9,797 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, john g. said:

In Brazil, one serious problem is the President’s attitude..

What you need is a good crisis to show incompetence.

Sort of the same here, Luke. We’re off to buy a decent supply of cat food in town tomorrow in case the lockdown worsens and  we aren’t allowed into town!

Claws crossed!❤️😂

5 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

What you need is a good crisis to show incompetence.

The Peter Principle? I think? Can’t remember.

German lockdown extended past Easter until 11th April, in response to 3rd wave infections...

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

German lockdown extended past Easter until 11th April, in response to 3rd wave infections...

And everything closed between 1-5 April, except supermarkets on 3 April only? This is getting absurd to the Nth degree. We'll be back in a nationwide hard lockdown with curfew soon enough. 

"What we have is essentially a new pandemic," Chancellor Angela Merkel said in the early hours of Tuesday morning after marathon, 12-hour meeting between federal and state leaders on Monday night. She asserted that the new variants prevalent in Germany are "significantly more deadly, significantly more infectious" than at the start of the pandemic.

Then let's start vaccinating at a pace commensurate with the urgency of the situation ...

47 minutes ago, Fritsen said:

Then let's start vaccinating at a pace commensurate with the urgency of the situation ...

Presently 900 a month in my nearest vaccination centre in France...:blink:

No that is not a typo.

22 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Tomorrow, I get the result. Fingers crossed 👍.

I'm negative! Still have a dry throat/mouth and feel tired, but it's not corona.

1 hour ago, Fritsen said:

And everything closed between 1-5 April, except supermarkets on 3 April only? This is getting absurd to the Nth degree. We'll be back in a nationwide hard lockdown with curfew soon enough. 

they

dont

have

enough

vaccines 

1 hour ago, Fritsen said:

But isn't it the same here every Easter weekend?  Everything in Germany closes on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.  Maybe if the supermarkets close on Thursday the 1st, then it's an extra day, but it's not really that different to every other year.

35 minutes ago, Tap said:

But isn't it the same here every Easter weekend?  Everything in Germany closes on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.  Maybe if the supermarkets close on Thursday the 1st, then it's an extra day, but it's not really that different to every other year.

Everything will be shut down from Thursday next week until Easter Monday.

No pharmacies, no drugstores, no nothing will be open. No bank, no post office.

I don't know about takeaway; and DHL said they'll deliver as usual (I hope so; #perishablegoods) when I called. Deutsche Post wasn't certain.

And only food supplies for human consumption will be sold on Saturday then. Nothing else.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/bayern-corona-regeln-ostern-aktuell-1.4878824

5 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Everything will be shut down from Thursday next week until Easter Monday.

No pharmacies, no drugstores, no nothing will be open. No bank, no post office.

I don't know about takeaway; and DHL said they'll deliver as usual (I hope so; #perishablegoods) when I called. Deutsche Post wasn't certain.

And only food supplies for human consumption will be sold on Saturday then. Nothing else.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/bayern-corona-regeln-ostern-aktuell-1.4878824

I still don't see how that is much different to any other Easter weekend here in Germany, apart from adding the Thursday.  I have no doubt there will be emergency pharmacies, as there are every weekend, and the rest can surely wait until Tuesday, or buy whatever you need beforehand.

6 minutes ago, Tap said:

I still don't see how that is much different to any other Easter weekend here in Germany, apart from adding the Thursday.  I have no doubt there will be emergency pharmacies, as there are every weekend, and the rest can surely wait until Tuesday, or buy whatever you need beforehand.

Think of all the people who planned ahead and ordered groceries to be delivered on Thursday. All of them as well as everyone else who was planning on shopping for Easter on Thursday will have to find time either before or after. I try not to go grocery shopping on Easter Saturday because it a zoo. I think many people have criticised the fact it'll mean more people shopping at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Think of all the people who planned ahead and ordered groceries to be delivered on Thursday. All of them as well as everyone else who was planning on shopping for Easter on Thursday will have to find time either before or after. I try not to go grocery shopping on Easter Saturday because it a zoo. I think many people have criticised the fact it'll mean more people shopping at the same time. 

Good point, maybe that's a problem for some people. I never go supermarket shopping on the Thursday or Saturday of Easter week, if I don't have it by Wednesday, then I do without. It's not like we can have lots of people around to visit anyway, 5 people from 2 households I think.

Everything will be open again on Tuesday.

13 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I try not to go grocery shopping on Easter Saturday because it a zoo. I think many people have criticised the fact it'll mean more people shopping at the same time. 

Thanks for trying to avoid the rush, Engelchen!

Unfortunately, the extra "day off" will simply mean that more people come shopping on the Wednesday and Saturday and it will be hell to work in a supermarket on these days!

Quite honestly, what good is a long weekend of lockdown going to do to help the general situation, where you already have a population sick-to-death of corona-prevention and lockdowns?

As it stands, people are so used to being warned about things that they simply forget to keep a distance, and often have to be asked to pull their mask up from under their chin!

If anybody wants my opinion, it is that there should be a lockdown to end all lockdowns - everybody, and I mean everybody should have to stay at home or within a 3km radius for several weeks. This would, hopefully, prevent the virus from spreading from one area to another, and also from one person to another - either a family will have had it or it will not, by the time things re-open, and life can get back to normal.

@ Tap - and on Tuesday the supermarkets will go crazy again!!!

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We have plenty of time to stock up then.

Brotzeit anyone?

If the shit hits the fan, I could always do beans on toast on Easter Sunday and toast on beans on Easter Monday :).

34 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Thanks for trying to avoid the rush, Engelchen!

Unfortunately, the extra "day off" will simply mean that more people come shopping on the Wednesday and Saturday and it will be hell to work in a supermarket on these days!

Quite honestly, what good is a long weekend of lockdown going to do to help the general situation, where you already have a population sick-to-death of corona-prevention and lockdowns?

As it stands, people are so used to being warned about things that they simply forget to keep a distance, and often have to be asked to pull their mask up from under their chin!

If anybody wants my opinion, it is that there should be a lockdown to end all lockdowns - everybody, and I mean everybody should have to stay at home or within a 3km radius for several weeks. This would, hopefully, prevent the virus from spreading from one area to another, and also from one person to another - either a family will have had it or it will not, by the time things re-open, and life can get back to normal.

@ Tap - and on Tuesday the supermarkets will go crazy again!!!

Bloody hell.. just found out Thursday is a public holiday here. Oh no, supermarkets will be closed. So off in the forecast rain to town tomorrow😟

And it’s a BIGGIE- 200th anniversary of independence from Turkey/ Ottoman Empire. Time to reread the exploits of the poet Lord Byron, a national hero here.