been given is a stupid question, but just for you the following link may hopefully enlighten you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford–AstraZeneca_COVID-19_vaccine

On 20.3.2021, 19:54:54, oscar 63 said:

Does anyone know where it is possible to see a breakdown in incidence rates? It is such a broad brush  - I would like to know ages where these incidences are rising, where they largely family transmitted, where in my city, etcetera. I cant find this data anywhere. Is it even collected? Surely this would be a more effective way of stemming this?

I agree that it is down to vaccinations and more targeted testing. Not locking down the entire country.

www.welt.de:

"According to observations by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the role of children and adolescents in the spread of the new coronavirus seems to be changing. The number of Covid 19 cases increased in all age groups, but especially in children and adolescents, according to the RKI's latest online management report. For the majority of cases, the site of infection is not known. Outbreaks currently affect private households in particular, but increasingly also day-care centres, schools and professional environments, while the number of outbreaks in old people's homes and nursing homes has decreased.

According to the RKI data, the 7-day incidences among children up to 14 years of age have more than doubled nationwide in the past four weeks - to more than 100 cases per 100,000 inhabitants at last count. For paediatricians, however, increased testing may play a role in addition to the increasing opening of day-care centres and schools.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

10 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

For paediatricians, however, increased testing may play a role in addition to the increasing opening of day-care centres and schools.

Ah, yes - the infamous "there wouldn't be any virus if they stopped testing" argument.

605c9ff7b8d20_ezgif-1-3d70416c7e691.gif.

11 minutes ago, Jonny said:

You test more kids - you pick up more positives, even if they are asymptomatic. Isn't that obvious ?

Even if they are asymptomatic they can still easily pass it on to their unsuspecting parents (or anyone else with whom they come in contact).

11 minutes ago, Jonny said:

You test more kids - you pick up more positives, even if they are asymptomatic. Isn't that obvious ?

Obvious, but not unambiguous. That's why the public health authorities are often more concerned with the positive test rate (number of positive tests out of the total number of tests) than the absolute numbers of people who contract the virus.